14 team league

KFC_Macca

1 hour ago, Killiepies said:

Well how are they going to get round the 11-1 vote needed for reconstruction.Septic will definitely vote against any reconstruction and now the Sheep have said they will vote for it Sevco will now vote against .What would be our voting intentions ?

If no financial changes (say 13th/ 14th in new setup get same as 1st/ 2nd in championship just now) then it only needs a 75% vote , so needs 9 clubs to agree to pass for 14 team league next year. They mentioned this today on sportsound 

Edited by Flood

need to shake it up as current format is bored and tyred, expansion & play home & away, dont pander to four glasgow derbies, plus hearts need to either be relegated or heavily fined and a large points deduction if they stay in league if not more football played this season

I like the 12, it seems to work and most seasons have interest for top six, Europe and relegation/playoffs.

I do like the idea of a couple more teams for variety, but you then massively increase that middle of the league dead zone where you have nothing to play for for months. 

Funny as it is, I can't help but put myself in Hearts shoes - I'd want at least one season of 14 if it was Killie. Even more so for Partick. I think there's a decent argument for doing that. 

5 hours ago, baz said:

You could put money on it now that the suggestion will be a 14 team league for a season or two. I don't agree with the way they've ended this, should have been either finished or void in my opinion. Everything will be based around the TV deal and saving Hearts.

Agreed. The whole thing is morally corrupt. 

6 hours ago, Flood said:

If no financial changes (say 13th/ 14th in new setup get same as 1st/ 2nd in championship just now) then it only needs a 75% vote , so needs 9 clubs to agree to pass for 14 team league next year. They mentioned this today on sportsound 

The division of money changed when the the SPFL was formed... there are set amounts for finishing in places 1 - 42.  13th place at the moment is Championship winners but would be play-off position of a 14team Premiership.

23 minutes ago, stewarty66 said:

Whilst reconstruction is being discussed Mrs Budge ,can we also take into consideration admission prices for away fans at certain grounds?

Tynecastle being one of them.

Its time to address the imbalance away fans suffer in pricing.

She’s there to preserve Hearts not damage them. They will probably up admission prices if reconstruction loses home games against the OF and an Edinburgh derby.

1 hour ago, Stefanus said:

We’ve been conditioned to think competition for European places or relegation fights has only happened since the top 6/bottom6 split was introduced. 

A top division of 18 will still have European places to fight for, or relegation to avoid. You could even introduce play offs for a European place or the last relegation slot which I think happens in some countries (Netherlands?). 
Don’t agree with the notion  that you create a massive dead zone in the middle. We’re football fans-there’s always something to play for. You want your team to finish as high as possible, break your record points total,(ie Killie in SC’s first season) have an unbeaten run, your striker to finish top scorer, fewest goals conceded etc etc. It’s not possible to have something major at stake for every round of fixtures for a full season. How do all those leagues in Europe cope with 20 team divisions and the ‘massive dead zones’? 
34 league games, playing each other once home and away seems about right to me. 

They did produce meaningless games, or end of season games as they were called. Doesn't really matter either way, they're not going to vote for an eighteen team league. You've as much chance of getting a straight answer from a politician, as getting an eighteen team league. 

1 hour ago, Stefanus said:

We’ve been conditioned to think competition for European places or relegation fights has only happened since the top 6/bottom6 split was introduced. 

A top division of 18 will still have European places to fight for, or relegation to avoid. You could even introduce play offs for a European place or the last relegation slot which I think happens in some countries (Netherlands?). 
Don’t agree with the notion  that you create a massive dead zone in the middle. We’re football fans-there’s always something to play for. You want your team to finish as high as possible, break your record points total,(ie Killie in SC’s first season) have an unbeaten run, your striker to finish top scorer, fewest goals conceded etc etc. It’s not possible to have something major at stake for every round of fixtures for a full season. How do all those leagues in Europe cope with 20 team divisions and the ‘massive dead zones’? 
34 league games, playing each other once home and away seems about right to me. 

