Economic impact of Coronavirus

Killiepies

Here's a thing. I suspect the UK economy was heading into a bit of a stall if not a recession at the start of the year which was simply a failure to recover at all from the 2008  US mortgage mis-selling crash. All the interest rate cuts in the world had simply failed to kick start the flat economy of the UK.

Now many companies will be able to blame coronavirus for the cutbacks they were planning to make anyway. And the virus itself will add another huge drag on an already faltering economy.

Once you add in the traincrash of leaving the EU while manged by an Eton educated s**tforbrains it's gonna be good not to need employment to support yourself.     

2 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

Here's a thing. I suspect the UK economy was heading into a bit of a stall if not a recession at the start of the year which was simply a failure to recover at all from the 2008  US mortgage mis-selling crash. All the interest rate cuts in the world had simply failed to kick start the flat economy of the UK.

Now many companies will be able to blame coronavirus for the cutbacks they were planning to make anyway. And the virus itself will add another huge drag on an already faltering economy.

Once you add in the traincrash of leaving the EU while manged by an Eton educated s**tforbrains it's gonna be good not to need employment to support yourself.     

I'm facing a 12% cut as my company has decided to standardise the benefits to a US model.  So 460 people island wide will bear the brunt while managers and directors get to keep all their benefits. 

I countered, if you're going to standardise to US styles  can I pay US fuel costs and US tax rates, oh and while Im at it claim OT as well like the salaries workers in the US can?

All to save 215K a year, literally piss 500iss people to the point they'll leave first chance they get to save pennies for a multi billion dollar enterprise.

The im all right Jack crew have always been there and always make sure they are looked after first. 

4 minutes ago, Prahakillie said:

Better get used to the US model for employment . It is the way things are heading post brexit. 

And folk on minimum wages voted for it so they could listen to Land of Hope and Glory and wave union flags more often. The real reason for wanting out the EU was so a bunch of rich Tory f**kwits could enrich themselves at the expense of everybody else.

"Shameful and pathetic" of Sturgeon to consider border restrictions or just plain sensible? The shame is on Johnson.

I know we have differing views re the care home deaths   Something I never mentioned in the debate was my partner was coming home from work highly stressed and was actually scared to go in. She said all her colleagues were scared. She rolled in anyway.  So you can understand my hatred and disgust at Johnson for his remarks on care homes being negligent. 

50 minutes ago, Shropshire_killie said:

"Shameful and pathetic" of Sturgeon to consider border restrictions or just plain sensible? The shame is on Johnson.

I know we have differing views re the care home deaths   Something I never mentioned in the debate was my partner was coming home from work highly stressed and was actually scared to go in. She said all her colleagues were scared. She rolled in anyway.  So you can understand my hatred and disgust at Johnson for his remarks on care homes being negligent. 

How can wanting to protect your own people from a lunatic and his governments handling of a deadly pandemic literally Ever he described as shameful and pathetic.

This isnt about polticial statements, despite the efforts of the shameful tories, mainstream media and some unionists on here to make it so  its about Public health.  And despite having her hands tied behind her back NS, her Welsh counterpart have performed exceptionally when compared to the clowns in wm.

Anyone and I mean anyone who thinks control of our borders and the authority to let people into Scotland should reside with the wm government in a oandemic needs to have a serious word with themselves.

1 hour ago, Beaker71 said:

Anyone and I mean anyone who thinks control of our borders and the authority to let people into Scotland should reside with the wm government in a oandemic needs to have a serious word with themselves.

I think BoJo's shambolic  handling if the pandemic is stacking up suppirt for Wee Nicola. Despite the contempt she us held in by the ubernats I believe she is the one person who can credibly deliver a unified independent Scotland.

2 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

I think BoJo's shambolic  handling if the pandemic is stacking up suppirt for Wee Nicola. Despite the contempt she us held in by the ubernats I believe she is the one person who can credibly deliver a unified independent Scotland.

Surprise Surprise the Eton tosser holding out for a public enquiry after the next election we might get that Russian report out then as well

On 7/9/2020 at 3:04 PM, Beaker71 said:

I'm facing a 12% cut as my company has decided to standardise the benefits to a US model.  So 460 people island wide will bear the brunt while managers and directors get to keep all their benefits. 

I countered, if you're going to standardise to US styles  can I pay US fuel costs and US tax rates, oh and while Im at it claim OT as well like the salaries workers in the US can?

