Fill Yer Boots, Folks!

Mclean07

The criticisms of the Scottish Government’s response are most typically made by those who are opposed to independence, yet when it comes to attacking the record of the Scottish Government they appear to forget, or to want us to forget, that Scotland is not in fact an independent nation whose government has the full range of powers and abilities that independence implies. They wish their criticisms to operate in a conveniently devolved vacuum in which there is no British Government to place any constraints upon the freedom of movement of Holyrood. 

Moreover, Scotland is not an independent nation with an independent media. There is no other nation in Europe whose government has to contend with an overwhelmingly hostile media which is constantly attacking it for any divergence from the policies of the government of that nation’s southern neighbour. These are the very same press and media critics who are now demanding with the benefit of hindsight that the Scottish Government must be held to account for not adopting policies different from those of the British Government more decisively and at an earlier stage of the crisis. Yet if the Scottish Government had done just that, they’d have been leading the charge against Nicola Sturgeon for undermining the scientific advice that the UK was following. 

It is not mere anti-English whataboutery to compare the response of the Scottish Government with that of the British Government. Scotland, just like the other nations of the UK, operates within parameters set for it by the British Government. Scotland does not have the full powers to deal with the epidemic that the Irish or Danish governments have. Just this week we learned that the Chancellor of the Exchequer Rishi Sunak will refuse to extend furlough payments in Scotland if the Scottish Government decides that another lockdown is necessary. Scotland is to be dragged into following British Government decisions irrespective of what the scientific advice is for Scotland. That is a major constraint upon the freedom of action of the Scottish Government, and it’s one which British nationalists have refused to condemn – or even for the most part to mention. 

If you wish to attack the Scottish Government’s performance during this crisis as though it were the performance of the government of a fully independent nation, then it’s rank hypocrisy of the worst kind not to support efforts to ensure that Scotland has the powers of a fully independent nation. You cannot ignore the British Government elephant in the room. But we should not be surprised. Rank hypocrisy is the stock in trade of British nationalists in Scottish politics and the Scottish media. A nationalism which is founded upon the proposition that it is by definition non-nationalist has hypocrisy at its very core.

Hmmm. It could’ve almost have been written with a certain Killie fan in mind. 

2 hours ago, Shropshire_killie said:

FFS Drew at least back up with summat. Very childish mon!

He cant back it up,  it's just his usual level of moronic grunts, against Scotlamf to hide the absolute failures of his beloved so called yoonyin  which is really just the government for the SE corner of this island.

On 6/4/2020 at 12:47 PM, DrewWylie said:

STURGEON HAS FAILED 

lolz. wow.

The UK has failed. Of that there is no question.

We (the UK) are a disgrace in this.

But politicking always takes precedence doesn't it?

UK when we're winning, Scotland when we're not - and the opposite for mad Nats.

I like to think that most people are somewhere reasonably in the middle, and with the capacity for rational thought towards solutions rather than a blame culture.

I also think there's an interesting issue in all of this....

There are 4 nations in the UK, each managing their own response - why then in lockdown are there no border controls where there is a difference in policy?

Is it because politically it cannot be done as it would represent a concession by the Tory c**ts towards independence at the expense of public health?

I don't want the Cummings crew coming up to Scotland when we have a stricter policy in place - it makes a mockery of everything that devolved governments put in place.

Just now, dasboag said:

I don't want the Cummings crew coming up to Scotland when we have a stricter policy in place - it makes a mockery of everything that devolved governments put in place.

But they "OWN" Scotland to steal the outraged words of the English driver getting booked for breaking the lockdown in Wales on ITV News a couple of weeks ago.

1 minute ago, dasboag said:

I also think there's an interesting issue in all of this....

There are 4 nations in the UK, each managing their own response - why then in lockdown are there no border controls where there is a difference in policy?

Is it because politically it cannot be done as it would represent a concession by the Tory c**ts towards independence at the expense of public health?

We cannot I believe actually close the border.  This is I believe is a reserved matter....

The devolution settlement is designed to.not actually allow the devolved parliaments to actually make much of a difference.  It's only the SNP who have actually done anything which could be classed as different from the UK in a lot of areas.

