Economic impact of Coronavirus

Killiepies

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/may/19/uk-jobless-april-coronavirus-crisis-unemployment-benefits

Unemployment now over 2 million and that is only the start of it .I think many more will lose there jobs before this ends .Watch wages drop and zero hours contracts rise while company directors still take lavish salarys and dodge tax .Hopefully it might be a quick recovery but wages and conditions won't recover .

25 minutes ago, Killiepies said:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2020/may/19/uk-jobless-april-coronavirus-crisis-unemployment-benefits

Unemployment now over 2 million and that is only the start of it .I think many more will lose there jobs before this ends .Watch wages drop and zero hours contracts rise while company directors still take lavish salarys and dodge tax .Hopefully it might be a quick recovery but wages and conditions won't recover .

You wanted Brexit so it's only an early start of the inevitable. 9_9

1 hour ago, Zorro said:

I’d be interested to hear which powers the Scottish government could’ve used to prevent U.K. citizens, from the other devolved nations, from entering Scotland. I’d be interested to hear which powers they could’ve used to stop flights coming into Scotland. I’d be delighted if you could explain which powers they could’ve used to  get more test kits after the U.K. government took control of the supply. 

Apparently wee Nicky doesn't even have the powers to cancel a football calendar unless she get permission from the nation, they skweam and skweam and skweam until they are sick! And they can9_9

1 hour ago, Killiepies said:

Hopefully it might be a quick recovery but wages and conditions won't recover .

I don't think there will be any sort of quick recovery. It could take 5 years to get back to where we were two moths ago.

As for wages and conditions that tends to be more dependant on the political culture of the country rather than it's prosperity. Take the US for example. Probably the richest country in the world but there are areas of Fort Worth in Texas I have driven through with worse looking housing conditions than Pilton in Edinburgh. Plus the people have no access to medical help.

The idea that everybody's welfare improves together is a delusion first pedalled by Thatcher to justify her slash and burn approach to welfare and employment rights.

"What's good for the market is good for everybody". A phrase first coned by Joseph Heller for his psychotic entrepreneur in Catch 22.

1 hour ago, gdevoy said:

I don't think there will be any sort of quick recovery. It could take 5 years to get back to where we were two moths ago.

As for wages and conditions that tends to be more dependant on the political culture of the country rather than it's prosperity. Take the US for example. Probably the richest country in the world but there are areas of Fort Worth in Texas I have driven through with worse looking housing conditions than Pilton in Edinburgh. Plus the people have no access to medical help.

The idea that everybody's welfare improves together is a delusion first pedalled by Thatcher to justify her slash and burn approach to welfare and employment rights.

"What's good for the market is good for everybody". A phrase first coned by Joseph Heller for his psychotic entrepreneur in Catch 22.

The US is the most unequal country on the planet people with 39ft swimming pools in their gardens, which sit next to a run down shack which a family live in.

A f**ked up nation with a warped sense of politics and a live of money which is obscene.

4 hours ago, Zorro said:

I’d be interested to hear which powers the Scottish government could’ve used to prevent U.K. citizens, from the other devolved nations, from entering Scotland. I’d be interested to hear which powers they could’ve used to stop flights coming into Scotland. I’d be delighted if you could explain which powers they could’ve used to  get more test kits after the U.K. government took control of the supply. 

On the same day the first case was confirmed in Scotland, Boris used prime time tv to tell the entire U.K. that singing happy birthday twice, while washing our hands was going to keep us all safe. He was merrily shaking hands with patients in English hospitals. Imagine the outcry from unionists if Nicola Sturgeon had went on tv and said don’t listen to that Buffon, his advice is going to lead to tens of thousands of needless deaths. It was only a few days ago that unionists we’re getting their knickers in a twist that Scotland wasn’t easing the lockdown precautions in line with England. Political point scoring was the phrase used. How are they going to pay to keep workers furloughed was the cry. Now imagine “Wee Nicola” at the border telling the bold Prince Charles that he and his entourage weren’t welcome. The British press would’ve ripped her to shreds.  

