Barcelona

Jasg

59 minutes ago, Jasg said:

Playing staff to take a 70% wage cut so all other staff receive full wages!

Its a good gesture, but one that every major sports team should taking.

As an example though, Messi will be down from £500k a week to £150k a week.

Will help no end, but folk that earn that much won't even notice its missing!

Seeing stuff from La Liga journalists that the players were taking he 70% cut requested but have offered to contribute more so that others at the club did not have to make sacrifices and would get 100% of their wages. Most of the players will be far from struggling but the gesture will be appreciated by many and good to see them safeguarding the jobs of others. 

This whole saga shows just how out of touch football has become with normality - in England some players are still being paid £350k per week whilst clubs a league or two below are struggling for their very survival. 

Even on a smaller scale, Naisy takes a 50% cut at Hearts (fair play to him btw) but hes still on £2k per week at a club on its knees. 

Maybe longer term this will be a good thing for football and bring it back to a more level playing field...........We can but hope. 

6 hours ago, Fudger said:

This whole saga shows just how out of touch football has become with normality - in England some players are still being paid £350k per week whilst clubs a league or two below are struggling for their very survival. 

Even on a smaller scale, Naisy takes a 50% cut at Hearts (fair play to him btw) but hes still on £2k per week at a club on its knees. 

Maybe longer term this will be a good thing for football and bring it back to a more level playing field...........We can but hope. 

Naismith could play for nothing with the properties hes got and a millionaire

Unlike Spurs who haven't mentioned players taking a cut but 550 non playing staff will be put into the government scheme. The government should have stipulated that if a company earns over X million then the scheme isn't available to them. The government shouldn't shoulder the debt while these companies still earn more than all their staff earn in a single sponsorship deal.

On 3/31/2020 at 4:06 PM, Wee_Eck1979 said:

Unlike Spurs who haven't mentioned players taking a cut but 550 non playing staff will be put into the government scheme. The government should have stipulated that if a company earns over X million then the scheme isn't available to them. The government shouldn't shoulder the debt while these companies still earn more than all their staff earn in a single sponsorship deal.

Spurs’ decision, and their players, looks really shabby alongside Barca.

On 3/30/2020 at 1:25 PM, Jasg said:

Playing staff to take a 70% wage cut so all other staff receive full wages!

Oh they are great , w****rs should be donating all their wages to help less fortunate , as should all footballers who earn over a certain amount per week / month , mind you so should all these bastard celebrities , in this together MY ARSE 

1 hour ago, DrewWylie said:

Oh they are great , w****rs should be donating all their wages to help less fortunate , as should all footballers who earn over a certain amount per week / month , mind you so should all these bastard celebrities , in this together MY ARSE 

Shame how is messi still going to survive on £7. 2 million a year obscene

On 4/5/2020 at 4:58 PM, anndeetee said:

How about a maximum national wage, say £100 000?  Enforced by 99% Income Tax of wages above that figure. 

That’s exactly the sort of thinking about policy and society post Covid19 that we need. We have learned who matters in and for society. I think you might have said #resetsociety - bang on. My hash tag is #ournewnormal when we come out of this. 

No to greedy narcissistic entitled c**ts like Branson, Ashley. Martin, Langsman, Green rt al. Footballers salaries but only at the very top are obscene but the debate about them if a diversion from the wealth and greed of these c**ts. While we’re at it don’t just tax and redistribute from the 1% tax the shirt out of Amszon, Uber Fsnnybook Google who rip the s**te out of us and contribute fuvk all to society, 

nurses, careers, lorry drivers, delivery drivers, those working to produce food and medicines - double their pay, There is a magic money tree. There is such a thing as society. 

5 hours ago, carpetfitter said:

No to greedy narcissistic entitled c**ts like Branson, Ashley. Martin, Langsman, Green rt al. Footballers salaries but only at the very top are obscene but the debate about them if a diversion from the wealth and greed of these c**ts. While we’re at it don’t just tax and redistribute from the 1% tax the shirt out of Amszon, Uber Fsnnybook Google who rip the s**te out of us and contribute fuvk all to society, 

It's a rejection of the Thatcher/Regan economics we need. It's a historic problem from 30 or 40 years ago. Top rate of tax was 83% over 20 grand up to 1979.  Falls to 60% in 1980 for over 25k, then that 60% rate stays over 1980s to a 41k 60% top rate threshold in 1988.  By 1989 top rate reduces to 40% on earnings over £19,300.(!)  

But £1 in 1979 is worth £2.03 in 1989 money, so a borderline  'top rate' UK tax payer in 1979, had twice as much dosh, in real terms, as a borderline top rate tax player in 1989.

Income tax may have reduced but everyones pays more in VAT or indirect taxation than the 70s, most of which isn't income based - again favouring the extremely well off.

http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com/repository/incometaxrates_1974to1990.pdf

Edited by RAG

50 minutes ago, RAG said:

It's a rejection of the Thatcher/Regan economics we need. It's a historic problem from 30 or 40 years ago. Top rate of tax was 83% over 20 grand up to 1979.  Falls to 60% in 1980 for over 25k, then that 60% rate stays over 1980s to a 41k 60% top rate threshold in 1988.  By 1989 top rate reduces to 40% on earnings over £19,300.(!)  

But £1 in 1979 is worth £2.03 in 1989 money, so a borderline  'top rate' UK tax payer in 1979, had twice as much dosh, in real terms, as a borderline top rate tax player in 1989.

Income tax may have reduced but everyones pays more in VAT or indirect taxation than the 70s, most of which isn't income based - again favouring the extremely well off.

http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com/repository/incometaxrates_1974to1990.pdf

Thank you very much for this contribution. I will study it when I get the time soon I promise m. 

58 minutes ago, carpetfitter said:

Thank you very much for this contribution. I will study it when I get the time soon I promise m. 

https://www.bankofengland.co.uk/monetary-policy/inflation/inflation-calculator

You need that inflation calculator for it to make any sense,  On paper, a top rate of tax for earners over £20,000 in 1973, is equivalent to  a top rate starting at £243,700 in 2020 money.