Closed doors

Killiepies

Looks like we will be playing behind closed doors if not this week almost certinly next 

All football matches in England will be played behind closed doors under government plans to combat coronavirus that could be triggered as early as today.

A meeting of the government’s Cobra committee this morning is expected to move its response to the pandemic from the “contain” phase to the “delay” phase. That will result in a crisis plan being unveiled for football. The Times can reveal:

● The current season will not be postponed and instead matches in the Premier League and lower divisions will be moved behind closed doors;

● All Premier League season-ticket holders and ticket holders for individual games will be able to stream coverage of matches into their homes;

● No games will be shown in pubs so as to avoid...*paywall*

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/games-to-be-played-behind-closed-doors-as-part-of-coronavirus-crisis-plan-h8bcxm2bj

2 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I doubt many folk would want the money back, especially up here where clubs are living hand to mouth as it is.

I wouldn't.

However, even given they retained the ST money, I think a government dictat that games must be played behind closed doors for say a month would financially ruin half to three quarters of all the clubs in Scotland. 

Having dipped into the PSG - Dortmund match last night, I wouldn’t want to watch any match played in an empty stadium. 

They should suspend the season now, with the likelihood that the current tables will be the definitive ones. 

Public health is much more important than any sport. 

Edited by skygod

39 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

I wouldn't.

However, even given they retained the ST money, I think a government dictat that games must be played behind closed doors for say a month would financially ruin half to three quarters of all the clubs in Scotland. 

I'd say most outside the top flight would be in grave danger.

Hoepfully the Huns game tonight goes closed doors (and the old firm) as itll cost them millions.

2 minutes ago, Fletch said:

The English Premier League are offering streams to ticket holders via iFollow if the matches are moved behind closed doors as expected. Surely something can be sorted out?

Does that lessen the impact ?  Surely people who don't have tickets are just going to go round to their mates/relatives to watch the games ? 

Unless people are skint, I would hope for no demands for money back or discounts next season. Why would we want the club to have less money to spend? Financial hit may be limited as most gate money is from season tickets. Revenue list but some costs saved. What a crazy season this has been. 

10 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Hoepfully the Huns game tonight goes closed doors (and the old firm) as itll cost them millions.

I expect the games this weekend to go ahead with fans as it is unlikely that the SFA will want to upset the Old Firm tie on Sunday.....but....I have been wrong before.....

12 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

You'd still get many of them turning up, like the PSG fans last night - the sense of entitlement that brought you "the big hoose must remain open".... 

1 minute ago, CBFC said:

I expect the games this weekend to go ahead with fans as it is unlikely that the SFA will want to upset the Old Firm tie on Sunday.....but....I have been wrong before.....

Aye. Media would go into meltdown if OF game was behind closed doors. 

Personally every OF game should be behind closed doors. Do society a favour. 

Be an announcement on Monday similar to what Ireland are doing. 

6 minutes ago, CBFC said:

I don’t think it’s in the SFA’s hands anymore. UK and Scottish governments will make the calls. First minister on TV this morning was pretty adamant about that. 

Scotland will ban mass gatherings of 500 or more in a bid to combat the spread of coronavirus.

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon announced the move will come into effect from next week to take some pressure off frontline healthcare workers.

Ms Sturgeon said: ‘The Health Secretary and I have decided this morning that we are minded that we will advise the cancellation, from the start of next week, of mass gatherings of 500 people or more.

‘Our emergency services are likely to suffer from higher than normal sickness absence rates in the weeks and months ahead and our NHS in particular will be under significant pressure. It’s important we protect that resilience as much as possible.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/12/scotland-bans-mass-gatherings-500-fight-coronavirus-12387556