Economic impact of Coronavirus

Killiepies

33 minutes ago, Killiepies said:

Light at the end of the tunnel and it looks like we will have football back in some form in August 

Nite how Nicola cunningly  did thus a couple of weeks behind BoJo. That way she gets a bug heads up if it causes a massive infection spike. 

And more SNP bad by the most hypocritical person on here.  Not a single word not even the merest breath of criticism of the UK UK shambles,  but daily interweb trawling to do his london masters bidding and SNP bad it everywhere.

Absolutely shameful, in fact the OF are Scotlands shame.  Jockholme syndrome sufferers are.

Edited by Beaker71

3 hours ago, Mclean07 said:

By a nationalist journalist....

F1C3DB66-F94D-47BB-BEB5-88FF2D2EBDF7.jpeg.e3e6bf08e802a050d7c43f44d5ac2e2f.jpeg

I am friendly with a care home owner who is a member of the Care Provider Alliance in the UK and tbf all govts have let this sector down very badly. In his opinion the authorities were slow to react to what care home owners and the Alliance warned them about and the initial slow response re PPE . Prior to the govts funding for PPE he had difficulty accessing enough supplies and was astonished what some suppliers were quoting for replacements . 

Pubs and restaurants could reopen tomorrow without posing the threat of a second wave of coronavirus, a leading Oxford scientist has suggested.

Sunetra Gupta, a professor of Theoretical Epidemiology, said there was a "strong possibility" that the hospitality industry could get back to work without posing a danger to the public.

In an interview with the website UnHerd, Prof Gupta called for a "rapid exit" from lockdown and said the coronavirus epidemic was already "on the way out". Much of the UK population may already have been exposed to the virus before the Government ordered people to stay at home, she added.

In March, Prof Gupta and her team published a controversial study claiming coronavirus had been spreading for months, with up to half the UK population already exposed.

However a separate analysis, produced by Professor Neil Ferguson at Imperial University, claimed the virus had not yet begun to spread and warned that 510,000 people could die if no action was taken. The Imperial study convinced ministers to introduce strict lockdown measures days later

2 hours ago, Bonbon19 said:

Pubs and restaurants could reopen tomorrow without posing the threat of a second wave of coronavirus, a leading Oxford scientist has suggested.

Sunetra Gupta, a professor of Theoretical Epidemiology, said there was a "strong possibility" that the hospitality industry could get back to work without posing a danger to the public.

In an interview with the website UnHerd, Prof Gupta called for a "rapid exit" from lockdown and said the coronavirus epidemic was already "on the way out". Much of the UK population may already have been exposed to the virus before the Government ordered people to stay at home, she added.

In March, Prof Gupta and her team published a controversial study claiming coronavirus had been spreading for months, with up to half the UK population already exposed.

However a separate analysis, produced by Professor Neil Ferguson at Imperial University, claimed the virus had not yet begun to spread and warned that 510,000 people could die if no action was taken. The Imperial study convinced ministers to introduce strict lockdown measures days later

Without proper, widespread testing, which the Givernment seem totally incapable of providing, there is no way to know which one of the above projections us right. Until people die..

The level of incompetence displayed by the UK government in handling the infection is staggering. Even for a bunch of hapless Publuc School horay Henry's.

3 hours ago, Bonbon19 said:

I am friendly with a care home owner who is a member of the Care Provider Alliance in the UK and tbf all govts have let this sector down very badly. In his opinion the authorities were slow to react to what care home owners and the Alliance warned them about and the initial slow response re PPE . Prior to the govts funding for PPE he had difficulty accessing enough supplies and was astonished what some suppliers were quoting for replacements . 

I am friendly with a number of people who’ve had to put a parent into a care home. They were equally astonished at the cost and were surprised to learn the majority of the staff were on minimum wage. I would’ve thought that these private businesses could afford to pay for the PPE and training  to protect their own employees and customers. They certainly have a duty of care to both groups. If they are unable to afford to provide a safe workplace or care environment, the business should be taken into public hands and staffed by NHS staff. 

