Killie Kit Cup

Lroy

43 minutes ago, RAG said:

The 'best' kits are usually associated with successful teams.  

I can't see the logic in that. 

Maybe the most recognisable kits, or the most iconic kits, but plenty of teams have been successful in crap kits.

Just as many teams have looked good but been rotten.

1 hour ago, skygod said:

I can't see the logic in that. Maybe the most recognisable kits, or the most iconic kits, but plenty of teams have been successful in crap kits. Just as many teams have looked good but been rotten.

Very true.  Still think is a good element of nostalgia in there.  Are you voting for the best designed kit, or your memories of  favourite kits and the players that played inside them?  I'm not old enough to have seen the teams of the 60s, 70s or 80s so that's why I don't feel the same affinity with the older designs.  But a pic of Durrant in that Puma kit from 1998 would be hard to beat. Even though it's not my absolute favourite kit, was probably the pinnacle of what's I've seen in any of the kits.

Edited by RAG

9 hours ago, skygod said:

It seems from comments that people are voting for kits from successful eras or associating them with popular players rather than judging the aesthetic design of the kits. 

It depends on what you take from “Greatest Killie kit of all time”, I suppose. 

Yeah I see a lot of folk (younger) are picking a kit for the first time they watched us, or bought/were gifted the kit. That doesn’t make them great kits, just personal memories. I’ve picked so far on an aesthetic and not thought about who filled them at the time. Otherwise we could have had a s**t brown strip with puke stain detail but if Eremenko/TB/Durrant* had worn them it would be popular although we all can see it’s bogging. 
*delete as appropriate. 

16 hours ago, RAG said:

I'm not old enough to have seen the teams of the 60s, 70s or 80s so that's why I don't feel the same affinity with the older designs.  

It looks like this is the popular view as the oldest winning kit so far is from 1991. 

Plus the sheer weight of numbers created by the club changing kits every other - and now every - year since then militates against the kits from previous eras. 

It’s a fun diversion created by the club and Lroy which is consistently attracting up to 1,500 votes daily. 

However, I think the end result is going to tell us more about best teams and players in the last thirty years than best kits. 

10 minutes ago, Lroy said:

I was complaining earlier about the keeper top not winning but then I realised you need to be 30 to have even been alive when it was launched! Most of them young twitter users don't have a clue about our 80s and 90s kits.

Tartan keeper kit falls into that category. 

Just now, Pompey Exile said:

Also why aren't goalie tops padded these days?

I got a pair of 1869 Sky Blue goalie shorts a couple of years ago in the sale.  Great shorts, good length unlike the Nike ones!  Spent a good hour cutting the stitching off the padding on the hips.  Perfect job I made of it too.

I’ve always thought the 1997 strip was spoilt by too many quirky details. 

The white pin-stripe. The checkered band half an inch from the end of the sleeve. The KFC on the collar. 

If we hadn’t won the cup, I doubt it would have been that popular. 

Nice shade of blue and fuzzy sponsor’s patch though! 

DE11148F-D174-4764-ABD1-848D65016D88.jpeg

8E325F76-EC54-49E0-B8C3-1297B40DDAA5.jpeg

E7380354-A355-4CA9-ABA9-A0D781E20017.jpeg

Edited by skygod