Dyer speaks

CB

Alex Dyer has been left heartbroken after the fields where he played as a kid near his mum’s house were turned into a makeshift morgue.

The horrifying effects of coronavirus have shattered the Kilmarnock manager.

With the pandemic claiming more than 3600 lives in the UK already, London has created three temporary mortuaries in response.

One is in Westminster. One is in Ruislip. And now one is right where Dyer spent his schooldays at Wanstead Flats.

The government has taken over the 334-acre area of
grassland and it has shaken the Killie boss. When he drops shopping off to his mum today, he’ll see it and it will crush him again.

The sight slams home the torturous reality of this global health crisis.

Dyer said: “I was born in East London and they have put up one of the morgues in Wanstead Flats. That’s not far from where my mum still lives and where we all grew up.

“This is where it becomes real because that’s where we played football, where I learned my trade. I went to Forest Gate School, which is just up the road.

“I only found out when one of my old schoolmates put it online and then I saw it on the news. That brought it all home as I used to play there as a kid and I know the site well. It must have been a daunting sight to see that go up.

“That’s why it is hard for me to talk about football right now when I know things like this are happening in the world.

“Football doesn’t mean much when people are dying. I know we have to do our jobs but it’s most important people follow the guidelines and stay home.

“I go out and exercise and have a run then do a bit of shopping for mum and my sisters. I quickly get in the car with my wife and take the stuff around and then
get back in. People have to do the right thing.”

Realities are harsh and Dyer is doing his best to keep in close contact with his Killie squad from 400 miles away.

These are worrying times for players. Both in terms of health and also with some moving out of contract and finances at clubs being hit.

Dyer’s own situation has yet to be resolved with his deal due to expire at the end of this season. He said: “I’m managing the club at the moment the best I can.

“When the powers-that-be tell me something different then I will act accordingly to that.

“We had a meeting before the break-up and certain things were pointed out which I obviously can’t discuss but I’m just taking the club forward during this important period and making sure that everyone is OK.

“Right now, I will do the best in these uncertain times and keep the players abreast of what’s going on. When it’s time for them to tell me what’s going on then I’ll take it on the chin whether it’s a good thing or a bad thing and move on from there.”

Dyer has regular chats with his playing staff and said: “I won’t stalk them. However, I’ll speak with them once a week together on Zoom. We did it on Thursday and it was a good laugh.

“There was a little bit of banter, which was good. But I also check with them individually just to see that everything is alright.

“I’m back in London and everything is a bit hectic down here but it’s not that tough being this far away because we have the capability to speak.

“We can’t train but that is small fry compared to what is going on around the world.

“Quite a few are out of contract this summer and I know that deep down they will be worrying about that.

“But we’ll deal with that at the right time. This is not the right time. They all know that.

“It’s one step at a time. The most important thing is that everyone is in good health and then we can get the go-ahead to go back and do our jobs.”

With clubs across the country investigating pay cuts, wage deferrals and furlough, Killie have yet to make any firm moves.

However, Dyer revealed talks were taking place and added: “Nothing has been decided at this present time.

“With the government and the furlough scheme, it might come to this club.

“You have the big clubs in the Premier League talking about it. If they can do it, then why can’t Kilmarnock if it has to be that way? It’s not come to that just yet. We’ll find out soon.

“Everyone knows what they are doing.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/alex-dyer-horrifying-pandemic-reality-21810940

"We had a meeting before the break-up and certain things were pointed out which I obviously can’t discuss but I’m just taking the club forward during this important period and making sure that everyone is OK." 

Hmm

'If results don't improve we're looking at someone else'? 

Always speaks really well. Obvious to see why the club and players were so keen to keep him around. 

Edited by mitch14

Does again hit home the sad effects of the current situation especially in places like London.

in terms of the football related part , with contracts running out along with loan periods ending in couple of months so many of our current squad especially currently with so much time on thier hands will be wanting to sort out futures 

For AD position given previous comments by BB and in the current climate would be surprised if he isn’t confirmed soon to have agreed a new longer contract and he and Fowler will probably be spending a lot of time discussing offering players new deals, next seasons plans and the recruitment process  “Online” , 

1 hour ago, CB said:

“We had a meeting before the break-up and certain things were pointed out which I obviously can’t discuss but I’m just taking the club forward during this important period and making sure that everyone is OK.

“Right now, I will do the best in these uncertain times and keep the players abreast of what’s going on. When it’s time for them to tell me what’s going on then I’ll take it on the chin whether it’s a good thing or a bad thing and move on from there.”

Doesn't sound good for him.

1 hour ago, historyman said:

Don’t understand why the club haven’t used the furlough scheme. They could put all the staff in it and top them up to their full salaries if they choose. Why not take the opportunity of the support when it is available? Who knows if it will continue beyond May. 

