Economic impact of Coronavirus

Killiepies

2 hours ago, Zorro said:

What is CircoTherm?

CircoTherm is Neff’s patented fan technology that you won’t find on any other oven. CircoTherm works by drawing air in from the oven via a powerful stainless steel fan. It then heats up the air and forces it right back into the oven cavity through strategically placed ducts in the rear wall.

The desired temperature is achieved quicker and more evenly than in a conventional oven, saving time and energy as little or no pre-heating is required. The hot air is also focused directly onto the food being cooked, wrapping the shelves to ensure the surfaces of baked and roasted items seal quickly. This keeps moisture in and prevents flavour transfer, so you can cook an entire three-course meal using all levels of the oven at the same time.

You’ll find CircoTherm on all of Neff’s ovens.

Looks like you cheese on toast deniers are being economical with the truth. Perhaps you should read up on how your oven works or if you’re not ready for the 21st century, ask your wives. 

Instruction sheets are optional for all men imo . Like RAG has indicated all white goods are over complicated .

For cheese management you only need a switch that has 2 settings , Off and Roast 

5 hours ago, RAG said:

It's got 9 different settings man and that's just on the bottom cavity.  If you think that's unnecessarily complicated, you should see the instructions for my induction hob.  Whatever you do, don't get an induction hob - get even the slightest drop of water on that and the alarm goes off like you've just cleared the perimeter wall in Alcatraz! I don't even have the excuse of having a live in wife  - I need to know where the start button is on the washing machine as a result!

Let’s leave your bottom cavity out of this mate. We need to maintain some boundaries. 

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like there will be a lot more claims for universal credit come June .Furlough to be phased out ,costing to much they say .Just what are people going to do who are employed in the travel industry ,leisure and even football players.I suppose they can go and pick fruit for a month or two .Unemployment is about to go through the roof along with all the ills that go with it .Next will be wage cuts and a rise in zero hours contracts .If you don't like it there's the door ,plenty out there looking for work will be the attitude of many company's 

Folk moaning about the economic situation and the Tories whi also voted No in 2014 and/or Leave in 2016 and for a unionist party in any of the last three elections literally THIS IS WHAT YOU VOTED FOR.

YOU allowed them to get in, you put us in this situation and allowed them to carry out an ethnic cleansing based on their ideology. And they've now kickstarter trade talks with His wigwearing dettol injecting orangeness himself.

So you now have a choice keep doing what you've always done and allowing these vermin to control your world, OR boot them into orbit and get Scotland out of this unequal.union and allow us to set our own direction.

Edited by Beaker71

6 hours ago, Beaker71 said:

Folk moaning about the economic situation and the Tories whi also voted No in 2014 and/or Leave in 2016 and for a unionist party in any of the last three elections literally THIS IS WHAT YOU VOTED FOR.

YOU allowed them to get in, you put us in this situation and allowed them to carry out an ethnic cleansing based on their ideology. And they've now kickstarter trade talks with His wigwearing dettol injecting orangeness himself.

So you now have a choice keep doing what you've always done and allowing these vermin to control your world, OR boot them into orbit and get Scotland out of this unequal.union and allow us to set our own direction.

Fair comment, Independence is currently looking more attractive with every passing day.

16 hours ago, Killiepies said:

It looks like there will be a lot more claims for universal credit come June .Furlough to be phased out ,costing to much they say .Just what are people going to do who are employed in the travel industry ,leisure and even football players.I suppose they can go and pick fruit for a month or two .Unemployment is about to go through the roof along with all the ills that go with it .Next will be wage cuts and a rise in zero hours contracts .If you don't like it there's the door ,plenty out there looking for work will be the attitude of many company's 

How much risk are you prepared to take?

The disease can kill you, and there's nothing worse than death, the ultimate lockdown! We have circa 50,000 people dead already.

But folk keep banging on about the ills of unemployment, universal credit, don't have a pay cheque and the bills keep coming, causing stress & anxiety. So what is the flip-side of bringing down the spread of this virus by doing what we're doing?

We just want to abort that, we want to go out, we want to do what we want to do, we want to go to work or get loaded. But a lot of jobs can't be done while you're physically distancing, anyone figured out those yet? You can infect yourself if you want but you could infect someone else in your family and kill them. Sounds dramatic but that's what's happening and bad decisions will cost real lives.

Death of a business may be more likely than getting infected, but who wants to take the chance? Real death means you're dead. Economic death can be turned around and the economy can be figured out.

If you don't have your health you have nothing and death is and will always be the ultimate problem we can't fix.

Edited by Scooter

8 hours ago, Scooter said:

Real death means you're dead. Economic death can be turned around and the economy can be figured out.

If you don't have your health you have nothing and death is and will always be the ultimate problem we can't fix.

I agree totally that if you're dead, its "game over". There is no way back and there are no 2nd chances. However I am a bit concerned by how easily you dismiss the danger of "economic death". With poverty comes increased exposure to many, many other very serious threats. Mental health problems, poor diet, eventually starvation and in many, many cases in countries we like to ignore, death again.

