Jump to content
KFC_Macca

14 team league

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, RAG said:

Nobody gets relegated in American sports either. Its a trade off. Most of the final day action in football, is at the bottom of the table.  Best American sides dont have first pick of all the best young players, the draft counts for a lot in levelling out the leagues over there, worst teams are guaranteed first picks on best new players.  Would be interesting to see how that worked in European football. 

It is strange how one of the most capitalist and inequal countries in the world can be so communist and all for equality when it comes to sports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, RAG said:

Nobody gets relegated in American sports either. Its a trade off. Most of the final day action in football, is at the bottom of the table.  Best American sides dont have first pick of all the best young players, the draft counts for a lot in levelling out the leagues over there, worst teams are guaranteed first picks on best new players.  Would be interesting to see how that worked in European football. 

I don’t understand how that works. 

Is a player basically forced to join a team that he doesn’t want to join if they pick him? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Wrangodog said:

I get the feeling there's going to be a lot of pressure on clubs to accept this deal. Doncaster talking about clubs in the lower divisions being expelled from the league for not fulfilling their fixtures. He also mentions that the rules can't be changed, but surely if the rules can be changed for a new set-up they can be changed for extraordinary circumstances like the present one, to protect the clubs that can't afford to play behind closed doors. I would like to see more detail about what the alternatives are but it's the Daily Beano so facts are in short supply. 

As much as I hate Sevco we should have taken the opportunity to get rid of this chancer Doncaster. 

I don’t see how reconstructing the leagues will make anything better. 

Doncaster simply cannot be arsed with the lawsuit that’s coming his way from Hearts if reconstruction fails. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KillieNo1 said:

I don’t understand how that works. 

Is a player basically forced to join a team that he doesn’t want to join if they pick him? 

Coming out of college you enter a draft system, the worst team has first pick and so forth. You can refuse to sign a contract with them but essentially they hold your registration till someone meets their demands.

Typically some of the best teams have emerged due to picking a talented kid in the draft, ie Michael Jordan was selected by Chicago when they were amongst the worst in the country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Wee_Eck1979 said:

Coming out of college you enter a draft system, the worst team has first pick and so forth. You can refuse to sign a contract with them but essentially they hold your registration till someone meets their demands.

Typically some of the best teams have emerged due to picking a talented kid in the draft, ie Michael Jordan was selected by Chicago when they were amongst the worst in the country.

They're allowed to 'trade' picks too.  If a 'big' team is dead set on one player, they can trade their other draft slots for who they want - as long as the team with 'first dibs' agrees to it.  So it's not always the case the 'best' young player will actually end up in the 'worst' team.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, which universities are going to take all the 18 year old footballers who left school at 16 with a couple of Standard Grades (or whatever they are called these days)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Wee_Eck1979 said:

Coming out of college you enter a draft system, the worst team has first pick and so forth. You can refuse to sign a contract with them but essentially they hold your registration till someone meets their demands.

Typically some of the best teams have emerged due to picking a talented kid in the draft, ie Michael Jordan was selected by Chicago when they were amongst the worst in the country.

I followed American football when the Redskins and Riggins ruled the roost so my knowledge isn’t current :) 

The problem as I see it wrt the draft system operating here would be the wages and facilities that the bottom team eg Hamilton could offer the best player from any academy .I don’t know how you’d get round that ,  I know it’s a simplistic look at something that would require a sea change in how we develop football in this country but imo it wouldn’t work in this country . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could see a draft scheme working but the whole set-up for young players would need to change.

I wouldn't have anyone in an academy until 16 when they can be drafted - up until then players play for local boys clubs/schools and the draft would be based on performances for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Jimmy Superscot said:

So, which universities are going to take all the 18 year old footballers who left school at 16 with a couple of Standard Grades (or whatever they are called these days)?

They won't here. In America those universities will pay a players way through uni and make sure they get a degree just to have them in their team regardless of academics. 

It pays for itself though. A good uni team will get bigger crowds than most of the SPFL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, livvy said:

A good uni team will get bigger crowds than most of the SPFL.

(Assuming you're talking about American Football) Top tier NCAA teams get 42,000 on average. 5 of the top teams average over 100,000 per game.

3rd tier teams average about 2,000.

This is the biggest SECONDARY SCHOOL stadium in the country. America is weird.

allen-eagle-stadium.jpg.d846943a3bbc052dab6a406afb95cc25.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lroy said:

(Assuming you're talking about American Football) Top tier NCAA teams get 42,000 on average. 5 of the top teams average over 100,000 per game.

3rd tier teams average about 2,000.

This is the biggest SECONDARY SCHOOL stadium in the country. America is weird.

allen-eagle-stadium.jpg.d846943a3bbc052dab6a406afb95cc25.jpg

Yes, when I visited a cousin at University of Tennessee in the 70s, he showed me their 105,000 capacity all seater stadium. I asked did they ever fill it and he said yes for every game!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And this is why it's worth a universities time to take in good players and fund their studies. In reality they will spend their time as full time athletes until they enter the draft after their last year. 

The standard at universities and even some high schools is insane too. A player could be world class by 18 in many sports and still playing for their high school or university until they reach 21.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 10:10 AM, Killiepies said:

No chance of any reconstruction .Why would teams vote to dilute the money even more ? Any TV deal would demand 4 infirm games ,without that any deal would be a pittance .This country is actually to small to support all the senior teams .Should be 2 leagues of 10 and the rest in some sort of pyrimid system .That would be more in line with a country of 5 .5 million .Better share of the TV/sponsorship money between the leagues would also help .Remember Aberdeen and Dundee Utd both won the league when it was 10 teams and reached European finals 

10 team leagues are dull as dishwater.

