How it ends

piffer

4 hours ago, Wee_Eck1979 said:

How can we call the lower leagues now but yet wait to finish the top league?

They may say they want sporting integrity but really we all no it’s simply about money, all the leagues are suffering financially and all deserve the same respect from the SFA and SPFL. Treating the lower league teams different from the “elite” is just discrimination and morally wrong.

it just shows they don't care at all about most of the clubs in the country.

Would be disgraceful - especially for Falkirk

48 minutes ago, Bad company said:

Why can’t the government treat us like grown ups and give us a realistic heads up  . 

If they said the end of May, say, and the time came round and the virus was still rife, people would either blame the government, or just ignore the lockdown.

I don't think any government has given an approximate end date. All eyes should be on Sweden to see how their continuation of near normal life pans out. 

I think the restriction will be lifted first for everybody under 65 who is not in the vulnerable groups. When this will be, I can't guess. 

Edited by skygod

7 minutes ago, skygod said:

If they said the end of May, say, and the time came round and the virus was still rife, people would either blame the government, or just ignore the lockdown.

I don't think any government has given an approximate end date. All eyes should be on Sweden to see how their continuation of near normal life pans out. 

I think the restriction will be lifted first for everybody under 65 who is not in the vulnerable groups. When this will be, I can't guess. 

Can see Scotland ending the lockdown when it comes before England

I don’t see it ending soon. At least another month anyway. The Italians and Spanish are still in lockdown having gone into it before us and then into a stricter version as well. If anything I’m surprised we haven’t went down that route though it may happen this week depending on people’s antics over the weekend. 

While I don’t think we will come out of lockdown before England I do feel we will come through the virus before them. People who stay down there will be able to comment more but IMO places like London and other big cities are a ticking time bomb.

1 hour ago, piffer said:

.... IMO places like London and other big cities are a ticking time bomb.

Not surprising when you consider that Scotland has population of 5.5m in an area of 30,000 square miles, while London’s population is  9m in an area of 611 square miles. 

That doesn’t include visitors and commuters. 

Ideal conditions for a virus to spread, and worrying that it is also the seat of government, civil service and associated bodies. Not surprising that politicians and other leaders have been affected. 

It’s an argument for decentralisation in the future. There are probably rural hospitals lying empty, waiting for their first Covid patient while London’s hospitals are swamped. 

You can’t move patients to where the bed capacity is. 

To get slightly closer to topic, I can’t see the restrictions on movement being lifted earlier in different parts of the UK, except possibly Northern Ireland.  

Difficult following the plan closely, but am I right in thinking good scenario could be to end the season, which gives teams prize moneyand let's them plan, and then reconstruct the leagues to minimise the unfairness for the relegated/not promoted teams? That does feel like the least unfair to an extent 

4 hours ago, mitch14 said:

Difficult following the plan closely, but am I right in thinking good scenario could be to end the season, which gives teams prize moneyand let's them plan, and then reconstruct the leagues to minimise the unfairness for the relegated/not promoted teams? That does feel like the least unfair to an extent 

What happens if you reconstruct the leagues and the same thing happens next season?  The 12 team. SPL works better with a split than a 14 team league would.  If this season is an anomaly, seems a bad move to reconstruct future leagues based on a season that didn’t work out as expected.

They should settle it on point average, put an asterisks on Celtic wining it, let Hearts sue them and move on with life. The idea of playing this season in December with teams having different squads of players doesn’t stack up IMO.  

12 hours ago, pmonty3 said:

Walking is not the problem. Gathering is. House parties are.

Walking is good for you. If you're following guidelines I don't get why there's an issue with it? There will be people taking exercise for the first time in decades. Covid -19 doesn't stop heart attacks, diabetes and strokes from happening. Those risks are still there and they need to be minimised. People need to move around and they need to breathe fresh air. 

I don't think it's been a joke in the slightest. Personally I'm over three weeks without coming into contact with anyone bar my wife, kids and a few folk in Tesco. Usually in that time I'm at Rugby Park with 5000 others, playing 2/3 gigs to 200 folk, working with around 100 young people per week, in pubs/restaurants/shops/gym with countless others. Meeting Pals, family etc. Thousands upon thousands of social interactions that haven't happened. Large swathes of the population are doing the same. Hugely reducing the chances of spreading this , or any other , virus. People are doing their bit in my opinion. It's the leadership and management of the whole situation I'd be critical of. 

Correct and well said

15 hours ago, pmonty3 said:

Walking is not the problem. Gathering is. House parties are.

Walking is good for you. If you're following guidelines I don't get why there's an issue with it? There will be people taking exercise for the first time in decades. Covid -19 doesn't stop heart attacks, diabetes and strokes from happening. Those risks are still there and they need to be minimised. People need to move around and they need to breathe fresh air. 

I don't think it's been a joke in the slightest. Personally I'm over three weeks without coming into contact with anyone bar my wife, kids and a few folk in Tesco. Usually in that time I'm at Rugby Park with 5000 others, playing 2/3 gigs to 200 folk, working with around 100 young people per week, in pubs/restaurants/shops/gym with countless others. Meeting Pals, family etc. Thousands upon thousands of social interactions that haven't happened. Large swathes of the population are doing the same. Hugely reducing the chances of spreading this , or any other , virus. People are doing their bit in my opinion. It's the leadership and management of the whole situation I'd be critical of. 

Well said mate

Interesting, need that one remaining vote to be in favour for the championship for them all to pass...

https://spfl.co.uk/news/statement-from-the-spfl-board

Friday 10th April 2020

STATEMENT FROM THE SPFL BOARD

THE SPFL BOARD MET THIS EVENING TO CONSIDER THE RESPONSES TO THE RESOLUTION SENT TO CLUBS ON 8 APRIL.

The SPFL Board met this evening to consider the responses to the resolution sent to clubs on 8 April.

As at 5pm, the SPFL had received 39 responses, 85% of which have been in favour, as follows:

Votes in favour

Votes against

Ladbrokes Premiership (nine supporting votes needed)

Ladbrokes Championship (eight supporting votes needed)

Ladbrokes League 1 & League 2 (15 supporting votes needed)

With three clubs yet to vote, the SPFL will issue further updates in due course.

A spokesman said: “It is very important that clubs consider carefully the resolution and we are grateful to those clubs who have voted already.

“With the Ladbrokes Premiership and Ladbrokes Leagues 1 & 2 divisions each having approved the resolution, we await the voting slip from the one Ladbrokes Championship club that has yet to vote. We will provide an update as soon as we are in a position to do so.”