All to save 215K a year, literally piss 500iss people to the point they'll leave first chance they get to save pennies for a multi billion dollar enterprise.

The im all right Jack crew have always been there and always make sure they are looked after first. 

Wait till they tell you that you're only getting 7days holidays a year as well.

On 7/9/2020 at 3:04 PM, Beaker71 said:

My work got took over a few years back by an American company so far we’ve lost double time for a Sunday overtime,the share save scheme and profit share bonus.They asked us to work some shifts during the summer shut down at single time and couldn’t understand when nobody put there name up

50 minutes ago, Jasg said:

My work got took over a few years back by an American company so far we’ve lost double time for a Sunday overtime,the share save scheme and profit share bonus.They asked us to work some shifts during the summer shut down at single time and couldn’t understand when nobody put there name up

Those at the top as in the bean counters haven't a clue, short term decision will screw organisations and destroy morale instantly.

All the 500 odd people are the ones leaving families at the drop of a hat to fly all round the globe to fix issues and support facilities. We're the ones working weekends for nowt,  dealing with emails at night and all sorts.

They can kiss goodbye to all of that, the removal of car allowance from sales roles is the better as, a stores manager who never leaves the facility keepa theirs,  but the salesman doesn't.   Wtaf!

Good to see 7 days on the trot with no deaths from coronavirus. I know we can't afford to be complacent but here's hoping this continues. It beggars belief that some of our Country folk are not happy that we are doing well in Scotland. People of all political persuasions should remember that good people have died in England, Wales and Ireland.

29 minutes ago, EKX16 said:

Good to see 7 days on the trot with no deaths from coronavirus. I know we can't afford to be complacent but here's hoping this continues. It beggars belief that some of our Country folk are not happy that we are doing well in Scotland. People of all political persuasions should remember that good people have died in England, Wales and Ireland.

we do remember  ky issue is with the absolute clowns who would support bojo and his merry band of incompetents at all costs over the Scottish Government   who have handled this whole thing with a calm  transparent and honest approach.

But haters must hate

28 minutes ago, Beaker71 said:

we do remember  ky issue is with the absolute clowns who would support bojo and his merry band of incompetents at all costs over the Scottish Government   who have handled this whole thing with a calm  transparent and honest approach.

But haters must hate

True. When you're on Stv or Bbc Twitter you look at the profiles and they mostly come from sevco fans who just love to hate.

Here's a nice economic impact of Coronavirus, if you can get it...

When there are other companies who do this sort of thing for a living, how does one company involved in pest control, with listed net assets of only £18,000, get an unadvertised or untendered government contract worth £32m to supply surgical gowns? 

The company is not a manufacturer, merely an intermediary and it's role was to order the gowns from China. Because of it's lack of assets, the government had to give it a deposit worth 75% of the value of the contract, against the government’s own rules.

Definitely not the only scandal this government has buried, as detailed by George Monbiot, and as he says, "This stinks!"

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jul/15/coronavirus-contracts-government-transparency-pandemic

Edited by Scooter

• 1 month later...

Here’s proof that airport testing is beneficial , why aren’t all governments implementing it ? 

Exclusive: Airport testing reduces rates of infections better than quarantine, data shows

The analysis by The PC Agency shows Greece, Denmark, Iceland, Germany, Cyprus and Singapore all reduced their rates

Countries that have expanded their airport testing of arriving holidaymakers have seen their national Covid infection rates decline, according to a new analysis.

The data, covering the period from mid-August to this weekend, shows Greece, Denmark, Iceland, Germany, Cyprus and Singapore all reduced their rates after intensifying border testing to allow arrivals to avoid 14-day quarantine.

The disclosure challenges the Government’s contention that testing on arrival is ineffective and only catches seven per cent of cases - an argument deployed by both Boris Johnson and Grant Shapps on Friday.

But in support of The Telegraph’s Test4Travel campaign, Paul Charles, chief executive of travel consultancy The PC Agency, which conducted the analysis, said the data demonstrated the value of airport testing in enabling travel, while minimising the risk to public health.

Along with many in the travel and aviation industry, Mr Charles advocated a two-test model, one on or before arrival and then a second followed up after five days of quarantine, reducing the time travellers have to self-isolate by nine days.

“The seven per cent figure is spurious data which is questioned by the whole travel industry as being out of date. Secondly, it only relates to one test at the airport rather than two,” said Mr Charles.