I’ve no idea what powers Holyrood have to prevent people entering Scotland nor how they could’ve got more test kits but the fact remains had Sturgeon reacted to a credible warning of a health crisis quicker  there would have been less deaths . What happens in the rest of the U.K. is irrelevant she is in charge of healthcare in Scotland .  She could have chosen to alert the public to this coming crisis by any number of means . It would have been up to the public to assess if her actions were warranted , which had she chosen to do , possibly with or without WM approval , would only have resulted in the enhancement of her reputation IMO . It would have been a low risk strategy for her . 
As for Sturgeon being pilloried in the press , she’s used to it , I’m sure she’s thick skinned enough and politically aware enough to cope with that , she’s done it on a number of occasions , Neil and Morgan spring to mind , and from what I’ve seen she can handle herself .As Sturgeon herself said today she should have perhaps “ reflected more “ on the information given to her by the IMT from Public Health about the Edinburgh incident . As anyone who is involved with the provision of healthcare can attest to , all that 99% of patients (read public ) want is an apology , rectify the problem or behaviour and move on . It appears Sturgeon is more willing to recognise this than anyone from WM tbf . 

As for Charlie , as a fervent republican , he is ironically the only one I have time for . What he has done for the people of Cumnock and Auchinleck is not insignificant as I’ve witnessed it first hand. 

Edited by Bonbon19
Noon briefing

21 minutes ago, Bonbon19 said:

I’ve no idea what powers Holyrood have to prevent people entering Scotland nor how they could’ve got more test kits but the fact remains had Sturgeon reacted to a credible warning of a health crisis quicker  there would have been less deaths . What happens in the rest of the U.K. is irrelevant she is in charge of healthcare in Scotland .  She could have chosen to alert the public to this coming crisis by any number of means . It would have been up to the public to assess if her actions were warranted , which had she chosen to do , possibly with or without WM approval , would only have resulted in the enhancement of her reputation IMO . It would have been a low risk strategy for her . 
As for Sturgeon being pilloried in the press , she’s used to it , I’m sure she’s thick skinned enough and politically aware enough to cope with that , she’s done it on a number of occasions , Neil and Morgan spring to mind , and from what I’ve seen she can handle herself .As Sturgeon herself said today she should have perhaps “ reflected more “ on the information given to her by the IMT from Public Health about the Edinburgh incident . As anyone who is involved with the provision of healthcare can attest to , all that 99% of patients (read public ) want is an apology , rectify the problem or behaviour and move on . It appears Sturgeon is more willing to recognise this than anyone from WM tbf . 

As for Charlie , as a fervent republican , he is ironically the only one I have time for . What he has done for the people of Cumnock and Auchinleck is not insignificant as I’ve witnessed it first hand. 

They’re doing well.........mustn’t criticise them, just Westminster. 

62A099BB-26FA-4E41-BE3C-7FC0DD3B93D6.jpeg.9c2baacfc43a11f51224d56a2553f31f.jpeg

AC78986C-1602-44F1-88D3-AC6DA1BEED24.jpeg.b009b0eaa25bc0fad32ebf78eaa69ec7.jpeg

2894CAEB-40AE-4DCA-82D3-2D7298CA1291.png.76d9232ad138293c1d7df68717f903d5.png

2B2AE850-D545-4B77-B1E3-36CCCD539789.png.e06d8ee088a21ac985f1b83013d7069e.png

19 hours ago, Beaker71 said:

The level of rabid efforts to try and have a go at the Scot Govt in the face if an unprecedented level of shambolic clusterf**kness from WM, is laughable.

These people say they're Scots, but when it comes to the crunch they never criticise their london masters and feverishly trawl the interweb and blow every single negative aspect of the Scot Govt decision to armageddon levels.

There will be a day when they look in the mirror and the person who looks back is ashamed.  And it's coming soon.

You’re “not Scottish” if you don’t support the Scottish Government and you should criticise them. Totalitarianism, pure and simple. “These people say they’re Scots”. “London Masters”. Textbook fascism. 

