Random Killie Stories

virtuocity

19 minutes ago, EKX16 said:

This is a story about a guy I knew. The incident occurred at the old Rugby park against rangers before he left the house to go to said game he had eaten half a rhubarb pie and after a few pints in the pub he made it into the ground. Halfway through the game he felt the sudden need to go to the toilet,as he toiled to get through the crowd and desperately needing to use the cubicle he got there and the cubicle was already in use. So he shouted at the guy "are you going to be long" and he replied a couple of minutes. It got to the stage where he apologised to a couple of lads having a pee and pulled his trousers down and placed his ar*se over the urinal and whoosh it came out. When the guy left the cubicle the lad made a quick move into the now vacant cubicle and carried on where he left off. He was sitting there when he heard a guy saying "for f*ck sake has the police horse been in here.

xD

12 hours ago, superfan said:

It is a fact, he did get sent off against Airdrie I believe at RP for spitting on an opponent. 

Did he make a habit of the gobbing? I’m sure it’s the Stirling Albion game that I remember it from, but did not realise it was 1977. I had assumed it was maybe a wee bit earlier than that as it was one of my earliest memories and I know I’d been taken to a few games in the first season of the Premier League. I had trawled through the “Everygame” book trying to find the game it happened in with no luck.

11 hours ago, CYRILLRIP said:

Did he make a habit of the gobbing? I’m sure it’s the Stirling Albion game that I remember it from, but did not realise it was 1977. I had assumed it was maybe a wee bit earlier than that as it was one of my earliest memories and I know I’d been taken to a few games in the first season of the Premier League. I had trawled through the “Everygame” book trying to find the game it happened in with no luck.

I don't think it was habitual but you never know. My memory of the incident always comes up with Airdrie as the opposition and I have, over the years, told the story to many people. But of course I could be wrong.

The only things I can remember are that it was in the Dundonald Road end of the pitch, stand side, we were struggling to beat an inferior team, and the opponent’s name was Steedman. 

The Stirling match ticks those boxes. They had a young player called Steedman whom they had signed from Hibs and we lost the match 2-3. 

Can’t find any other stats or match reports which help. 

1 hour ago, skygod said:

The only things I can remember are that it was in the Dundonald Road end of the pitch, stand side, we were struggling to beat an inferior team, and the opponent’s name was Steedman. 

The Stirling match ticks those boxes. They had a young player called Steedman whom they had signed from Hibs and we lost the match 2-3. 

Can’t find any other stats or match reports which help. 

Here's the Killie team: Stewart, McLean, Robertson, Jardine, Clarke P, McDicken, Provan, McDowell, Stein, Maxwell, McCulloch

Alex Smith was the Stirling Albion manager

Whilst not a huge fan of the guy Present day, always remember as a youngster at a game with my Grampa taking my Autograph book to back of main stand waiting on the players arriving, Davie Provan signed my book then took the book and told us to meet him after the game which he duly did with the book filled with all the Killie players signatures, so at that time he was a bit of a hero in my eyes ( until he signed for Celtic) 

3 hours ago, Neil McGuffie said:

Whilst not a huge fan of the guy Present day, always remember as a youngster at a game with my Grampa taking my Autograph book to back of main stand waiting on the players arriving, Davie Provan signed my book then took the book and told us to meet him after the game which he duly did with the book filled with all the Killie players signatures, so at that time he was a bit of a hero in my eyes ( until he signed for Celtic) 

Similar story from me as well, waiting with my autograph book outside the main doors and Willie Fernie brought a few youngsters into the building out of the rain, Davie Provan was the first to sign it and Willie Fernie took my autograph book from him,handed it to Gordon Smith who was involved in a conversation with Alan Hansen and told him to get all the players to sign it (including Hansen) which he did no problem, pity Smith and Provan turned their backs pretty quickly on the team that gave them their chance in football ....

Was reading an interview with Smith the other day. 

He said that Tommy Docherty told him years later that he had tried to sign him for Man Utd. They offered £100k which would have been a club record at the time but the Killie board mucked about over the fee so United walked away. 

Of course, Rangers later offered £65k plus two players which was rejected. While two board members were out of the country on holiday, the rest of the board accepted £65k with no players in exchange. 

Needless to say the two directors, chairman Bob Thyne and secretary David McCulloch, tendered their resignations. 

Edited by skygod

3 hours ago, skygod said:

He said that Tommy Docherty told him years later that he had tried to sign him for Man Utd. They offered £100k which would have been a club record at the time but the Killie board mucked about over the fee so United walked away. 

Of course, Rangers later offered £65k plus two players which was rejected. While two board members were out of the country on holiday, the rest of the board accepted £65k with no players in exchange. 

Needless to say the two directors, chairman Bob Thyne and secretary David McCulloch, tendered their resignations. 

I knew Bob Thyne resigned but didn’t realise it was over that. An honourable decision.

On 4/7/2020 at 7:18 PM, skygod said:

My Deputy Head was an Arsenal scout, but rarely went to games although he was quick to claim expenses. One day he was in the staffroom when Bertie Mee, the then Arsenal manager phoned up to ask for a quick resumé of Gordon Smith. My boss had never heard of him, so he turned to me as the only Killie supporter in the place, or indeed in all of Castlemilk and asked for a quick view of Casper. I had no interest in seeing my favourite player sold, so I said that he was a lovely ball-player, but lacked heart in the tackle. This news was instantly relayed to Bertie Mee, who was still on the line and that was the end of Arsenal's interest in Gordon Smith.

I was reading an article the other day about Billy McNeill's time managing in England and Gordon Smith was saying he was only too glad to sign for Man City from Rangers because McNeill had always been a big fan of his. He said he once scored a hat-trick in a 6-1 drubbing of Aberdeen at Ibrox and when he was going out the door afterwards, McNeill was waiting to congratulate him on his performance and asked "why did you come here?" Smith replied- "Eh, cause Rangers bought me".  "Aye but why did you choose them? We were in for you as well". Smith said he was unaware of any interest from Aberdeen.