What happens next?

killiehippo

It's time to hear your predictions folks as to what will happen to the 2019-20 season. It may be that the league rules has something in it to cover this eventuality however I doubt it. It will be some discretionary rule that allows them to do what they want.

I believe that we should complete the season if at all possible but a lot may depend of the "big meeting" with FIFA/UEFA on Tuesday which may decide that leagues finish now.

If the leagues cannot be finished should they be declared null and void or the beaks may need to award titles, decide relegation/promotion etc.......my head is swimming with all the various outomes, who can see the future and tell me what's going to happen next?

5 minutes ago, cammy2012 said:

Season is over. Absolutely no chance of football before June. League table stays as is.

Disagree, league should be void.  I beleive this is what has happened when football was suspended before.

Suits us as were in europe again, screws Dundee United, good.  But all.oneies should be taken as a pot and distributed evenly between each team in each league.

Season will be played to a finish when the football restarts.

Next season's league cup is run as a straight knockout or u21/u23 tournament and the Irn Bru / Tunnocks wafer cup or whatever it's called gets shelved to make space for it.

The close season becomes very, very short.

Everything depends on UEFA/FIFA  to make a decision regarding the Euros and CL / EL etc so we can see what timescale we have to work with.

I think it's unfair to avoid the league after so many games have been played.

If, as seems possible at the moment July or even August is the first time matches 'could' be played, would it be possible to complete the 8 remaining games with 3 games a week? That could be done over a 3 week period, and could even still be closed doors. That is a big 'if' July/August was safe enough, no one knows at the moment.

Even if it was early September, still reckon it is better to try and finish this season if possible.

The following season would obviously have to be shortened, with a 2 week break in between. Scrap the League Cup completely for next season, and start with League games.

The two biggest problems with this are of course, Euro qualification and player contracts. Would imagine that UEFA will be reluctant to completely scrap their tournaments for next season, but it might have to be no Champions League and Euro League for one season. Start again the next.

The alternatives of declaring this season null and void, and trying to start the new season in Aug/Sept is potential legal challenges from the likes of Dundee Utd who would miss out on a lot of money by being denied promotion. Can't say season is over but current League standings count, eg Hearts are relegated, Utd promoted, Celtic win the League etc etc, as it again opens it up to legal challenge, which would delay next season anyway. 

There is no ideal solution, and at the end of the day of course, public health and safety is all that ultimately matters.

8 minutes ago, Jedi2 said:

The two biggest problems with this are of course, Euro qualification and player contracts. Would imagine that UEFA will be reluctant to completely scrap their tournaments for next season, but it might have to be no Champions League and Euro League for one season. Start again the next.

It would appear then that Man City's cunning plan has worked!

Cannot be a void season , the financial implications on top of loss of match revenues will see a lot of clubs cease to exist.....

as making it a void season , the annual pay outs for clubs will be reduced or even not legally due if it’s deemed to be a void season..

and therefore games so far mean nothing  will mean legally the TV companies will be due a large refund , and with BT losing Scottish football this summer and to placate their shareholders can see them wanting contract money for this season paid back .....League and cup Sponsors for this season can also appeal for money to be paid back , ST holders at all clubs will also technically be due refunds if they wish...then you have likes of player contracts with many tied in to bonus payments for likes of league placing and point totals etc...

Can’t see the season being voided for the reasons already alluded to above ,easiest scenario is to accept the positions as of the 14th and award the titles and monies accordingly . As for the likes of Hearts and possibly sevco challenging the decision I can’t see any court in the world awarding them anything given the current exceptional situation . I would be mildly amusing if they did and it bankrupted both clubs . 

The legal challenges may well not work if places are awarded based on current standings, but they could 'delay' the start of any new season by months. Imagine the media frenzy as well of Celtic being 'given' a 9 in a row title..and then counting the next season as '10' (not that I care about OF media frenzies obviously but it would get tedious).

Still better to try and get the remaining 8 matches played whenever that might be possible. Easy enough to complete the Scottish Cup as well, with only 3 games needing to be finished. 

Just now, SlimStripey said:

With 8 games to play you could conceivably finish the season in 4 weeks playing twice a week. Doesn’t seem insurmountable.

Would be my preference - gives clubs a chance to recoup revenue as well.

Biggest problem will be what if that isn't possible till ? say July?

Obvious thing but they wont do it cos of money is have all the european competitions only start late in 2020 with restricted numbers of "qualifiers" e.g. one per league per competition or something like that.

Then there is time and space for the domestic leagues to sort themselves out with a total loss of continuity.

Can UEFA take it out of everyone's hands at their meeting on Tuesday?...declare the season finished in all member countries with current League placings standing....so Celtic go into next seasons CL, Rangers and Motherwell into the EL (dont know what happens to the Cup place though), Hearts are relegated and Utd come up., no play-offs. That would let them try to restart the CL and EL from late July, and the new season starts as normal in August.

It would mean this seasons CL and EL being ended with no winners, and the Euros being moved to next summer.

Also takes away the potential of legal challenges as, if it is a ruling applying to all member associations, likes of Rangers and Hearts wouldn't have a leg to stand on.