14 team league

KFC_Macca

15 minutes ago, Wrangodog said:

The Championship in England has twenty four teams. I don't think even more pointless fixtures for most of the teams in the league outside of the teams in the European/relegation places is going to excite fans of the rest of the teams. 

Haha I have no doubt you are right, Wrangodog. Please forgive my flimsy backtracking under the merest scrutiny!

Perhaps I just have to get over my discomfort of uneven number of home and away games against certain teams. I guess a system which provides excitement trumps a boring but perfectly symmetrical league! 

Comparisons with England meaningless. Population  56million Scotland 5.3 million.

We can barely support a 12 team top league never mind an eighteen. 

Radical change of format is needed, adding clubs on it's own would be a disaster. The old format 18 league didn't work, the 10 top flight was little better due to the threat of relegation,  so the present set up is the best of the 3 IMO.

However a radical change could breathe new life into the SPFL.

16 team play each other twice a good winter break and all cup games played at weekend. No midweek football would be miles better but again pandering to the old filth would knock this on head. Again we would have the lack of games = less income brigade but 4 games against same teams is torture. Would even prefer 18 teams than what we have 

4 hours ago, KFC_Macca said:

Being reported in a few places that there is now a strong push for league reconstruction with a 14 team premiership in place for next season, with a 6-8 team split after 2 rounds of games.

Might be driven by self preservation by some, nevertheless I think it would be good for the game. More teams in the league (more variety of away trips/opponents), equal number of home and aways against each team. Bring it on.

Only to save hearts 

24 minutes ago, KFC_Macca said:

Haha I have no doubt you are right, Wrangodog. Please forgive my flimsy backtracking under the merest scrutiny!

Perhaps I just have to get over my discomfort of uneven number of home and away games against certain teams. I guess a system which provides excitement trumps a boring but perfectly symmetrical league! 

If we really want boring and symmetry, then eighteen playing home and away is the way to go. It isn't the numbers that is the basic problem, it's no other club offering a challenge to Celtic and Sevco. There might be slightly more chance of a challenge to C and S if we only play teams home and away once. I follow Killie with my heart but my head says Scottish football is dead for all but two clubs, and the second one is now largely irrelevant. 

3 hours ago, Maverick11 said:

Like the idea of 16 team league with 8/8 split. 

I take the point on 1 less old form game but sure that would be made up for by the fact that there would be significantly more derby fixtures in the league (or at least the prospect of).

If you took this seasons 12 plus 4 from champ you’d have:

Dundee v Dundee Utd

Inverness v Ross County

Killie v Ayr 

You may not make up for the viewing figures but would be better for selling the product in the long term I think

100% would like to see this. I think it would bring a freshness to the league that your not playing everyone as often. Might be a slight drop in revenue with 1 less game and visit from the old firm but would be more than made up for with at least 1 home Ayrshire derby, at least for the 1st season anyway. 

9 minutes ago, Wrangodog said:

If we really want boring and symmetry, then eighteen playing home and away is the way to go. It isn't the numbers that is the basic problem, it's no other club offering a challenge to Celtic and Sevco. There might be slightly more chance of a challenge to C and S if we only play teams home and away once. I follow Killie with my heart but my head says Scottish football is dead for all but two clubs, and the second one is now largely irrelevant. 

Sheesh you’re making me depressed Wrangodog!

It can’t be that bad. Only 12 months ago we were having our most exciting season in living memory.

35 minutes ago, KFC_Macca said:

Sheesh you’re making me depressed Wrangodog!

It can’t be that bad. Only 12 months ago we were having our most exciting season in living memory.

Yes, they can't take that season away from us even though this one has gone from bad to worse. 

Just realised you said living memory. I was lucky enough to be at Tynecastle in 1965, don't think I slept at all the night before that game. 

Edited by Wrangodog

34 minutes ago, Wrangodog said:

Yes, they can't take that season away from us even though this one has gone from bad to worse. 

Just realised you said living memory. I was lucky enough to be at Tynecastle in 1965, don't think I slept at all the night before that game. 

Fair play sir, that game’s the daddy of them all. Few years before my time 

4 minutes ago, Bonbon19 said:

I like Livvy’s plan , but it’s too sensible . Who knows , if Doncaster gets rinsed , there could be a real discussion about league reconstruction 

For all the talk of boring end of season games, if you went to 20 teams, they'd be more derbies.

Killie A*r, St Mirren Morton, big fixtures that don't happen very often in 10 or 12 team leagues.

We must have played Aberdeen over 100 times in the league since the last Ayrshire derby league match.

Well now with all the junior teams this side of the country including Talbot and Buffs making a another new 6th teir league.

Id much prefer the league structure to be;

Premiership - 16 Teams

Championship - 16 Teams

League 1 - 12 Teams

League 2 - 12 Teams

New league - consisting of a merge if highland and lowland league teams.

Then the usual regional 6th teir leagues.

Just now, RAG said:

For all the talk of boring end of season games, if you went to 20 teams, they'd be more derbies.

Killie A*r, St Mirren Morton, big fixtures that don't happen very often in 10 or 12 team leagues.

We must have played Aberdeen over 100 times in the league since the last Ayrshire derby league match.

I can remember the 20 team league all the way back to the 60,s. I don’t remember there ever being a time when I or my pals said “ nah I’m not going to see the Morton/Airdrie/Clyde last match of the season . If only to throw objects at and exchange insults with the section B Boys :) 

We need a change from this turgid same old same old carousel we are currently on. 

15 minutes ago, Bonbon19 said:

I can remember the 20 team league all the way back to the 60,s. I don’t remember there ever being a time when I or my pals said “ nah I’m not going to see the Morton/Airdrie/Clyde last match of the season . If only to throw objects at and exchange insults with the section B Boys :) 

We need a change from this turgid same old same old carousel we are currently on. 

I'm not disagreeing that a bigger league would be an improvement, but it was only 18 in the top league back in the 60s. You've got to go back to before the war for a 20 team league. 

55 minutes ago, Bonbon19 said:

Exactly

1 hour ago, Fankle said:

I'm not disagreeing that a bigger league would be an improvement, but it was only 18 in the top league back in the 60s. You've got to go back to before the war for a 20 team league. 

Dementia Fankle caused by one too many head blows from brown leather laced and mouldmaster footballs :) 

8 hours ago, Maverick11 said:

Like the idea of 16 team league with 8/8 split. 

I take the point on 1 less old form game but sure that would be made up for by the fact that there would be significantly more derby fixtures in the league (or at least the prospect of).

If you took this seasons 12 plus 4 from champ you’d have:

Dundee v Dundee Utd

Inverness v Ross County

Killie v Ayr 

You may not make up for the viewing figures but would be better for selling the product in the long term I think

Agree, like the idea of top two leagues of 16 and then 2 regional leagues below that with some of the big east and west junior teams joining the league structure.