Edited by Zorro

7 hours ago, Zorro said:

I am friendly with a number of people who’ve had to put a parent into a care home. They were equally astonished at the cost and were surprised to learn the majority of the staff were on minimum wage. I would’ve thought that these private businesses could afford to pay for the PPE and training  to protect their own employees and customers. They certainly have a duty of care to both groups. If they are unable to afford to provide a safe workplace or care environment, the business should be taken into public hands and staffed by NHS staff. 

Care homes are businesses and are therefore driven to the lowest cost solution.

16 hours ago, Zorro said:

I doubt the majority of staff in care homes are on minimum wage ,the newer younger recruits perhaps ? My friends home was adequately stocked with PPE  and professionally staffed and trained as per CQC guidance  , if he hadn’t it would have been closed very quickly. The PPE situation is well known he struggled to  get his hands on enough as you may have experienced.  Some care homes like some hospitals are poorly run but they’re in the minority . Our local public / council run care home is shutting down because it’s lost a six figure sum in the past 2 years and making staff redundant , AAHB haven’t stepped in. 
Just to add that the carers and nursing staff are exceptional in their duties however well they are remunerated 

8 hours ago, gdevoy said:

Care homes are businesses and are therefore driven to the lowest cost solution.

Over 500 care homes have closed since 2010 , council , charity and privately run. But which one would you put your mother and father in ? Not to generalise too much but I know I’d find the money somehow to get the best for them . 

Edited by Bonbon19

2 hours ago, Bonbon19 said:

Over 500 care homes have closed since 2010 , council , charity and privately run. But which one would you put your mother and father in ? Not to generalise too much but I know I’d find the money somehow to get the best for them . 

You are right that some places are just better run than others. My mum was in a care home for the last year of her life because her dementia made her too much for my dad to manage.

2 hours ago, gdevoy said:

You are right that some places are just better run than others. My mum was in a care home for the last year of her life because her dementia made her too much for my dad to manage.

I was in a fair few in my career and generally the standard of care by the carers ,nurses and catering staff was of a universally high standard but when it came to facilities offered and personal attention it was better in the private and charity sector than council run ones . 
Hope your mum got the care she deserved . 

1 hour ago, Bonbon19 said:

I was in a fair few in my career and generally the standard of care by the carers ,nurses and catering staff was of a universally high standard but when it came to facilities offered and personal attention it was better in the private and charity sector than council run ones . 
Hope your mum got the care she deserved . 

Yeah the staff were 1st class. 

On 5/23/2020 at 9:41 AM, Bonbon19 said:

I doubt the majority of staff in care homes are on minimum wage ,the newer younger recruits perhaps ? My friends home was adequately stocked with PPE  and professionally staffed and trained as per CQC guidance  , if he hadn’t it would have been closed very quickly. The PPE situation is well known he struggled to  get his hands on enough as you may have experienced.  Some care homes like some hospitals are poorly run but they’re in the minority . Our local public / council run care home is shutting down because it’s lost a six figure sum in the past 2 years and making staff redundant , AAHB haven’t stepped in. 
Just to add that the carers and nursing staff are exceptional in their duties however well they are remunerated 

The newer, younger recruits will definitely be on minimum wage and recruitment in this bracket will be highest. However there are different minimum wage levels for different age brackets and care homes tend to have a high turnover of staff. Personally I wouldn’t trust most care home owners to look after my dog, never mind a loved family member.

The numbers of patients admitted to hospitals, from care homes with pressure sores, dehydrated, unkempt or with mobility issues or complex care needs suggests there’s a significant problem. Fire safety has also been highlighted as a significant problem in many homes. 