Our current setup is dull and dropping 2 teams will not improve that one bit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, livvy said:

They won't here. In America those universities will pay a players way through uni and make sure they get a degree just to have them in their team regardless of academics. 

It pays for itself though. A good uni team will get bigger crowds than most of the SPFL.

Many will get bigger crowds than just about any football team in Europe. Reasons?

1. There are only 32 senior teams (NFL) for a population of 330 million. We have 42 for a population of 5 million

2. Many American football fans have to travel hundreds of miles just to get to their “local” NFL team, assuming that they can get tickets.

3. College teams therefore become fans’ local teams even though they have no affiliation to the college, and, as Leroy says above, even some High School teams get massive crowds for the same reason.

4. There is wide TV coverage of college football (and even high school football in some areas), which breeds interest, although no doubt it’s existing popularity led to that.

It does seem weird, but there is some logic.

Sadly a draft system would never take off in a league where there is a huge imbalance like Scotland. As someone said above, how could Accies pay the top draft pick a salary that would match the 12th draft pick who would be Celtic’s pick? All NFL teams come from major cities, except Green Bay which only has a population of around 100,000 and they are always held up as a phenomenon, so they all have a potentially huge fanbase.

Extraordinarily, when a “franchise” ups sticks and moves to another part of the country, they still seem to get big crowds. But crowds aren’t a very big part of the deal as the TV money is massive which is why the franchises are huge businesses in their own right.... and that is actually where we could learn something because I believe that the TV money is evenly distributed amongst all the teams, regardless of where they finish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if this has been mentioned before about this reorganisation. The season after next when it reverts to 12-10-10-10 

 

(taken from pie and bovril)

 

“For her plan to go through, in the 21/22 season you would be doing the following:

Relegate 3 Premier league sides to get back to 12. 3 down 1 up. 

Have teams fighting it out for 1 promotion spot in a 14 team championship. 

Relegate 7 teams from the same 14 team championship. 

Have teams vying for 1 promotion spot from the 14 team league 1.

Relegate 10 teams from the 14 team league 1.

So in a best case scenario (not even including possible playoffs which could lead to more promotion and relegation) that would mean in 2021/22, you'll have a situation where 2 teams across Scottish football (not including HL/LL) will be promoted and at least 20 out of 42 teams across the board are going to be relegated. 

 

All to save hearts ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hearts look to be trying to buy there way out of relegation with Budge arranging James Anderson a philanthropist who she has contacted to put money into the Scottish game. Her knees must be getting sore all the grovelling she is doing to save them. Hope we and others are not bribed by their antics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't forgiven Hearts for taking Taouil and Hammil (I know he wasn't great when he came back!) and funding their offers by the simple expedient of not paying them. 

Been something iffy about them ever since and we certainly don't owe them any favours. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For once Keith Jackson in the Record has got it right. The offer should only be accepted as long as Hearts are relegated, if they aren't going to be relegated then it is a bribe. If Anderson provides money so that Hearts have sufficient opponents capable of playing behind closed doors in the Championship then that is fair enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2020 at 10:22 AM, Flood said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned before about this reorganisation. The season after next when it reverts to 12-10-10-10 

 

(taken from pie and bovril)

 

“For her plan to go through, in the 21/22 season you would be doing the following:

Relegate 3 Premier league sides to get back to 12. 3 down 1 up. 

Have teams fighting it out for 1 promotion spot in a 14 team championship. 

Relegate 7 teams from the same 14 team championship. 

Have teams vying for 1 promotion spot from the 14 team league 1.

Relegate 10 teams from the 14 team league 1.

So in a best case scenario (not even including possible playoffs which could lead to more promotion and relegation) that would mean in 2021/22, you'll have a situation where 2 teams across Scottish football (not including HL/LL) will be promoted and at least 20 out of 42 teams across the board are going to be relegated. 

 

All to save hearts …

As well as the old filth, and Aberdeen they are now up there as one of my hated teams. They really think they are above the rest of us, except they are s***e !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If she can get a big cash injection into the game it makes you wonder  :

1. If she could get this cash for the good of the whole of Scottish football why didn't she do it before? Why wait until Hearts got telegated?

2. If she can find an investor or philanthropist that easily why can't Doncaster and his cronies do something useful like that for once rather than talk about doom and gloom and forthcoming disaster for the Scottish game and then accept yet another crappy deal from sky? 

Edited by historyman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Big cash injection ? The Scottish Daily Mail mentions £2m, which is a fair sum of money but peanuts to someone who is supposed to be a multi-billionaire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Wrangodog said:

Big cash injection ? The Scottish Daily Mail mentions £2m, which is a fair sum of money but peanuts to someone who is supposed to be a multi-billionaire.

To be fair being worth billions doesn't necessarily mean that it's all disposable cash. A lot of it will be assets/properties, shares etc that are money on paper. We can't sniff at any donation especially if it is no strings attached as it's been reported. £48000 to each club if it was divided equally. Doubt it would be tho, probably staggered based on leagues.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


The Killie Trust

KFC Supporters Association

Young Kilmarnock

FC Kilmarnock

Kilmarnock FC (Official)

×