Bit as with almost everything in the UK, the real powers are retained, and as such we are at the mercy of the UK government.

1 hour ago, Scooter said:

There's only one person on here who's sole motivation to post is driven by hatred and grievance! 9_9

I’m still waiting on the list of improvements in your area in the twelve years of SNP power with billions of pounds at their disposal. C’mon, if Labour were SO  ad it must be easy. There must be at least one. You can’t leave it all to Prince Charlie. The local SNP hierarchy are never away from Dumfries House getting their phots taken. 

18 hours ago, Zorro said:

Hmmm. It could’ve almost have been written with a certain Killie fan in mind. 

Scotland can and has made different decisions during the crisis, it just doesn’t want to grow up and own them. Mind you, most of them just mimic England a couple of weeks later.

Scotland would be never have had a furlough scheme. The collapse in oil revenue, the loss of the fiscal transfer and the collapse of the Scottish currency or the restrictions of still being tied to the a Bank of England would ensure that. 

The Scottish Government gets virtually no scrutiny due to the lack of detailed knowledge in the south and the cowed Scottish media who are afraid to ask difficult questions for fear of being hounded out of their jobs and are too busy gathering young school children to chant together in praise Of The Great Leader.

It’s always someone “Elsies” fault. Need to grow up sometime. 

2 hours ago, Mclean07 said:

I’m still waiting on the list of improvements in your area in the twelve years of SNP power with billions of pounds at their disposal. C’mon, if Labour were SO  ad it must be easy. There must be at least one. You can’t leave it all to Prince Charlie. The local SNP hierarchy are never away from Dumfries House getting their phots taken. 

Away and take yer face for a s**te.  You have zero posts of value to offer the debate.  All you post is SNP baaad while dreaming of long ago days when Liebour were relevant, and you have still not criticised the Tory government once.

Utterly shameful, if you could actually feel any shame.

Edited by Beaker71

44 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

Scotland can and has made different decisions during the crisis, it just doesn’t want to grow up and own them. Mind you, most of them just mimic England a couple of weeks later.

Scotland would be never have had a furlough scheme. The collapse in oil revenue, the loss of the fiscal transfer and the collapse of the Scottish currency or the restrictions of still being tied to the a Bank of England would ensure that. 

The Scottish Government gets virtually no scrutiny due to the lack of detailed knowledge in the south and the cowed Scottish media who are afraid to ask difficult questions for fear of being hounded out of their jobs and are too busy gathering young school children to chant together in praise Of The Great Leader.

You're absolutely delusional,  maybe we wouldn't have needed a furlough scheme because we would've implement a UBI?

There is NO fiscal transfer, ffs, lost cou t of how many time you've been owned on this.  When we dont have the bank account powers how the f**k can we over spend you numbnut.

As for your comment on scrutiny,  you're living in a serious delusion.  There literally isnt another country in the world where their media is controlled by another nation and literally spends its entire time hounding the government, making s**te up, and where the state broadcaster is run by another nation and actively meddles in referendums for one side.

You need to grow up and come to the table with some sensible debate,  not UK propaganda which have been proven to be absolute bulls**t.

56 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

Reading that it’s hard not to conclude you’re brainwashed. The collapse of the U.K. currency and several economic sectors hasn’t stopped it from borrowing astronomical amounts to pay for a furlough scheme. It should be noted that Scotland will be expected to shoulder its share of this new borrowing as well as its share of the U.K’s existing debt. Don’t worry though, we’re good for it. But it’s good to see you still banging the “fiscal deficit” drum. What’s the latest calculation, Scotland must presumably be responsible for 70, 80 or 90% of the U.K. deficit by now. Funny thing is Wales and Norn Ireland get told the exact same. Only good old England runs a surplus. Lucky for us they’re so charitable. Maybe we should get some pensioners to walk up and down their gardens to raise funds to pay our deficit. 

it’s also interesting to note that you’re happy for Scotland and England to be compared, but only when we “mimic” them, not when we outperform them. Some people would call that hypocrisy, not me obviously. I know you’re a balanced individual with a chip on both shoulders regarding independence. I’ve heard this grievance stems from the failure to be elected as a local councillor; beaten into second place by the SNP’s candidate, please tell me that’s not true. Ideological differences I could take, but the thought I’d wasted so many words debating with you, just because you were being petulant would be deflating. 

