What happens next?

killiehippo

1 hour ago, chubbs said:

Another option is to shorten next season to 33 games and forget the split ... the cheeks can stick there guaranteed 4 matches up their collective arse for one year.

That will free up another month.

I could see this as a curious one season possibility if next season starts late. Also to level up the home and away game splits and potentially have some winner takes all scenarios, have 1 post split game for every team 1v2, 3v4,... 11v12 etc so 34 game season.

Winter break scrapped, league cup & tunnocks cup could all be scrapped for a year. 

I still expect The remaining games of all Euro leagues to be completed, and I also guess all cup comps incl CL & EL to be scrapped as not completed and don’t really need to be for continuity purposes. Nations League play offs and Euros delayed til next Summer. 

I believe that just like European governments, UEFA and the SFA have simply not thought any of their strategies through at all.

Firstly I dont expect restrictions on gatherings te ease for 3 or 4 months at a minimum. The chances if finishing any postponed competitions before next years are due to start ar pretty slim.

Secondly I believe it is SFA rules that the season has to be played to a conclusion or it is void. In other words Celtic cannot be awarded the League Championship and The Arabs will gave to start again.

There are going to be be a lot of pissed off people but 'ems the rules.

Very true...the problem with UEFA declaring seasons finished now would be that there are quite few tight competitions across Europe....Bundesliga..Dortmund currently just 4pts off Bayern at the top, Real 2pts behind Barca, Lazio 1pt behind Juve in Serie A, Ajax and Alkmaar level in Holland to name a few...

Think a lot of the chat in the UK is focused on Liverpool being so far clear at the moment, and Celtic also having a fair gap, but clearly not the case on the continent. Surely for European competition for next season there would have to be an agreed aim for all...either complete all seasons when and if possible, or void all Leagues?

In fairness again, football will probably be well down most folks lists of priorities in a few months.

I can see it boiling down to UEFA wanting to ensure there is a Champions League and Europa League next season. Flagship competitions and huge revenue generators. If the season is void then either you start again with this season’s entrants or both tournaments are off. Can’t see either sitting well with UEFA so I expect they’ll either want the season finished or standings declared final. 

I think the expanded leagues for one season is the 'fairest' outcome from all the proposals I've read. 

So many complications with trying to play on. Saw someone make the example with the relegation teams, Accies and St Mirren both have excellent keepers who are out of contract and were getting into territory where Hearts would have Soutar and others back. Gets to the point you aren't continuing the season in any meaningful way... 

Also saw a sport scientist in the Guardian saying that players need minimum of two weeks after self isolating to be considered safe/fit to play - so add the best part of a month to any date that we think football could be played from. 

Just now, Wrangodog said:

I don't know how they can say September when that is almost six months away. I would be surprised if a decision is made before April when the situation will be a bit clearer. If we say September and EPL resume in August we are going to look stupid. 

Might be going on guidance from UEFA or other leagues. 

5 minutes ago, Wrangodog said:

No relegation, four teams promoted, giving sixteen teams playing home and away, 30 games instead of 38.

Then what. Four teams relegated and one into a playoff next season?

Leaves the SPFL wide open in terms of TV rights. Sky won’t be getting what they negotiated for

Edited by piffer

8 minutes ago, piffer said:

Then what. Four teams relegated and one into a playoff next season?

Leaves the SPFL wide open in terms of TV rights. Sky won’t be getting what they negotiated for

Either Hearts or Dundee United are going to sue in the event of either one relegated or no promotion anyway.