16 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

You’re “not Scottish” if you don’t support the Scottish Government and you should criticise them. Totalitarianism, pure and simple. “These people say they’re Scots”. “London Masters”. Textbook fascism. 

And yet you used the YOUR GOVERNMENT comment in other posts.  You sir have no idea of irony.

And as usual you completely lose the fabric of the debate,   I was demonstrating your behaviour, and those of unionists who cite against things and then loan when Scotland doesnt do them!!

41 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

Sighting Michael Gove as evidence of how well Westminster are doing eh? A pillar of truth and reliability in a world of fake news and miss direction  .... not.

By the way I agree the SNP are making a bit of a bollox of things and holding either government up as a pillar of virtue is a path to disaster.

1 hour ago, gdevoy said:

Sighting Michael Gove as evidence of how well Westminster are doing eh? A pillar of truth and reliability in a world of fake news and miss direction  .... not.

By the way I agree the SNP are making a bit of a bollox of things and holding either government up as a pillar of virtue is a path to disaster.

I agree that the Scottish Government have like the UK government been slow to react & save lives but you still have to take into account that we were following the UK & Sage advice as has been proved at the start of the crisis. In the main the Scottish Government has been quicker to act than the UK.  I just wish both or all 4 governments would come out & admit that they have made mistakes rather than keeping stating that they were taking Scientific & Clinical advice. IMO when this is all over our politicians may have more to say about the flawed UK approach.

18 hours ago, Mclean07 said:

62A099BB-26FA-4E41-BE3C-7FC0DD3B93D6.jpeg.9c2baacfc43a11f51224d56a2553f31f.jpeg

yes, all going very well.

'No one had any idea': Contact tracers lack knowledge about Covid-19 job

Employees told to consult YouTube for advice on how to deal with a bereaved person

They were hailed as stepping up to serve their country, with all the “rigorous” and “detailed” instruction needed for such an important role – but a programme to train thousands of contact-tracers to help control the spread of coronavirus has been described as shambolic and inadequate by recruits.

People hired to contact those exposed to someone with Covid-19 and advise them to self-isolate have reported spending days just trying to log into the online system, and virtual training sessions that left participants unclear about their roles.

New contact tracers have been told to rely on a two-page script and a list of frequently asked questions, both seen by the Guardian. When one taking part in a training session, run by contact centre company Sitel, asked for guidance on how to speak with somebody whose loved one had died of coronavirus, they were reportedly told to look at YouTube videos on the topic.

Matt Hancock, the health secretary, said on Monday that 21,000 contact tracers had been recruited across England, surpassing the initial target of 18,000. “They have rigorous training with detailed procedure designed by our experts at Public Health England,” he said. “They have stepped up to serve their country in their hour of need.”

Hancock claimed the government now had “the elements we need to roll out our national test and trace service: the testing capacity, the tracing capability and the technology”.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/20/no-one-had-any-idea-contact-tracers-lack-knowledge-about-covid-19-job

16 hours ago, harley said:

I agree that the Scottish Government have like the UK government been slow to react & save lives but you still have to take into account that we were following the UK & Sage advice as has been proved at the start of the crisis. In the main the Scottish Government has been quicker to act than the UK.  I just wish both or all 4 governments would come out & admit that they have made mistakes rather than keeping stating that they were taking Scientific & Clinical advice. IMO when this is all over our politicians may have more to say about the flawed UK approach.

I think you'll find that the first minister has said repeatedly that mistakes will and have been made.

Meanwhile our media and UK govt work together to hide, misdirect, lie and generally pump as much propaganda into homes as possible to cover up the cluster they've made of this.

All the devolved administrations have shown that they can manage their own nations sooo much better during this.

Simply put if yoons want to save their union (which this crisis has show to be a sham) then the only option is a fully and I mean fully federal union along the lines of the EU. That is as many independent states as wish to be working together as independent states along common goals.  Not one nation rising roughshod over the others and setting the strategy to suit one small part of their nation, which is what we have now.

1 hour ago, Beaker71 said:

..................fully federal union along the lines of the EU.