I don't disagree with a lot of that - but I do think there is more risk of nothing being at stake from much earlier. 

As you say, the answer to that is more playoffs, which I would be all for and the clubs will absolutely not vote for. 

I think the issue of games meaning little at the end of the season is lessened in the big leagues by the fact that there's always going to be interest in playing Liverpool, Barcelona etc in a way that we largely do not feel about playing the old firm. And the fact that they have three teams going down. 

Edited by mitch14

Is the meaningless games argument not another way of saying that only games involving the Old Firm matter? What about the seasons where the league has been won by February? Are the rest of the games for that team not meaningless? 

Giving teams games at the end of the season where the pressure is off would possibly allow young players to be introduced. 

There is not a league format in the world that will not produce games which you are calling "meaningless". All the split does is bring the conclusion of the season sooner to some teams. I'd argue that no game is meaningless to a fan of the team that are playing, we watch the football regardless of what is or is not at stake. There have been times when I'd have given my eye teeth to play five games at the end of the season with nothing to worry about and get the chance to see some of the squad players given a chance.

33 minutes ago, killiead78 said:

Is the meaningless games argument not another way of saying that only games involving the Old Firm matter? What about the seasons where the league has been won by February? Are the rest of the games for that team not meaningless? 

Giving teams games at the end of the season where the pressure is off would possibly allow young players to be introduced. 

I don't give a damn about Celtic and Sevco (there is no Old firm), I just remember sitting in the sun and sheltering from the rain watching utterly meaningless end of season games where nobody could affect European qualifying or relegation. A sixteen team top league is the maximum Scotland can support with our population. Norway have a similar sized population as us and they have two leagues of sixteen. This is all a moot point anyway, Celtic and Sevco will vote down any league proposal which has more than fourteen teams in it. 

6th, 7th & 8th in present set up regularly have “little to play for” after the split. Apart from prize money, pride, win bonuses, the development of young players, prep for next season. If we went to 16 teams or more there’s not many more teams would see themselves in a similar position. 

Any reconstruction should be on the basis it’s implemented at the end of next season and not to suit certain clubs due to the brown stuff they find themselves in caused by piss poor performance this season. 

39 minutes ago, Prahakillie said:

When we had bigger leagues there was still only 2 points for a win. 

That’s true, but every team has three points for a win. Teams are mid-table because they are inconsistent, unlikely that they will shoot upwards or plummet down. Not good enough to win consistently, not bad enough to lose consistently. Not going to happen though. 

On 4/18/2020 at 5:38 PM, baz said:

You could put money on it now that the suggestion will be a 14 team league for a season or two. I don't agree with the way they've ended this, should have been either finished or void in my opinion. Everything will be based around the TV deal and saving Hearts.

Your right , hearts shouldn’t be relegated , neither should Patrick or Stranraer mind you funny how Brechin weren’t relegated , anyway as I predicted the full thing is a farce , f innish the season whenever is possible it saves all this nonsense , the biggest laugh now is that Ann budge , a clueless Craig levin lover - is running the let’s have a bigger league fiasco —— Scottish football eh , mind you I hear UEFA on Thursday are going to demand ALL leagues have to complete ALL fixtures 

5 minutes ago, DrewWylie said:

Scottish football eh , mind you I hear UEFA on Thursday are going to demand ALL leagues have to complete ALL fixtures 

In all seriousness, what happens if both teams don't turn up for a fixture?  Usually it's a 3-0 walkover if one team can't fulfil it.

58 minutes ago, DrewWylie said:

Your right , hearts shouldn’t be relegated , neither should Patrick or Stranraer mind you funny how Brechin weren’t relegated , anyway as I predicted the full thing is a farce , f innish the season whenever is possible it saves all this nonsense , the biggest laugh now is that Ann budge , a clueless Craig levin lover - is running the let’s have a bigger league fiasco —— Scottish football eh , mind you I hear UEFA on Thursday are going to demand ALL leagues have to complete ALL fixtures 

So many trotting out the Brechin line - bottom of L2 is not automatic relegation like the other examples.