I think the Board is taking a responsible approach, unlike some other clubs. Because we have managed our finances well, we can still afford to pay the players and staff, rather than rely on Government hand outs. The problem is that those who have been spending beyond their means, and we all know who they are, will benefit in the long run.

14 minutes ago, historyman said:

So why penalise ourselves? Why let every other club get a financial boost (including bloody Celtic) and not do it ourselves?

A football club certainly has a legitimate case to say that their business has been adversely impacted by the lockdown. 

If we're paying full whack, out of contract players may be inclined to sign an extension?

Morally it's wrong, the government scheme was designed for people to stay at home where they would otherwise have went to work to ensure they get paid. If a company/club can pay it's staff it should. After this pandemic the WHOLE country is going to be riddled with debt and we should be prepared for normal punters to see an increase in tax to pay for all these measures whereas chunts like Joe Lewis use the government to stop paying their non playing staff and to protect the £2.8bn + they have in offshore accounts.

After all this is bye and country is back to some form of normality things will change for everybody and we will all face financial upheaval in many aspects of our lives and this will include unfortunately some of us not being able to commit  to our club as much as we would like to .

Really good article from AD, which again shows the character of the man. Not quite sure what the 'We had a meeting before the break-up and certain things were pointed out which I obviously can’t discuss but I’m just taking the club forward during this important period and making sure that everyone is OK' bit means, could be a discussion around results needing to improve had we played the last few games.

At the moment, its clearly just about keeping the players spirits up, and AD is a good man to have in place for that role.

1 hour ago, historyman said:

So why penalise ourselves? Why let every other club get a financial boost (including bloody Celtic) and not do it ourselves?

A football club certainly has a legitimate case to say that their business has been adversely impacted by the lockdown. 

Cos it isn’t a handout it’s a loan that will need paid back at some point. Future debt!

1 hour ago, Wee_Eck1979 said:

Morally it's wrong, the government scheme was designed for people to stay at home where they would otherwise have went to work to ensure they get paid. If a company/club can pay it's staff it should. After this pandemic the WHOLE country is going to be riddled with debt and we should be prepared for normal punters to see an increase in tax to pay for all these measures whereas chunts like Joe Lewis use the government to stop paying their non playing staff and to protect the £2.8bn + they have in offshore accounts.

They do have to stay at home while otherwise they would have went to work and there is nothing in the legislation regarding a company’s ability to pay. 

lm not saying it’s right, I agree that it’s entirely morally wrong, but Killie are not Spurs and we are not loaded as per the last set of accounts. 

if all the other clubs are doing it and we are not then we are putting ourselves at a disadvantage 

For me a lot of clubs are going to use this situation to clear the decks a bit. It’s wrong but it’s presented some with a golden opportunity. The manner in which Hearts went about things initially stunk of a club trying to push players towards the exit door. Aberdeen seem to be very active but the numbers show everything at Pittodrie isn’t as rosy as was made out previously. They are now talking about players deferring wages for up to four months.

I’ve got faith in our directors to steer us through this. 

2 hours ago, historyman said:

We can still pay them in full. Apply to the furlough scheme to get 80% or the max of £2,500 per month and then the club can  top up to 100%

I believe this is whats happening with staff with BB paying the additional 20% out of his own pocket. 

11 minutes ago, piffer said:

For me a lot of clubs are going to use this situation to clear the decks a bit. It’s wrong but it’s presented some with a golden opportunity.

I think what will happen is that some players who were going to be offered a new contract won't, and some will be offered one on the same or reduced terms.

After years of players having the upper hand, it's moved to the clubs and I don't think that's a bad thing. More young players will get a chance  and wage bills will be reduced without anybody being sacked. 

It's tough on players with contracts expiring this summer but a couple of months ago they would have been talking with their agents about what demands to make from their existing clubs. They might be happy to have a club now.

6 hours ago, malcr0 said:

Cos it isn’t a handout it’s a loan that will need paid back at some point. Future debt!

20200404_191741.jpg.90d70f47e80974b7d464e0687e4e5663.jpg

I'm sure the middle sentence will make for some interesting debate now & in the future, this was touched upon last week in some media outlets.....

Will the government treat players given training schedules by their clubs as working ?

Edited by C4mmy31

22 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

20200404_191741.jpg.90d70f47e80974b7d464e0687e4e5663.jpg

I'm sure the middle sentence will make for some interesting debate now & in the future, this was touched upon last week in some media outlets.....

Will the government treat players given training schedules by their clubs as working ?

Even if it was to be paid back it will buy clubs some time until they have cash coming in again.