2 hours ago, Zorro said:

The newer, younger recruits will definitely be on minimum wage and recruitment in this bracket will be highest. However there are different minimum wage levels for different age brackets and care homes tend to have a high turnover of staff. Personally I wouldn’t trust most care home owners to look after my dog, never mind a loved family member.

The numbers of patients admitted to hospitals, from care homes with pressure sores, dehydrated, unkempt or with mobility issues or complex care needs suggests there’s a significant problem. Fire safety has also been highlighted as a significant problem in many homes. 

You’ve undoubtedly had to deal with the worst effects of poorly run care homes by the very nature of your profession 

My friend has owned his for over 40 years and he has this theory as to the current bad name associated with the sector which according to him has its origins in the 80’s and 90’s when there was big profits to be made , this attracted the bigger players to buy them. Costs then become more important than when it’s individuals that own them and share holders and a board to answer too,  staffing levels are cut and facilities offered  and equipment used is removed or not replaced when they become obsolete, this combined with tougher scrutiny from CQC , councils and health boards has added to cost cutting .

I agree fire safety is a problem in some older properties that have found it difficult to adapt their configuration without losing bedrooms , and I sometimes wonder how they pass the inspections ? 

IMO there are good care homes out their , ask your GP , dentist and local pharmacist for recommendations. 

Edited by Bonbon19
Spelling

7 minutes ago, Bonbon19 said:

IMO there are good care homes out their , ask your GP , dentist and local pharmacist for recommendations. 

There is a public record of annual inspections of every care home. It gives ratings in several different areas. Some homes get 5 out if 5 in every area and some homes gave been on a final warning for years.

You can look up the rating fir any home you are interested in. Obviously getting a place in the better run homes us an issue.

Working in a hospital I can imagine you are getting first hand, in your face, evidence if how poorly run some are.

49 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

There is a public record of annual inspections of every care home. It gives ratings in several different areas. Some homes get 5 out if 5 in every area and some homes gave been on a final warning for years.

You can look up the rating fir any home you are interested in. Obviously getting a place in the better run homes us an issue.

Working in a hospital I can imagine you are getting first hand, in your face, evidence if how poorly run some are.

There are several ways to “work around “  inspections ,except the spot checks ran by the CQC , most inspections are booked in advance I’d imagine very like practice inspections in the primary care settings . That’s why I suggest to get a truly independent opinion on a care home ask the people or their staff who are in and out them every day . Tbf that was an easy exercise for me , I’m assuming it would be likewise for the wider public . 

If you really want to know how good a care home is, check out the costs. The more you pay the better the service. It’s as simple as that. Its the capitalist dream, but not one shared by the creators of our national health service. Care should be provided free at the point of care and based on need not by ability to pay. We seem to have forgotten how hard people fought for these rights. 

24 minutes ago, Zorro said:

If you really want to know how good a care home is, check out the costs. The more you pay the better the service. It’s as simple as that. Its the capitalist dream, but not one shared by the creators of our national health service. Care should be provided free at the point of care and based on need not by ability to pay. We seem to have forgotten how hard people fought for these rights. 

They fought for those rights under the gold standard or Bretton woods system, where money actually had value.  In 1971, the capitalist dream of the fiat money system changed everything for the masses.  Is reckoned US citizens were at their 'richest' in 1973 - long before I was about!

The biggest in the UK, HC One is based in Jersey, but the company seems to have a complex corporate structure, with the ultimate owner based in the Cayman Islands, the dubiously sounding FC Skyfall LP.

It's hard to believe their first priority is the folk that they care for and the carers that work for them.

13 minutes ago, Scooter said:

The biggest in the UK, HC One is based in Jersey, but the company seems to have a complex corporate structure, with the ultimate owner based in the Cayman Islands, the dubiously sounding FC Skyfall LP.

It's hard to believe their first priority is the folk that they care for and the carers that work for them.

Wikileaks makes for some interesting reading regarding Skyfall. The accountant for Skyfall are also major contributors to the Conservative party.