Scientists at Collinson Group, which has set up a testing facility at Heathrow, said the Government’s seven per cent figure was based on Public Health England (PHE) and SAGE modelling rather than the plethora of real-world data now available from countries’ airport testing regimes.

The map below shows the countries with testing

1599228643692.png

They cited Jersey, which has tested all 20,000 inbound travellers on arrival - equivalent to 20 per cent of its population - since opening its borders in July and has detected 17 Covid cases. All were quarantined. In the same period, there were only four cases of “in community” infections unrelated to the border.

“If the PHE modelling had been correct in its assumptions, Jersey should have experienced a further 185 imported cases of Covid, and many dozens more cases of onward transmission within the community. It experienced none,” said Collinson’s scientists in a paper submitted to the Government.

Iceland introduced a two-test regime for arrivals from August 19, with the second after five days of quarantine, and has since seen its Covid case rate fall from 16.5 to 11.5 per 100,000 of people.

“If the PHE modelling was correct, Iceland would have experienced over 1,000 additional cases of imported Covid, and many hundreds of cases on onward transmission. They have not. Total ‘in-community’ transmission for the period (not related to the border) was just 166 cases,” said Collinson.

Greece, which carries out more than 9,000 tests a day at its ports of entry, has seen its case rate per 100,000 fall from 14.3 to 13.7, while Denmark, which uses five-minute tests on arrivals, has dropped from 15.4 to 12.9.

Germany, which moved to the Icelandic two-test model, has gone from 10.1 to 9.0, Cyprus is down from 9.4 to 7.5 and Singapore down from 10.4 to 5.8.

Rates of Covid infection around Europe

Since 19th August (to 4th September), European countries which have expanded their airport testing have seen their 20/100,000 (7 days cumulative) infection numbers fall.

Greece – from 14.3 to 13.7. Over 9,000 tests a day being carried out at its ports of entry.

Denmark – gone from 15.4 to 12.9. Tests take 5 minutes and are on a random basis, or you can ask for one on arrival.

Iceland – gone from 16.5 to 11.5. Test once on arrival (£50) and then a second test (free of charge) after five days.

Germany – gone from 10.1 to 9.0. Free Test for all EU resident passengers coming from high-risk countries.

Cyprus – gone from 9.4 to 7.5. Increased testing, with extra random testing.

The Telegraph’s Test4Travel campaign has won the backing of travel chiefs, airports and airlines, and MPs including former health and transport secretaries Jeremy Hunt and Chris Grayling.

On Saturday, the Labour Party backed calls for “robust testing” at airports to reduce the need to quarantine.

In a letter to Priti Patel, shadow home secretary Nick Thomas-Symonds called for a review to "fix chaotic quarantine arrangements that are losing public confidence and undermining our ability to keep people safe and save jobs”.

It added: "It should include outlining options for a robust testing regime in airports, and related follow up tests, that could help to safely minimise the need for 14 day quarantine.”

On Sunday IATA, which represents the world’s airlines, will join those publicly backing it. “The stop-start closing of Britain to the world is not a successful survival tactic for Covid. Jobs are being vaporized by quarantine and they may never come back,” said Alexandre de Juniac, IATA Director General.

“The answer is a Covid testing regime that manages the risk to keep people safe from the virus. And it will avoid apocalyptic unemployment that is sure to devastate society and the economy."

Scientists have warned cases across Europe are “almost back” to the levels seen in March when infections peaked and draconian lockdowns were introduced.

Across the continent countries have been rapidly easing lockdowns, encouraging tourism and reopening in an effort to kick-start their economies.

Spain came close to clocking half a million coronavirus cases on Friday, where the pandemic is spreading at its fastest pace in Europe. Authorities registered 4,503 new infections, bringing the total to 498,989. The new wave of contagion has been less deadly than early in the pandemic, however.

Meanwhile, Ukraine registered a record 2,836 cases of the new coronavirus in the past 24 hours, the national security council said on Saturday, up from a previous record of 2,723 new cases on Friday.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/09/05/exclusive-airport-testing-reduces-rates-infections-better-quarantine/?WT.mc_id=e_DM1283391&WT.tsrc=email&etype=Edi_FAM_New_ES_Sun&utmsource=email&utm_medium=Edi_FAM_New_ES_Sun20200906&utm_campaign=DM1283391