Best player

Bobby14

10 hours ago, jasper said:

I would add Ivor Allchurch, who was an over-age Welsh under-23 player. He was easily the most under-rated player I have ever seen. Played for Wales under-23 at RP.

You must mean the match in December 1964. 

Are you sure Allchurch played? He would have been 35 at the time and I don't believe over-age players were allowed at the time. There was none in the Scotland team. 

Edited by skygod

10 hours ago, jasper said:

I would add Ivor Allchurch, who was an over-age Welsh under-23 player. He was easily the most under-rated player I have ever seen. Played for Wales under-23 at RP.

Surprised that John Charles is the only Welshman on the list, given that they've had the likes of Giggs and Bale too.

11 minutes ago, Fankle said:

Surprised that John Charles is the only Welshman on the list, given that they've had the likes of Giggs and Bale too.

Born in the wrong era, I guess. Bit like Frank Beattie not getting a sniff at the national team, because of the others playing at the time, I'd imagine.

9 minutes ago, Deano said:

Georgi Kinkladze in a preseason friendly against Man City was a bit special as I remember 

They got relegated at the end of that season. Still gave us a bit of a roasting mind you. 4-0, and 7,000 at the game.

1 minute ago, red_dug said:

Didn't we beat man City 4-2 in a pre season game in the 90s or is my memory playing tricks on me?

I definitely have a programme from games against them and Bolton from the same pre season.

See, I thought it was 4-2 too. But 'citytilidie has it down as 4-0.

We changed keepers and both conceded 2 goals.

Kilmarnock v Manchester City friendly 1997/98

Posted on June 30, 2010 by boswell — No Comments ↓

KILMARNOCK 0 CITY 4

Friendly

26th July 1997

attendance 7,101

Scorers Rosler 2, Symons 2

City Wright, Brightwell, Symons, Beesley, Vaughan, Summerbee, Brannan, Wiekens, Horlock, Rosler, Kinkladze – used subs Crooks, Heaney

https://www.citytilidie.com/latest/kilmarnock-away-friendly-199798/

40 minutes ago, CB said:

KILMARNOCK 0 CITY 4

Friendly

26th July 1997

attendance 7,101

City Wright, Brightwell, Symons, Beesley, Vaughan, Summerbee, Brannan, Wiekens, Horlock, Rosler, Kinkladze – used subs Crooks, Heaney

They were miles ahead of us that day - men against boys. 

1 hour ago, CB said:

KILMARNOCK 0 CITY 4

Friendly

26th July 1997

attendance 7,101

Will look out the programme. I used to write the scores in a corner of the front page.

Did we play them twice by chance?

I thought nicky weaver played in goal for them.

Edited by red_dug

2 hours ago, CB said:

KILMARNOCK 0 CITY 4

Friendly

26th July 1997

attendance 7,101

Definitely 0-4. They hammered us and they were in what is now the Championship. I remember taking a customer down to Old Trafford for a game against his team Coventry( My company C & W had 2 Hospitality season tickets and we were bidding for a £multimillion contract, so they had to twist my arm to wine and dine him!). On the way home from Manchester Piccaddilly station a train load of Man City fans had just arrived, looking for trouble with Man Utd fans. Me and my customer thought, oh sh*t, as a few of them were walking up to people to see what colours they had on. As it transpired I was Ok.  I was wearing my Killie jacket and when he saw the badge, he said 'we f*cked you 4-0'. I said 'yep you certainly did' and walked on as I was no threat to him! PS. That was the day that Killie were playing Celtic at Parkhead- Jerome Vareille scored the equaliser. Think we were 1-0 down at half time - finished 1-1 - and in the Man Utd hositality I was punching the air, going mental and everyone round about was wondering what the hell was going on!!!

Edited by Rondo

7 hours ago, Allan said:

Shearer in 95 Rugby Park re-opening... he got 3 on the night without breaking a sweat

As a team they were outstanding.

The way they kept their shape and moved as a unit sticks in my mind - more like table footballers,  they were so connected with one another.