If this season is a write off....

Larkhall2

Apologies if it's  been discussed (and/or answered) elsewhere, but if this season is deemed a write off as some are suggesting.... would this mean that European entrants for this season would form the basis of the competitions of next year? e.g. who qualifies for European competition if it doesn't count? and would this be a potential re-entry to Europe?

If this season is 'voided', we should be back in Europe.  If they're not gonna dish out the league trophy, how can they dish out relegation or promotion places?  A better solution for the SPFL would be a gentlemen's agreement to play till the split behind closed doors and end the league having played everyone 3 times.  Don't see Sevco or the Jambos shaking hands on that though!  Every other solution is IMO more unfair, or risks having exactly the same problem with season 20/21.

4 hours ago, CB said:

Need to finish the current european competitions first.

Everyone could always just pause everything for a year, and pick up where we left off next March. Seeing as that's what Euro 2020 & the Olympics have done.

Only problem is there wouldn't be many, if any, clubs left to play against each other with no football until next March....

3 hours ago, Lroy said:

giphy.gif

HahahHa scouse ...... anyway the season certainly in English premier league Scottish premiership and the big European top leagues will be finished , far far to much money involved , between tv money European places, relegation etc , you can’t just cancel this season and start a new one anyway , only folk who want it to be nulled is those who have self interest 

2 hours ago, DrewWylie said:

HahahHa scouse ...... anyway the season certainly in English premier league Scottish premiership and the big European top leagues will be finished , far far to much money involved , between tv money European places, relegation etc , you can’t just cancel this season and start a new one anyway , only folk who want it to be nulled is those who have self interest 

Fair play to you Drew 

I thought you would def be in the 'it must be cancelled at all costs'  singing it from the rafters bracket 

for the obvious reason ;)

but as you say I am sure It WILL be finished one way or another and Henderson  will eventually get to lift the English prem trophy  :)

I just hope Killie manage to get their act together by then too as I'm none too confident over their chances of avoiding the playoffs. especially with a team of players whose contracts have run out by then .

in fact if I was offered the chance of voiding all leagues right now id honestly take it to ensure killie's prem future...…. even if it meant Liverpool loosing out on their first  league trophy in 30 years :( 

although I am a massive Liverpool fan ….Killie are the ONLY team that really matters when it comes down to it  :)

2 hours ago, DrewWylie said:

It's the money that makes me think null and void is more likely. 

Looking increasingly like it would take a significant chunk of next season to finish this one - if that meant no Champions League/Europa games next season the money powers that be will be kicking up a stink... 

1 hour ago, Killie for the cup said:

Fair play to you Drew 

I thought you would def be in the 'it must be cancelled at all costs'  singing it from the rafters bracket 

for the obvious reason ;)

but as you say I am sure It WILL be finished one way or another and Henderson  will eventually get to lift the English prem trophy  :)

I just hope Killie manage to get their act together by then too as I'm none too confident over their chances of avoiding the playoffs. especially with a team of players whose contracts have run out by then .

in fact if I was offered the chance of voiding all leagues right now id honestly take it to ensure killie's prem future...…. even if it meant Liverpool loosing out on their first  league trophy in 30 years :( 

although I am a massive Liverpool fan ….Killie are the ONLY team that really matters when it comes down to it  :)

“Even if it meant Liverpool loosing out on their first league trophy in 30 years”

Said no true Liverpool fan ever :/

2 hours ago, trenwick said:

so if this season is voided & were starting again,  so were back in europe & this seasons ticket money allocated against new season ticket, also killie tv & other footballing subsciptions refunded

You would want the club to refund you?

9 hours ago, Wrangodog said:

How do they work that one out ?  Some clubs have already played their first legs, so surely have to play the second to decide the tie. 

Think there looking at qtr/semis being one off games but like everything uefa does will come down to money 

21 hours ago, CB said:

Everyone could always just pause everything for a year, and pick up where we left off next March. Seeing as that's what Euro 2020 & the Olympics have done.

IMO people talking about resuming the current season are just fantasizing. The choices are to avoid it completely or award the gongs based on current standings.

The above is based on the following observations. The current government plan is to keep the current restrictions in place for 3 months to  flatten the peak. So at the start of July restrictions should start to ease. However I cant see those eased restrictions allowing contact sports let alone large gatherings to watch. Restrictions will be eased gradually and could well be reimposed if there is a 2nd wave. What I am saying is that it may not be possible to start competitive games until September or later and by then a number of clubs big and small may have ceased to exist.

Edited by gdevoy

8 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

IMO people talking about resuming the current season are just fantasizing. The choices are to avoid it completely or award the gongs based on current standings.

The above is based on the following observations. The current government plan is to keep the current restrictions in place for 3 months to  flatten the peak. So at the start of July restrictions should start to ease. However I cant see those eased restrictions allowing contact sports let alone large gatherings to watch. Restrictions will be eased gradually and could well be reimposed if there is a 2nd wave. What I am saying is that it may not be possible to start competitive games until September or later and by then a number of clubs big and small may have ceased to exist.

This season for all sports underway and unable to continue should be void. 

You cant award titles.when you haven't completed it, you cant promote or relegate teams as they haven't had the opportunity to finish the games and seal their fate beyond any doubt.

Harsh on some, funny as f**k tho some of those may be to some.  But its reality.

When we get back to some semblance of normality whomever exists will realistically need to start from scratch.  This is the chance for the SPFL, SFA and all.other sporting bodies to fix what's wrong with their structures, they wont but the could.

Whatever is finally decided think a regular football season will not be seen till 21/22 in terms of European competitions anyhow ........the logistics of each country sorting out It’s own domestic season  will take precedence and all the legal problems that may ensue .........they might just try for a expanded champions league contest only to appease the TV companies 

Doesn’t the usual  qualification rounds for the European competitions start from late June early July,?......No chance of that this year 

38 minutes ago, Beaker71 said:

You cant award titles.when you haven't completed it, you cant promote or relegate teams as they haven't had the opportunity to finish the games and seal their fate beyond any doubt.

Of course you can. Play-off would obviously be scrapped.

In the top flight it only realy impacts on Hearts. There is not a football fan anywhere in the country that thinks *anger* have any realistic chance of winning the title.

Championship is the same, Dundee Utd are out of sight. More complicated at the bottom with Partick having played a game less but average ponts added to them would still see them relegated in favour of QotS.

League one - decent struggle at the top so Falkirk would be agrieved at missing out as only a point behind, Stranraer look already doomed.

League two - Cove Rangers won't be caught and Brechin would get a reprieve with no play-offs.

So ending the season now would really only impact on Hearts, Partick and Falkirk.