14 team league

KFC_Macca

Being reported in a few places that there is now a strong push for league reconstruction with a 14 team premiership in place for next season, with a 6-8 team split after 2 rounds of games.

Might be driven by self preservation by some, nevertheless I think it would be good for the game. More teams in the league (more variety of away trips/opponents), equal number of home and aways against each team. Bring it on.

7 minutes ago, KFC_Macca said:

Being reported in a few places that there is now a strong push for league reconstruction with a 14 team premiership in place for next season, with a 6-8 team split after 2 rounds of games.

Might be driven by self preservation by some, nevertheless I think it would be good for the game. More teams in the league (more variety of away trips/opponents), equal number of home and aways against each team. Bring it on.

Sounds better than the current stale format.

I'd like top 2 leagues of 16, 10 team Highland and Lowland then regional pyramid below that. Top 2 leagues see teams play each other twice, 30 games. I think it makes the most organisational sense but it's a hell of a drop in fixtures and therefore gate revenue so an absolute nonstarter.

11 minutes ago, PieFace1869 said:

So you would play each team twice after the split? 

I think 14 is better than 12 but I still don’t like it. Personally, I would like an 18 team premiership. Play each other twice with no split, 3 teams relegated/promoted. 

Yes, play twice after split.

i understand what you say for an 18 team league but will never happen because the tv companies want 4 old firm fixtures

No chance of any reconstruction .Why would teams vote to dilute the money even more ? Any TV deal would demand 4 infirm games ,without that any deal would be a pittance .This country is actually to small to support all the senior teams .Should be 2 leagues of 10 and the rest in some sort of pyrimid system .That would be more in line with a country of 5 .5 million .Better share of the TV/sponsorship money between the leagues would also help .Remember Aberdeen and Dundee Utd both won the league when it was 10 teams and reached European finals 

I do like the split as it adds a bit of spice to certain battles(title, Europe, relegation) with head to heads at the end of the season but it can be a shambles at the moment. 6th and 7th can be tied on points and separated on goal difference. It’s then possible results depending for 7th to gain 15 more points than sixth. If we split after two rounds of fixtures and the bottom half go on to play an additional 14 games to the top's 10 we could see some truly bizarre final totals.

Two rounds of fixtures is far too early to split if we are to play an additional two rounds after the split. 

28 minutes ago, Scouser2 said:

Never going to happen , if it has that split 

why would most top level clubs vote for system which would result in huge loss of revenue for them...if in that bottom 8

Actually, you would be guaranteed 20 home games if you were in the bottom half of the split. As things stand you get a variable number of home games, but is normally 18 or 19

8 minutes ago, Killiepies said:

No chance of any reconstruction .Why would teams vote to dilute the money even more ? Any TV deal would demand 4 infirm games ,without that any deal would be a pittance .This country is actually to small to support all the senior teams .Should be 2 leagues of 10 and the rest in some sort of pyrimid system .That would be more in line with a country of 5 .5 million .Better share of the TV/sponsorship money between the leagues would also help .Remember Aberdeen and Dundee Utd both won the league when it was 10 teams and reached European finals 

Fair point. 

But do we really want the probability of playing the same teams 4 times a season with the possibility of more if you draw them in the cups?

Also things have moved on since the 80s football has changed beyond all recognition. 

You could also argue Celtic won the European Cup having been champions of an 18 team league. 

10 minutes ago, Killiepies said:

No chance of any reconstruction .Why would teams vote to dilute the money even more ?

We’ve already seen a number of clubs move to make more from the visits of Celtic and Rangers. Can’t see those clubs then voting to take the hit. St Johnstone have said they had to do it as money wasn’t coming from elsewhere. They won’t go with it end up with their big gates before Christmas and very little after that. 

Like the idea of 16 team league with 8/8 split. 

I take the point on 1 less old form game but sure that would be made up for by the fact that there would be significantly more derby fixtures in the league (or at least the prospect of).

If you took this seasons 12 plus 4 from champ you’d have:

Dundee v Dundee Utd

Inverness v Ross County

Killie v Ayr 

You may not make up for the viewing figures but would be better for selling the product in the long term I think

31 minutes ago, Maverick11 said:

Like the idea of 16 team league with 8/8 split. 

I take the point on 1 less old form game but sure that would be made up for by the fact that there would be significantly more derby fixtures in the league (or at least the prospect of).

If you took this seasons 12 plus 4 from champ you’d have:

Dundee v Dundee Utd

Inverness v Ross County

Killie v Ayr 

You may not make up for the viewing figures but would be better for selling the product in the long term I think

Not averse to that idea (presumably you're talking about a split after 30 games) as it's less post split games than the option in the OP.

Uneven number of games v the teams in your half though. And you just know Celtic and Rangers wouldn't agree to that.

1 hour ago, KFC_Macca said:

Actually, you would be guaranteed 20 home games if you were in the bottom half of the split. As things stand you get a variable number of home games, but is normally 18 or 19

But if in the bottom 8 , a club would lose out with loss revenue from away fans of top 6 clubs that current set up might provide given 3 games before current split happens  ....then would be even less tv coverage , hospitality and sponsorship revenue streams could suffer also good chance if not involved in relegation and with such a long post break format of games could lead to number of meaningless fixtures for the middle teams in bottom 8 

With the regulations in place any new league set up plan will need nearly all top clubs vote to get passed.......zero chance of that if even 2 or 3 clubs feel it would lose them finance 

Edited by Scouser2

2 hours ago, Scouser2 said:

Never going to happen , if it has that split 

why would most top level clubs vote for system which would result in huge loss of revenue for them...if in that bottom 8

Isn’t that one of the main reasons for the bottom half to have two more team and therefore two more home fixtures, to offset the ‘bigger away support’ not coming to town!

I kind of quite like the idea of 16 with an 8:8 split but you’d have to play each other twice after the split. I don’t like any league setup that has uneven home / away split as it kind of defeats the purpose of a league to me. Everyone should be on a level footing by the end of the season.

That would give 44 games, meaning more revenue. When we used to have 44 games in the past we said this was too many but compared to championship in England, there is 46 games. More time to blood young players. 

I don’t think there is appetite for this, but from a theoretical point of view this is what I’d like.

Edited by KFC_Macca

9 minutes ago, KFC_Macca said:

I kind of quite like the idea of 16 with an 8:8 split but you’d have to play each other twice after the split. I don’t like any league setup that has uneven home / away split as it kind of defeats the purpose of a league to me. Everyone should be on a level footing by the end of the season.

That would give 44 games, meaning more revenue. When we used to have 44 games in the past we said this was too many but compared to championship in England, there is 46 games. More time to blood young players. 

I don’t think there is appetite for this, but from a theoretical point of view this is what I’d like.

The Championship in England has twenty four teams. I don't think even more pointless fixtures for most of the teams in the league outside of the teams in the European/relegation places is going to excite fans of the rest of the teams.