14 team league

KFC_Macca

12 minutes ago, dasboag said:

An 18 and a 24 would do me - no split, no nonsense - its good enough for 99% of leagues around the world so why do we think were any better?

Spain have some absolute sh!te in their top league and we don't hear folk complaining about that 

Bin the league cup

Revisit the Scottish Cup to create a season-long tournament with a groups at the start - but with everyone in it - lets get some variation in who we play each year and get some guaranteed income for smaller teams.  After a first round though, straight knockout for several rounds to the final.

I'm all for a bigger top league but am absolutely opposed to binning the league cup. You're then reducing the opportunity for smaller clubs to have some success.

Edit...Bonbon beat me to it :D

Edited by Fankle

I really don't get the meaningless fixtures thing. I can't remember many Killie games where I wasn't bothered if we won or lost. And other teams games are generally meaningless to me unless the result effects us. 

As for Sevco and their good of the game chat if they got a sniff of moving to England or a Euro League you wouldn't see them for dust and never mind the consequences for everybody else. Stick colt teams where the sun doesn't shine.

3 hours ago, killiead78 said:

I really don't get the meaningless fixtures thing. I can't remember many Killie games where I wasn't bothered if we won or lost. 

There's truth in this that the meaningless game idea might be a bit overstated - but I can think of plenty of meaningless Killie games which have been utterly dire. Always a bit of interest in seeing young guys/fringe players get a chance but you immediately lose a spark from football when both sides know there's little at stake. 

The six/eight split idea does concern me on that front. The money that Aberdeen and Hibs have, especially as I suspect they are about to hoover up players that others can't move for, means there's likely realistically only two spots in that top six up for grabs.

It's not at all unlikely, I reckon, that you could end up a) knowing you are going to be in that bottom half before the split but also b) having teams cut adrift at the bottom so you know you aren't going down. 

Five /six games where six teams were fighting it out for 8-12th would be really tedious. 

But who knows - that setup might always through up more interest. If we were going that way I think adding another automatic relegation spot and keeping the playoff would be fun - but teams would never sign up for that. 

Edited by mitch14

What a shambles the game in Scotland is. We have finished last season weeks ago and we still don’t know what the league set up will be next season. 
Every day we seem to see a new proposal from Hearts, Sevco etc which are always driven by self interest. 
The season was called, we know who is going down and who is coming up so we should just get on with it. If the season had been played to its normal conclusion there wouldn’t have been any of these discussions. 
It’s ridiculous to be asking fans to buy season tickets when they don’t even know what they are getting for their money. 

Edited by historyman

I like how Celtic, Sevco, and some other clubs are saying that their season-ticket holders will get closed doors games on their TV channels for free. Presumably they don't take into account that their fans have already paid for these games through their season-ticket money. 

Looks like the Jambos could have a legal case for a return to the top league. France's highest administrative court has rejected an appeal from Lyon against ending Ligue 1 early, but ruled relegation for Amiens and Toulouse would be suspended. Given two teams have been promoted from Ligue 2, the Council of the State also ordered the LFP to review it's championship for the next season. This could ultimately lead to a 22 team league for the 2020-21 campaign. 

Looks like they are proposing a permanent 14-10-10-10 setup, can see this getting enough support to get through. Other than the fact it is still repetition there is only avoiding relegation to play for for the bottom eight after the split. Having a playoff between 7th and 4th for the last European spot would give some interest for clubs not in relegation danger in the bottom eight. This might not be looked upon favourably just now but if more Scottish clubs qualify for the European Conference League in 2021, a 7th versus 5th or 6th for a final European place would add more spice the bottom eight post split. I think we have to accept that as long as Sky are the broadcaster a top league of sixteen or more isn't going to happen. 

8 minutes ago, Wrangodog said:

Having a playoff between 7th and 4th for the last European spot would give some interest for clubs not in relegation danger in the bottom eight. This might not be looked upon favourably just now but if more Scottish clubs qualify for the European Conference League in 2021, a 7th versus 5th or 6th for a final European place would add more spice the bottom eight post split.

Think this will all be down to how the coefficient looks next year.

10 hours ago, Pride_of_ayrshire said:

Think this will all be down to how the coefficient looks next year.

Well this is the diddy Challenge Cup of European competition so there might be one or two more. It's only an idea to bring some interest to the top of the bottom eight other than just relegation. 

I think 14-10-10-10 is what we might end up with but it has never been more obvious that the single most important objective in all these weeks of endless talks has been to avoiding relegating Hearts.  
I saw the St Johnstone chairman suggested 5 leagues. What planet is he on?

Edited by historyman

So far they have tried various proposals all were voted down or lacked any real backing from majority of clubs 

They really now need to put a deadline on all this one way or another and move on when that deadline is reached which should be ASAP 

.....when is a final proposal ever going to mean just that ....

Only in this country would we even be discussing league reconstruction mid pandemic.

There is no chance all clubs will survive this, i'd say top league of 12 and 2 leagues below made up of the rest who survive.

Leave any reconstruction talks until we see what the damage is.

2 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Only in this country would we even be discussing league reconstruction mid pandemic.

There is no chance all clubs will survive this, i'd say top league of 12 and 2 leagues below made up of the rest who survive.

Leave any reconstruction talks until we see what the damage is.

The problem with that is, it doesn't save hearts. Which is what this is all about.

1 hour ago, Clunk said:

So what happens if covid comes back next year and hearts ar bottom  again will there b no relegation  again  theres winners  and losers  hearts have to go down its maybe not fair but we have to move on 

We can't move on till Hearts stay up. Looks like this will be going ahead going by Doncaster's remarks today. Don't forget they are a Big Team, with a Big Support and a great stadium and we can look forward to 4 Edinburgh derbies according to most of the pundits. If I see a photo of A Budge again I think I will throw up. Totally sick of this now. Get them down and lets get on with it!

Find the Hearts fascination quite weird. 

What would you want to happen if it was us? This place would be red with rage. 

Is it fair on Thistle with a game in hand? Is it fair on the teams that would likely have beaten Brechin? Is it fair on Falkirk to get marooned in a league that won't play? 

A proposal that minimises the unfairness to all those clubs, keeps the leagues playing and makes out league bigger (which most fans seem to want?) seems like a good outcome to some unprecedented circumstances to me. 

Definitely more noise because it's hearts, but it doesn't mean they are wrong. 

29 minutes ago, mitch14 said:

Find the Hearts fascination quite weird. 

What would you want to happen if it was us? This place would be red with rage. 

Is it fair on Thistle with a game in hand? Is it fair on the teams that would likely have beaten Brechin? Is it fair on Falkirk to get marooned in a league that won't play? 

A proposal that minimises the unfairness to all those clubs, keeps the leagues playing and makes out league bigger (which most fans seem to want?) seems like a good outcome to some unprecedented circumstances to me. 

Definitely more noise because it's hearts, but it doesn't mean they are wrong. 

Did the  clubs not vote to end league