All scottish games cancelled

Calummoore86

UEFA will postpone the Euros for a year, then issue an edict instructing all member states to complete their respective leagues in the freed-up time. No discussion. Remember ALL countries have the same quandary as us. It's the only logical way to solve this. All player contracts to be extended accordingly. Any country not complying would lose Euro spots for future season. And BTW no bleating from broadcastrs that it doesn't suit them. What's needed here is some realisation across the board that a solution is possible.

I don’t think there has been much change in the league placings over the course of the season. Where most are is pretty much where they’ve been all season. Ourselves St Johnstone and Hibs doing the most positional changes.
If we can come back in a month or so. Play out the three games to the split(four for St Johnstone and Rangers). That gives everyone but the top two the chance to fight for positions. From there we can go into the playoffs or scrap the playoffs for a season. One up one down. As a compensation for that we go two up, two down and a playoff next season. 
The leagues below the top flight could be stopped now. I think most have played each other three times. They could go to one up one down or they play out the playoffs from how things stand. 

Edited by piffer

Whatever is decided, some clubs will benefit, some will be disadvantaged. It's the disadvantaged clubs that will be shouting 'It's not fair!' and rightly so.

In the SPFL that would be Hearts, Hamilton (if they feel they can get out of the play-off place), St. Johnstone (top six finish) and Aberdeen (automatic Euro qualification.  All other SPFL clubs would only be affected by league position prize money.

38 minutes ago, skygod said:

And a six-club Championship.

The Scottish league is a pyramid system, teams from divisions below would get promoted. A good time to look at things like league reconstruction and summer football? This enforced break could be beneficial to the national game if the powers that be are clever about it. I suppose that's where it falls down.

7 minutes ago, ParkHotel said:

The Scottish league is a pyramid system, teams from divisions below would get promoted. A good time to look at things like league reconstruction and summer football? This enforced break could be beneficial to the national game if the powers that be are clever about it. I suppose that's where it falls down.

The original proposal seemed to be for a one-season solution. I was just pointing out that the proposal created other problems lower down. 

I don’t think a crisis is a good time for making wide-ranging plans for league reconstruction. 

Survival has to be the aim and then look at what’s still standing afterwards.

Something like summer football might eventually come from it but I don’t think this is the time for making lasting decisions.

15 minutes ago, kfc_superteam said:

Apparently the epl are seriously considering a 22 team pl  league next season. No relegation and two promoted. I think the spfl should do the same! 

What does it give you though ? Fourteen teams playing two home and one away, or vice versa, giving thirty nine games in total. Do you honestly see Celtic and Sevco agreeing to one of them getting an extra home game over the other ? 

1 minute ago, Mclean07 said:

Season must be completed. Streamlining of the League Cup, or making it a youth cup for one year, no Scottish cup replays and perhaps one leg European qualifiers would all help. 

This season is over.  If peaks in 8 weeks, you can look at another 8-16 weeks minimum before you can even think about football.  A single case in either squad could KO fixtures as seen this week.  Could be a year, unless so many people get coronavirus its seriousness is downgraded, but given effect on the eldery seems unlikely. The Scottish cup should still be played even if it's December and 5 a side indoors, just to settle it IMO.  As UEFA competitions start in June, next season will be curtailed too.

12 minutes ago, RAG said:

This season is over.  If peaks in 8 weeks, you can look at another 8-16 weeks minimum before you can even think about football.  A single case in either squad could KO fixtures as seen this week.  Could be a year, unless so many people get coronavirus its seriousness is downgraded, but given effect on the eldery seems unlikely. The Scottish cup should still be played even if it's December and 5 a side indoors, just to settle it IMO.  As UEFA competitions start in June, next season will be curtailed too.

A year ?  Scottish football and most of English lower leagues wouldn't survive a year out, I wouldn't survive a year without football. 

2 minutes ago, Wrangodog said:

A year ?  Scottish football and most of English lower leagues wouldn't survive a year out, I wouldn't survive a year without football. 

There's still not that many people with coronavirus in the UK at present out of 65 million.  If they say 50-70% people will get it , how long will it be before you're back down to a 'safe' level, as seen last week?  I'd say closer to a year, than 3 weeks.

5 minutes ago, RAG said:

There's still not that many people with coronavirus in the UK at present out of 65 million.  If they say 50-70% people will get it , how long will it be before you're back down to a 'safe' level, as seen last week?  I'd say closer to a year, than 3 weeks.

As I said, Scottish Football won't last without revenue for a year. Bye bye Killie in that scenario. 

1 minute ago, Wrangodog said:

As I said, Scottish Football won't last without revenue for a year. Bye bye Killie in that scenario. 

The clubs survived WW1 and WW2 which were 5-6 years.  They'll survive this to by adopting similar tactics if its a long shutdown.  FIFA are sitting on $3bn in cash reserves and this is a worldwide problem for football. Any club with a lot of debt has a huge problem though.

21 minutes ago, Wrangodog said:

Nonsense,  the clubs just goes into hibernation.  We would have no players, and likely the club would be staffed by volunteers, and would restart from scratch when everything comes out the other end.  As the previous poster said during both world wars we had to do similar

25 minutes ago, RAG said:

The clubs survived WW1 and WW2 which were 5-6 years.  They'll survive this to by adopting similar tactics if its a long shutdown.  FIFA are sitting on $3bn in cash reserves and this is a worldwide problem for football. Any club with a lot of debt has a huge problem though.

The league continued in WW1 although the Scottish Cup didn't take place. Killie went to the top of the table in 1917 for the first time in their history. Unofficial regional competitions took place during WW2, although Rugby Park was used as a munitions dump. 

Sadly but maybe the fact we have so many players out if contract this year may benefit us when it comes to club finances in the summer. Nobody is signing anyone in the near future. 
I feel sorry for those players out of contract it’s their livelihoods after all. 

Just now, Wrangodog said:

The league continued in WW1 although the Scottish Cup didn't take place. Killie went to the top of the table in 1917 for the first time in their history. Unofficial regional competitions took place during WW2, although Rugby Park was used as a munitions dump. 

They might be able to continue it at some point behind closed doors, which is better than no football at all.   Problem is if they don't end the season and it drags on, clubs could be in an even worse situation than cutting loses on 2019/20 and ending it early.

9 minutes ago, RAG said:

They might be able to continue it at some point behind closed doors, which is better than no football at all.   Problem is if they don't end the season and it drags on, clubs could be in an even worse situation than cutting loses on 2019/20 and ending it early.

Closed doors football isn't going to happen. The Scottish PFA already stated their case against it when it was mooted earlier in the week. It protects the public, but it doesn't protect the players, or are they going to play three feet apart with no spitting, which players do instinctively. 

59 minutes ago, Mikastar said:

I feel sorry for those players out of contract it’s their livelihoods after all.

Some of these players have been offered contracts and rejected them. They were gambling on a better offer from the club or getting a move with a higher signing on fee and wage as a free agent. 

When you gamble it sometimes pays off but the players know the risk they are taking. These players are set to lose big time as I can't see many clubs adding to their squad with no income stream to pay for them.

12 minutes ago, killie billies pal said:

I get the feeling that there will be a large number of “Sevco’s” when all this is sorted, I just cannot see a lot of clubs surviving. And can’t see enough volunteers offering their services while some players will continue to pick up relatively large wages.

I'm not so sure it'll be as bad as thought.  I think we might see banks deferring repayments in the short term and pressure might be put on other expenses I.e. leccy companies, council rent/rates etc to do the same.