Stuart Findlay targeted by Dundee Utd

kfc_superteam

Dundee United are ramping up plans for their near certain return to the Premiership by targeting a move for Scotland defender Stuart Findlay.

The 24-year-old has been a rock in the centre of the Kilmarnock defence since his loan arrival in 2017. He signed a permanent deal in 2018 and has been a major factor in their success since.

The powerful stopper has a year left on his current deal and any move would require doing a deal with the Rugby Park club that would be likely to involve a significant fee.

Daily Record Sport understands that the defender is on a list of talent United boss Robbie Neilson is considering as he looks to make a big impact on the top flight.

Findlay has been a regular in Scotland squads since his former boss Steve Clarke became the manger and got a goal on his debut against San Marino.

He came through the youth system at Celtic before moving to Newcastle in 2016 where he made one first team start.

Would be surprised if they could afford him. We could offer him an improved contract and make him captain next season, I think he would stay if offered the right deal benefiting Stuart and the Club .Then sell in a year or two for serious money to a big English club.

11 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

What you hear ? Not a Club record then as spouted previously ?

Don’t think it was ever officially called a club record. Can remember Cathy and Phyllis being asked that very question and refusing to comment at the first On the board meeting. Given the fuss being made about other club record deals being made I’m pretty sure if we’d brought in more for Taylor than we did for Naismith we’d be hearing about it without a figure being mentioned. Others will be better informed and have a better understanding of numbers but to me it looked a lot less than £2million when the figures went up at the AGM. 

10 hours ago, piffer said:

Don’t think it was ever officially called a club record. Can remember Cathy and Phyllis being asked that very question and refusing to comment at the first On the board meeting. Given the fuss being made about other club record deals being made I’m pretty sure if we’d brought in more for Taylor than we did for Naismith we’d be hearing about it without a figure being mentioned. Others will be better informed and have a better understanding of numbers but to me it looked a lot less than £2million when the figures went up at the AGM. 

It was Celtic who asked for the fee to be undisclosed, they were more uncomfortable with the figure than we were. It was not a pittance so you can give that chat a rest (the other guy). It wouldn't be a club record until such times as the add-ons are realised so they couldn't claim it was one, should the club be apologetic for being honest and not exaggerating claims? The add-ons were achievable and look certain to pay off (he is/was getting games for club and country), when they are could we retrospectively claim a club record? Probably. Will we? Highly doubtful, it will achieve nothing and damage the confidence between the two clubs unnecessarily. The constant speculation is tedious, we held out for a good price for a good player and didn't get shafted as we previously have with players running out of contract, yet we seem desperate to find fault.

1 hour ago, ParkHotel said:

It was Celtic who asked for the fee to be undisclosed, they were more uncomfortable with the figure than we were. It was not a pittance so you can give that chat a rest (the other guy). It wouldn't be a club record until such times as the add-ons are realised so they couldn't claim it was one, should the club be apologetic for being honest and not exaggerating claims? The add-ons were achievable and look certain to pay off (he is/was getting games for club and country), when they are could we retrospectively claim a club record? Probably. Will we? Highly doubtful, it will achieve nothing and damage the confidence between the two clubs unnecessarily. The constant speculation is tedious, we held out for a good price for a good player and didn't get shafted as we previously have with players running out of contract, yet we seem desperate to find fault.

I simply don’t believe that. The fee has been quoted for all recent Celtic signings that I can think of. I can see no reason why they would want it to be undisclosed in Taylor’s case. It would have been loose change for them  

You say we ‘held our for a good price’ yet there is absolutely no evidence in the public domain to support that view. 

I can't imagine a club that lost £3.7m last year being able to afford Findlay. Hearts and Sevco thought they could offer wages that they couldn't afford and paid the price. Losing a player to Celtic and Sevco is just about tolerable if you get a decent fee for the player, losing Findlay to the Arabs would be unacceptable. 

3 hours ago, ParkHotel said:

we held out for a good price for a good player and didn't get shafted as we previously have with players running out of contract,

He wasn’t running out of contract though.

We chose to sell a prize asset, and we should have held out for a record fee plus add ons. Celtic had just publicly done the exact same thing with a bigger(financially) club and sold an injured LB for £25m

4 hours ago, ParkHotel said:

The other guy here: You know all these suggestions to be facts or just surmising?