I don’t suppose you see the irony of accusing everyone else of grievance politics, when it’s all we get from you? Probably not. It’s obvious to most people though. 

18 minutes ago, EKX16 said:

Years ago when I voted Labour I spent most of my time running down the Tories not the SNP. Maybe that's one of the reasons why Labour in Scotland have only one MP. 

It's about to get even worse as they are reportedly about to strengthen their opposition to a 2and referendum and want .... a UK constitutional convention and more devolution.  Aye they promised that during the indy ref and then worked against everything behind closed doors.  Christ even the Tories wanted more powers than labour were willing to release.

Absolute shower.  Be as well changing their name to Labour and unionist party.

Exclusive: Welfare should reflect ‘what you put in’ to tackle public mistrust, says Labour’s shadow DWP secretary

Exclusive: Welfare should reflect ‘what you put in’ to tackle public mistrust, says Labour’s shadow DWP secretary

Jonathan Reynolds hit out at the “Victorian” Universal Credit. (Image: UK Parliament)

3 min read05 June

Britain’s welfare system needs a stronger link between “what you put in and what you get out” to tackle cynicism among working people, Labour’s new Shadow Work and Pensions Secretary has said.

Jonathan Reynolds said those who have made “greater contributions to the system” should receive more out of it.

And he told The House that a lack of “connection”between contributions and support was now a “big problem” for Britain’s social security system.

In his first national interview since being appointed to Sir Keir Starmer’s Shadow Cabinet, Mr Reynolds called for the Government’s “Victorian” Universal Credit welfare system to be scrapped and replaced with a simpler model that is available to all.

And he said: “One of the reasons that support for social security has diminished amongst parts of the country is the sense that people put into the system and they don’t get anything out of it.

ADVERTISING

“In a way, if you look at eligibility for Universal Credit, people are not wrong.

“You can make significant contributions to the system and find that actually, you’re not really eligible for any major support if you need it, even in a crisis like this one.

“I think you’ve got to recognise that that’s a big problem for working people in the UK.”

The Labour frontbencher added: “When you’re looking at how you design or change the system going forward, certainly I feel if you have made greater contributions to the system, there is an argument that you should receive more out of that system.

“It doesn’t mean that you will ever be leaving people without support or leaving them destitute.

“But I simply feel that that lack of a connection between what you put in and what you get out has become a major problem of social security and the political support for it.”

'VICTORIAN ATTITUDE'

Mr Reynolds also called for the savings threshold in Universal Credit, which rules out support for individuals and couples with more than £16,000 in savings, to be ditched during the coronavirus crisis.

"I think the income threshold, the means-tested bit of Universal Credit should go during the crisis, because if you've been saving for a housing deposit or substantial item, you of course could end up with no eligibility at all because of that, or at least more likely have a substantially reduced entitlement,” he said.

And the Shadow Work and Pensions Secretary said of Universal Credit: “It is a system predicated on a very kind of Victorian attitude to poor people. The ethos of it is mean, it is something almost predicated on the idea that you've got to hit people with a stick, to get them back into work.”

The Labour welfare spokesperson meanwhile argued that the Covid-19 pandemic had “destroyed” the case for the Government’s two-child welfare limit and the benefits cap, and said the No Recourse to Public Funds (NRPF) ban on a raft of welfare payments for thousands of migrants should not apply.

He instead wants ministers to increase Jobseeker's Allowance and Employment and Support Allowance in line with the £20-a-week rise to Universal Credit, ditch the five-week wait for Universal Credit payments, and make Statutory Sick Pay both available to all and more generous than its current £95.85 a week.

Mr Reynolds also used his interview with The House to set out what the underlying principles of a welfare system under Labour should be.

They include greater use of universal benefits; increased dignity and respect for disabled people; and a push to end child poverty

Oops.... This is a bit awkward for those Labour supporters who go on about the SNP’s middle class subsidies. Luckily Labour haven’t got a snowball in hells chance of being in power anytime in the next decade so they can always claim they don’t support everything their party does, but unlike SNP supporters they can criticise their own party.