How it ends

piffer

The man from Dundee, he say yes! 

Dundee have submitted a ‘yes’ vote to the SPFL’s proposals paving the way for Celtic, Dundee United, Raith Rovers and Cove Rangers to be crowned champions.

Courier Sport understands the Dark Blues told Hampden chiefs of their decision this afternoon and are awaiting a response from league bosses.

Should the SPFL board accept Dundee’s vote, the Championship, League One and League Two seasons will immediately be declared on a points per game basis.

The Premiership will remain on hiatus, but could subsequently be called at the SPFL board’s discretion.

More to follow.

the courier

5 minutes ago, mitch14 said:

Hope we see some reconstruction that will stop this dragging on for months and ending up in court 

You could be reconstructing the leagues for teams that will be bust in 6 months and possibly relegated to bottom tier.  Don't think Killie are in that category. If we still owned the hotel and the debt that came along with it, we'd be the first under.  Until they know exactly when it's safe to start and which teams are still gonna be financially solvent, I really don't see how reconstruction is possible.

19 minutes ago, RAG said:

You could be reconstructing the leagues for teams that will be bust in 6 months and possibly relegated to bottom tier.  Don't think Killie are in that category. If we still owned the hotel and the debt that came along with it, we'd be the first under.  Until they know exactly when it's safe to start and which teams are still gonna be financially solvent, I really don't see how reconstruction is possible.

14-10-10-10 for me. No relegations, both Lowland League and Highland League champions up to make up League 2 shortfall. 

1 hour ago, Pompey Exile said:

Why are they sending the season now when we have no idea how long this will go on for. Really does seem like jumping the gun. 

I don't think ending leagues that haven't been properly concluded is right. Should either finish whenever possible or make the season void

The guidance they got from the government was that June 10 was the absolute earliest date and current comparisons with other countries etc show even then to be extremely unlikely. Plus the consensus seems to be that the players will need a short pre season. 

I think calling it now is right, although they've made an arse of the process. A 'clean' start to next season would be preferable, but I think that's likely behind closed doors. 

With that decision now confirmed, even after the bizarre way it was handled..will probably be only a matter of time now till the decision re top league is finalised .

Even with Hertz trying everything just cannot see a rushed new league set up getting the required votes from clubs so ATM looks like one up one down.

Be sad to lose out on those victory away days at tynecastle .....

4 hours ago, KTID said:

I can really only seeing it being a top flight of 16. Why else would Dundee reverse their vote if they don’t benefit? 

There has got to something on it for them. I would suspect they will be playing in the top league next season - whatever it looks like.

Still don’t know why they couldn’t have finished off the leagues in a few weeks when restrictions were lifted, scrapped the League Cup and then started the new season a bit later. 

if I was a thistle or Falkirk fan I would be fuming. 

Edited by historyman

20 minutes ago, historyman said:

f I was a thistle or Falkirk fan I would be fuming. 

It's corrupt as f***.  They voted yet claimed the vote wasn't valid?  That's without question corruption of the voting process and potentially a lot more mate. While I think it is the right decision to end the season, if I were Partick or Falkirk - even Hearts, I'd be seeking advice..

Edited by RAG

4 minutes ago, RAG said:

It's corrupt as f***.  They voted yet claimed the vote wasn't valid?  That's without question corruption of the voting process and potentially a lot more mate. While I think it is the right decision is to end the season, if I were Partick or Falkirk, I'd be seeking advice..

The obvious argument they have as far as I’m concerned is that as the required number of games weren’t played then the season cannot be finished and issues like promotion and relegation decided. I don’t believe there is anything in the rules for that so the season should be voided.

i also can’t believe they put something on the table which was basically it’s ok for you three diddy leagues but we probably wont be doing that in the premier. 

Its also a shame for teams like Dundee Utd, Raith etc as well as it’s not the nicest way to win a championship - same for Liverpool if they go down that road in England.

Have any other countries done what we have done.?

9 minutes ago, historyman said:

The obvious argument they have as far as I’m concerned is that as the required number of games weren’t played then the season cannot be finished and issues like promotion and relegation decided. I don’t believe there is anything in the rules for that so the season should be voided.

i also can’t believe they put something on the table which was basically it’s ok for you three diddy leagues but we probably wont be doing that in the premier. 

Its also a shame for teams like Dundee Utd, Raith etc as well as it’s not the nicest way to win a championship - same for Liverpool if they go down that road in England.

Have any other countries done what we have done.?

None of that explains why Dundee were allowed to vote twice - which is what's happened in a clearly unequal process.

I agree it should all be settled in one foul swoop, but TV deals, revenue count for a lot. In England ,Lee Johnson had said way they'd approach games was Bristol staying in hotels, quarantined for 6 weeks to finish season. Possible in EPL/EFL/SPL but not in lower Scottish divisions. FA already ended the semi pro ,PT national leagues.  I accept Scots Championship should have been (on paper) left to run like SPL, but I really don't see difference in PT national leagues in England (already called by FA)  and League 1 or 2 up here, given players have 'day jobs' and non football 'bosses/commitments' to contend with.

Edited by RAG

6 hours ago, RAG said:

It's corrupt as f***.  They voted yet claimed the vote wasn't valid?  That's without question corruption of the voting process and potentially a lot more mate. While I think it is the right decision to end the season, if I were Partick or Falkirk - even Hearts, I'd be seeking advice..

Agreed, it’s definite corruption. They voted no, then cooked up a story about not receiving the no vote, even though there’s picture evidence. Now saying if you vote no you can change your vote but if you vote yes you cannot. 
the whole thing stinks and is pathetic. 

im also not at all comfortable knowing we voted for this and essentially relegated a team who were two points behind the team above them with one game in hand. 

1 hour ago, Fudger said:

im also not at all comfortable knowing we voted for this and essentially relegated a team who were two points behind the team above them with one game in hand. 

We are doing no different from every other SPFL club, voting for what, our board feel, is in the best interests of our club.

6 minutes ago, C4mmy31 said:

We are doing no different from every other SPFL club, voting for what, our board feel, is in the best interests of our club.

For years Rangers and Celtic have done that and we've never let them off with it. Our league comes off totally mickey mouse through this. We are an embarrassment