Fill Rugby Park

Ngonge88

7 hours ago, Fudger said:

I think games played behind closed doors would be complete non events as a spectacle and prove that football without fans is nothing. 

I watched a few of the Aussie games behind closed doors and the games were played like pre season friendlies. They lacked the bite of a competitive fixture. They were early season fixtures but were well short of the intensity you expect.

It would be great to have the football back but in empty stadiums it will be very different. 

8 hours ago, piffer said:

I watched a few of the Aussie games behind closed doors and the games were played like pre season friendlies. They lacked the bite of a competitive fixture. They were early season fixtures but were well short of the intensity you expect.

It would be great to have the football back but in empty stadiums it will be very different. 

That matches the description of most Aussie football I've came across in front of fans. Seems to be quite a slow paced league for the most part.

Maybe the new norm in filling rugby park is 600 fans to make social distancing work -  where you need to leave 3 seats either side of you in your seat, 7 seats in the row behind you, 7 seats in the row in front of you, 5 seats in the row 2 behind you and 5 seats in the row 2 in front of you, so including your 1 seat you would effectively take up 31 seats. Divide that into our capacity- roughly 600! Imagine that, bit weird and it would start a whole new debate on who got to go just like our Euro away leg last season! Not really worth it!

Wait, how do you get to your seat......

1 hour ago, IMO said:

Maybe the new norm in filling rugby park is 600 fans to make social distancing work -  where you need to leave 3 seats either side of you in your seat, 7 seats in the row behind you, 7 seats in the row in front of you, 5 seats in the row 2 behind you and 5 seats in the row 2 in front of you, so including your 1 seat you would effectively take up 31 seats. Divide that into our capacity- roughly 600! Imagine that, bit weird and it would start a whole new debate on who got to go just like our Euro away leg last season! Not really worth it!

Posted a similar idea a wee while ago, although family groups and people who live in the same house could push the self-distancing capacity up by quite a bit. 

1 hour ago, IMO said:

Supporters buses first!!!

That would completely put me off going - part of the enjoyment is going with friends and family and meeting those who you have sat next to for years. 

Edited by Pelesboots

2 hours ago, Pelesboots said:

Supporters buses first!!!

That would completely put me off going - part of the enjoyment is going with friends and family and meeting those who you have sat next to for years. 

Article on bbc website about Danish side midtjylland saying how they plan to put up 2 large screens in their car park allowing people in 2000 cars to watch games - most bizarre bit is if u need the toilet u flash your lights and a steward accompanies u to the bog and cleans it after!

3 minutes ago, IMO said:

Article on bbc website about Danish side midtjylland saying how they plan to put up 2 large screens in their car park allowing people in 2000 cars to watch games - most bizarre bit is if u need the toilet u flash your lights and a steward accompanies u to the bog and cleans it after!

Be just like when the wee blue cars would sit at the back of the goals. Without the risk of windscreen breakage.

Also, have they never heard of peeing in a bottle?

They could do club merchandised 'shewees' for the ladies.

15 minutes ago, CB said:

Be just like when the wee blue cars would sit at the back of the goals. Without the risk of windscreen breakage.

Also, have they never heard of peeing in a bottle?

They could do club merchandised 'shewees' for the ladies.

Duck-egg blue if I remember right. After peeing in the bottle we could throw it at the nearest car and reminisce about getting bombarded by Celtic/Sevco fans before segregation.  

Should have said Celtic/Rangers, it was before they became undead. 

Edited by Wrangodog

Chris Whitty seemed to spell out hard facts which politicians prefer to tiptoe around at the briefing today.

"We have to be very realistic if people are hoping it’s suddenly going to move from where we are in lockdown to where suddenly into everything is gone, that is a wholly unrealistic expectation.

We are going to have to do a lot of things for really quite a long period of time, the question is what is the best package and this is what we’re trying to work out.

If you release more on one area, you have to keep on board more of another area so there’s a proper trade-off and this is what ministers are having to consider."

Later he was even more explicit.

"In the long run, the exit from this is going to be one of two things, ideally. A vaccine, and there are a variety of ways they can be deployed ... or, and/or, highly effective drugs so that people stop dying of this disease even if they catch it, or which can prevent this disease in vulnerable people.

Until we have those, and the probability of having those any time in the next calendar year are incredibly small and I think we should be realistic about that.

We’re going to have to rely on other social measures, which of course are very socially disruptive as everyone is finding at the moment.

But until that point, that is what we will have to do but it will be the best combination that maximises the outlooks but it’s going to take a long time and I think we need to be aware of that."

Edited by skygod

Aberdeen have announced that they've sold over 3,000 season tickets for next season, despite the possibility football will restart behind closed doors.

The coronavirus pandemic has brought the 2019-20 season to a halt, robbing clubs of vital income. 

Chairman Dave Cormack issued a rallying cry to fans, with the aim of signing up 10,000 season ticket holders for next season, with a target of 5,000 by the end of this month. 

Aberdeen club announced on Wednesday that more than 3,000 fans have bought season tickets, giving a cashflow boost in the midst of the crisis and a 10 per cent uptick on this point last year.

Hibs have already signed up 4,000 fans for next season, while Hearts have sold more than 1,000 season tickets despite not knowing which division they'll be playing in.

Celtic also have season tickets on sale, but there are concerns that when Scottish football does restart it will be behind closed doors.

Kilmarnock have not put their season tickets on sale due to fears fans won't be able to attend.

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon intimated this week that even a closed door return may not be possible as it may lead to fans gathering to watch on television.