So I don't know what the answer is and neither does the President of the US but living like this indefinitely is not it. So we need somebody with a plan. South Korea seems like the best show in town right now. It may well not fit in with the British mindset but it's somewhere to start.  

1 hour ago, gdevoy said:

I agree totally that if you're dead, its "game over". There is no way back and there are no 2nd chances. However I am a bit concerned by how easily you dismiss the danger of "economic death". With poverty comes increased exposure to many, many other very serious threats. Mental health problems, poor diet, eventually starvation and in many, many cases in countries we like to ignore, death again.

I'm not dismissing it, I said it may be more likely, but these other problems can have solutions or be eased with the correct political decisions. Death has no solution, unless your name is Lazarus.

Folk aren't scared because you can't see the virus, the deaths aren't dramatic but they're still happening; 'ach, it's just a few old folk in care homes'. Imagine if a jumbo jet or two were crashing every day, would that focus people's minds a bit more?

Employers have a duty of care so there's a lot to work out yet. And a lot of businesses on every high street are close contact service jobs on low wages, are these workers to take the risk? 

Are you gonna take the risk of exposing yourself or taking it home to your family?

Edited by Scooter

I don’t know if it applies as much these days, but a saying used to be that, “When America sneezes, the rest of the world catches a cold”. 

The modern day equivalent would be the US committing suicide by virus. 

It’s all very well for Trump to be keen to reopen the economy but what will happen when the number of infections and deaths amongst the workforce closes it down again? 

Their death toll is rising fast and that is before major reopening. 

Is the rest of the world still as vulnerable to economic recession/ depression in the US? 

Probably not as much as it was but for the UK, which has placed so much post-Brexit faith in a trade deal with with the US, it wouldn’t be good.

2 hours ago, skygod said:

Their death toll is rising fast and that is before major reopening. 

Apparently The Trumpet said they had to be prepared for the sacrifice of a few deaths to protect the economy. Reminds me of a Carter Burke line from Aliens...........

Burke : There were problems and a-a few deaths were involved.

Yes, that line had already been used here... and these people walk amongst us! o.O

On 4/18/2020 at 8:45 AM, Killiepies said:

Other countries are talking of schools returning and a relaxation on work place rules and with no vaccine in sight some will make the ultimate sacrifice.The cure can't be worse than the virus itself and high unemployment with all the health issues it brings might be worse long term

Been announced that the Furlough Scheme is being extended till October.

So why are folk being guilt tripped into feeling they have to risk their lives working everyday in unsafe conditions with no extra benefit, when the system was set up to help folk who can't work from home?

This has been a lifeline for workers and businesses and pulling it away when the virus is still very present would have been dangerous and wrong. And the government can afford it, there's absolutely no good reason to restrict furlough scheme payments as Government borrowing costs are at the lowest rates ever.

Tellin' ye though, my electricity bill is gonna be through the roof keeping the hot tub going all summer! B|

I think the govt is doing the right thing in this instance ,it’s giving due notice to both workers and employers that there isn’t a bottomless pit despite low borrowing costs . I know quite a few furloughed workers and they’re all without fail desperate to get back to work , as long as it’s safe to do so . 

As soon as all these furloughed workers are back at work, I’ll have six months off on full sick pay, compliments of the taxpayer, to compensate me for my efforts. Btw anyone know any companies doing discounts or free hot tubs for nhs workers? 

30 minutes ago, DrewWylie said:

Wee burnie wont be long in getting the Scottish back to work when Westminster tells her no more money for furlough coming from them 

There’s no way I’m willing to wait until October for my sick leave. I’d need to buy a patio heater for when I get out of the hot tub too. 

39 minutes ago, DrewWylie said:

Wee burnie wont be long in getting the Scottish back to work when Westminster tells her no more money for furlough coming from them 

This is what they meant by 'best of both worlds', eh? The English go to work while we still get paid sitting in our hot tubs, with a bottle of Havana on the side, waiting like coiled springs to jump back into the breach when the virus has disappated and they're all off sick wae the 'corona sniffles'. Sounds fair! :)

51 minutes ago, Zorro said:

There’s no way I’m willing to wait until October for my sick leave. I’d need to buy a patio heater for when I get out of the hot tub too. 

That’s pathetic from you Zorro.

You should have under-tile heating at least. Patio heaters are for outside All Bar One.

1 hour ago, DrewWylie said:

Away and play wi yerself.  You dont half talk absolite s**te literally ALL the time.

The amount of disrespect and self loathing one sentence displays is beyond belief.

51 minutes ago, Scooby_Doo said:

That’s pathetic from you Zorro.

You should have under-tile heating at least. Patio heaters are for outside All Bar One.

And pray tell where is one expected to source some navvies to work on such a construction project in the midst of a lockdown? I saw the patio heaters as a temporary solution. During a pandemic we all have to make sacrifices.