Gary Holt

Killiepies

3 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

Can someone explaexplain why GH would leave a job where he says he is happy and it is clearly working for him to come to the shambles that is KFC. 

I'd imagine he would have more money to spend, be paid more himself and freedom to pick his own teams. Remember Martindale calls the shots at Livi

1 hour ago, piffer said:

For me the club should not be dictating to a manager who is on their staff. In terms of physios, sports science etc that should be in place but Assistant, coach and gk coach has to be the managers choice.

You’d think so but this boards inexperience wrt football minded people to consult and there perhaps desire to save some pennies has resulted in the current cobbled together management team 

4 hours ago, dasboag said:

Not a personal dig, but there are a lot of posts like this on this forum around Gary Holt.

Can someone please explain the whole Gary Holt is useless/the-world-revolves-around-Martindale character theory please?

Genuine question and I mean properly explain - use 'allegedly' if you need, but so many people seem to post from a position of being  'in-the-know' and seeing it over again reads like one of those tiresome Facebook posts where everyone else chimes in with "will PM you hunni.x." in response.

From my viewpoint Holt had the youth at Norwich, and was successful enough to be given charge of Falkirk.  I remember his Falkirk team being praised for good football.

Then went back to Norwich as Assistant Manager (I think) with Neil, did alright, but good for the CV. Since then has been in charge of a Livi side that remind me of Killie in the early 90s - difficult to beat and can grind out results parking the bus, with a real spirit and actually better going forward than they get credit for in games where it suits them.

Seems (to me) that Holt so far has been a man who adjusts well to his environment.  He has knowledge of several tiers of Scottish football and is dyed in the wool Killie.....whats not to like?  I could picture him as our next long-term manager, as in 5-10 years in charge - regardless of whether its this summer or 

•  

Well said. I'd never heard of 'Martindale'  until I saw his name on this forum. Looked him up and it appears he's dodgy. How does that translate into being  Gary Holt's puppet master at Livi.  I smell bulls**t. Go on  those who write this crap. Provide evidence or shut the f**k up. Holt for me as next manager.

Edited by cammy2012

2 minutes ago, Zorro said:

If, and I stress if, there’s a suspicion Martindale is Peter Taylor to Holt’s Brian Clough, just sign both. Who cares about his dodgy past, it’s a winning football team we’re trying to put together, not a church choir. 

It would also make a change to be able to get some decent gear in Killie. 

6 hours ago, skygod said:

We couldn’t chase Scott Robinson out of the club quickly enough.   

Sometimes it’s just a matter of the player being at the right club for him, and being given the chance to play.

He was one of the worst players I’ve ever seen for us. 

He plays much further forward for Livi. 

10 hours ago, dasboag said:

Can someone please explain the whole Gary Holt is useless/the-world-revolves-around-Martindale character theory please?

Presented with no opinion from me on whether its accurate or not - but the story is that Martindale is an excellent coach whose past means he can't be involved to the extent he would be otherwise. I've heard his convictions mean he can't do his coaching badges? No idea if that's true.

So the theory goes they need someone to be manager and let him do the work behind the scenes. There have been stories that Martindale does all the tactical work and largely sets up the team. 

I've heard alleged examples apparently from players that Holt is a good motivator and alright coach but his involvement in training is minimal. Will caveat that by saying its from sources who have turned out to be completely wrong about other things... But it's a story that does the rounds still. 

Will also add when you do hear these stories there's no indication that Holt isn't respected, it just seems to be presented that the system works. 

David Hopkin feeds into this. Livi played brilliantly under him and got those promotions. He was a complete disaster at Bradford and now has Morton massively underperforming in the Championship. The same stories went about about Hopkin and there was chat that was why he moved on so quickly (ie jumped quick because he knew he might never get a better offer).

There's then another layer above with Martindale which I don't follow fully which is that there is something dodgy going on at Livi on the business side and he is involved in that... Again - no idea what all that's about but it comes up. 

As I said - no idea whatsoever if any of that is true but those are the stories that get told. 

I haven't ever heard it suggested that Holt is useless though, more that there's a question mark about how he'd do on his own. 

1 hour ago, mitch14 said:

Presented with no opinion from me on whether its accurate or not - but the story is that Martindale is an excellent coach whose past means he can't be involved to the extent he would be otherwise. I've heard his convictions mean he can't do his coaching badges? No idea if that's true.

So the theory goes they need someone to be manager and let him do the work behind the scenes. There have been stories that Martindale does all the tactical work and largely sets up the team. 

I've heard alleged examples apparently from players that Holt is a good motivator and alright coach but his involvement in training is minimal. Will caveat that by saying its from sources who have turned out to be completely wrong about other things... But it's a story that does the rounds still. 

Will also add when you do hear these stories there's no indication that Holt isn't respected, it just seems to be presented that the system works. 

David Hopkin feeds into this. Livi played brilliantly under him and got those promotions. He was a complete disaster at Bradford and now has Morton massively underperforming in the Championship. The same stories went about about Hopkin and there was chat that was why he moved on so quickly (ie jumped quick because he knew he might never get a better offer).

There's then another layer above with Martindale which I don't follow fully which is that there is something dodgy going on at Livi on the business side and he is involved in that... Again - no idea what all that's about but it comes up. 

As I said - no idea whatsoever if any of that is true but those are the stories that get told. 

I haven't ever heard it suggested that Holt is useless though, more that there's a question mark about how he'd do on his own. 

Pretty sure Hopkins is doing a decent job at Morton at the moment. Think he just won the manager of the month award.