And even if football can restart the experts believe it will be behind closed doors for the foreseeable future.

Epidemiologist Zachary Binney, a professor at the Oxford College of Emory University, has warned it may be 2021 before fans can return to stadiums.

He said: "It’s very likely we won’t have sports with fans back until we have a Covid-19 vaccine mass-administered, which is most likely going to be at least late 2021.

"The key thing to understand is that every person you add to a gathering increases the risk of Covid-19 in two ways: it’s another person who could be bringing the infection in; or, even if they’re uninfected, they’re another person who could catch the disease from someone else and spread it to others.

"The safest you can be is one person alone in a house or apartment because no one can bring the disease to you in that situation, and you can’t get anyone else sick.

"Two people is more dangerous than one, ten is more dangerous than two, 500 is more dangerous than ten.

"By the time you get up to 50,000, 70,000, 100,000 fans the danger level really ratchets up.

"These are the types of situations where you run the risk of having a super-spreading event where a whole lot of people get sick at once and overwhelm the local public health and, eventually, medical systems.

"To be clear, this doesn’t just apply to sports. It’s unlikely we’ll be able to gather safely in the tens of thousands for anything – festivals, conventions, sporting events – until we have a vaccine."

Italian virologist Roberto Burioni also cautioned this week: "Unless there’s a miracle we can’t think about football with the public.

"We’re going to have to deprive ourselves of that pleasure."

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aberdeen-hibs-season-ticket-boost-21907389

• 2 weeks later...

Gary Dicker has rubbished the idea that Scottish football can return in the near future.

The Kilmarnock captain has spoken out strongly against resuming play before September and insists SPFL players will fear for their families' safety.

He declared he will only get back on the pitch when given certain assurances.

Dicker's wife works at a funeral home, ensuring the Irishman has received first-hand accounts of the devastation caused by the coronavirus pandemic.

He told The Scottish Sun : “I think everyone wants to get back playing but it is unrealistic to think we can do it any time soon.

“You will get a lot of players who will be reluctant as a lot of their families have health issues. updates

“My wife’s mum has a heart condition so how could I even think of putting her at risk?

“My wife works in a funeral home so I’m all too aware of what this pandemic is doing.

“Down south they are talking about teams being holed up in hotels for weeks on end to try and get matches on. It would be extremely hard mentally to be away from your family under those circumstances.

“Players will only go back when it is safe and they have certain assurances."

Dicker points out that more than just players are needed to stage fixtures and raised questions over whether the Premiership 's foreign stars would be forced into quarantine upon their return to the UK.

He's urged football bosses to set more realistic targets, insisting it won't be safe to play "for a very long time".

“You also need a lot more than the players to put on a football match. There would be match officials, police and all the medical staff as well.

“You will need stewards because people will almost certainly try to watch these games by any means possible.

“Players would understandably be concerned and I just don’t see how we can get back playing in Scotland this season.

“Unfortunately, I don’t think you can be 100 per cent safe for a very long time.

“Another aspect that hasn’t been mentioned much is having to put all the foreign players into quarantine when they return to Scotland.

“They can’t just come back and start training so they will have to isolate for two or three weeks. That will slow down the process even further.

“There will be a lot of players who are unable to fly out of certain countries as well because of airports being locked down.

“I don’t understand why the people in charge don’t give themselves a realistic target to aim for.

“There are so many ifs and buts and they are putting themselves under needless pressure by saying we will be back in May, June or even July.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gary-dicker-sets-out-fierce-21969099

Surely the argument for not restarting the football season is that it would require thousands of coronavirus tests to be taken away from NHS staff, key workers and vulnerable groups. At the moment, because we’ve failed miserably as a country to do enough testing, you can’t justify wasting much needed tests on sport.

I’m not sure I have much time for what Dicker is saying here tbh.

Edited by Ipkis

4 hours ago, casual observer said:

The likelihood of football restarting in Scotland in 2020 at its most optimistic, is close to zero. Without crowds we don’t have the money to operate a football league in Scotland. Without a vaccine we won’t have a crowd. 

Some clubs wont survive this 

5 hours ago, casual observer said:

The likelihood of football restarting in Scotland in 2020 at its most optimistic, is close to zero. Without crowds we don’t have the money to operate a football league in Scotland. Without a vaccine we won’t have a crowd. 

Interesting to hear what the Accies chairman said had been discussed at the weekend. 

One proposal is to only play limited games this calendar year and try and back load the games in the hope that there will be fans later. There's sense in that - particularly if a vaccine looks on the horizon when we get to September, for example. 

I think a mixture of fans paying for streams, sky money and the furlough scheme helping the clubs through the summer might make it possible for behind closed doors games to be just about viable if the situation is slightly more manageable in September. 

As I've said in other threads, I've got a feeling we will see football whether it's necessarily a good idea or not - they will push for it by hook or by crook. 

2 hours ago, mitch14 said:

As I've said in other threads, I've got a feeling we will see football whether it's necessarily a good idea or not - they will push for it by hook or by crook. 

I think you are bang on the money. 

Scottish football "must do everything humanly possible" to resume "by the end of July", says SPFL chairman Murdoch MacLennan.

All Scottish sport has been suspended since March because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Football north of the border is suspended until 10 June under current guidelines.

"I'm sure we can all agree that the quicker we get back to playing football, the better," said MacLennan.

The Scottish Championship and Leagues One and Two were declared over in April while the SPFL board has the option to also curtail the Premiership if the outstanding 49 fixtures cannot be played.

The qualifying rounds of the Champions and Europa League usually take place in July.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52638693