I would fully support this now, like if there was a vote tomorrow. I believe it addresses the largest number of issues while creating the smallest number of problems in its wake. The problems I have with "Independence" as sold by some is it sounds like childish petulance. Yeah we've been badly treated in the past but things don't get better when you bring out a long list of grievances. Regardless of whether you love them or hate them you cant just ignore our southern neighbours.

I believe this option should have been on the 2014 ballot paper and if it had been I would have voted for it and it would have won by a landslide. The reason we are where we are right now with the Brixit clusterf**k is because Cameron worked his bahookie off to keep it off the ballot paper so he could claim a victory for the Union and it nearly backfired. He thought he could work the same tricks with the EU to get a win and it really blew up in his face.

P.S. he did the same crap with the LibDems, keeping reasonable options off the ballot paper with the move for badly needed electoral reform, and so here we are now with JRM leading the Eton Buffon team. Tackling the coronavirus crisis like some 18th century spat with the Spanish Armada. 

12 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

Anyone remember when the Nats were crowing we were doing better than England.....

115F15DD-AA4F-40F7-8A4F-C8658F064255.jpeg.22279e38a0120683773c553c7099e337.jpeg
4F261D3E-5537-464B-BDE8-A0BAF145D33B.jpeg.18e9144bed30e69327688cea519cd4bd.jpeg

I take it your article is snipped from "The Scotsman", one of the leading proponents of independence who never stop going out of their way to highlight the benefits of voting SNP?

1 hour ago, Killiepies said:

What a shocker. Sturgeon has not eased the lockdown because she does not feel the same economic imperative as Johnstone. Who has the better judgement? Who knows.

3 hours ago, Mclean07 said:

Anyone remember when the Nats were crowing we were doing better than England.....

115F15DD-AA4F-40F7-8A4F-C8658F064255.jpeg.22279e38a0120683773c553c7099e337.jpeg
4F261D3E-5537-464B-BDE8-A0BAF145D33B.jpeg.18e9144bed30e69327688cea519cd4bd.jpeg

Never ever in the field of human existence has one person shows his utter hatred for his own people in such a way.

Not once in this whole pandemic have you utter a single word against WM, not a single one, yet you constantly trawl the interweb for anti SNP stuff.

The person who stares back at you from the mirror every morning should be ashamed of what he is looking at.

I actually agree with a lot of conclusions in the report. The care commission doesn’t have enough ‘teeth’. Inspection and enforcement have been weak. Care should never have been taken out of public ownership and become a for profit business. The salaries of CEO’s reported in the paper are eye watering. The complex web of offshore tax havens used to hide profits and avoid tax are criminal. However, to use a phrase popular with our unionist chums, “now is not the time” to focus on the failures. Now is the time to learn from them. 

Edited by Zorro

On 5/19/2020 at 1:48 PM, Bonbon19 said:

I’ll tell you which powers the Scottish government has to close the border or ground flights. None. Those are wm government powers. And if as you suggest, quicker reactions from Sturgeon re your purported ‘credible threat’ would’ve saved lives, it follows that the same is true for the U.K. government.
I doubt we’ll ever agree on much, however three facts are obvious. Covid-19 did not originate at a Nike event in Edinburgh. We live on an island. Westminster retains control over the U.K. border. With those facts in mind, quicker reactions to a credible threat from the U.K. government should have meant there were never any infected delegates in Edinburgh. They’d known from late last year that we were heading for a potential pandemic. They chose to put profits before people and allowed tens of millions of people unfettered access to the U.K.  if you think there’s blood on Sturgeon’s hands, there’s more on Westminster’s 

Ps iCharlie s a selfish prick who risked spreading the virus to a rural area, out of his own sense of entitlement. 

Edited by Zorro

School re-opening in August ,golf ,fishing bowling allowed ,can meet friends outside as long as social distancing,garden centres open ,agriculture opening up and talks on construction starting up .Next phase is professional sport and beer gardens .Light at the end of the tunnel and it looks like we will have football back in some form in August