WTF

Bodgdan

Sorry if this has been done before on a where are they now thread but I just saw this and thought this has to be the most bizarre ex player career change I've heard of.

Not since Allan Russell got hired to teach Harry Kane how to score goals have I been as gobsmacked. 

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm8507926/?ref_=tt_cl_t7

Another though hit me that he maybe shouldn't be the only ex Killie player now living under an assumed identity. 

1 hour ago, Bodgdan said:

Sorry if this has been done before on a where are they now thread but I just saw this and thought this has to be the most bizarre ex player career change I've heard of.

Not since Allan Russell got hired to teach Harry Kane how to score goals have I been as gobsmacked. 

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm8507926/?ref_=tt_cl_t7

Another though hit me that he maybe shouldn't be the only ex Killie player now living under an assumed identity. 

Allan Russell 'acted' too. Was in an episode of River City.

_47161434_allan_russell_poster.jpg

1 hour ago, CB said:

Was Allan Russell the botched transfer? He was here, everything checked out, then someone refused to sanction the transfer fee. 

He was. Sportsound must have had a much bigger budget in those days because Chick Young was at RP to monitor all the deadline day activities.

Nish was sold to Hibs earlier in the day and we desperately needed a striker. After a lot of "Will he, won't he", Billy Brown came on around midnight (or 11pm, whichever it was) to announce that a deal had been done for Russell just in time. 

It was only the next day it emerged that it had fallen through - something to do with Airdrie moving the goalposts on the payment terms and MJ putting his foot down. Airdrie probably said that it was the other way around.

JJ was livid and BB looked like a haddie, as usual.

Edited by skygod

It looks like we switched to a 4-5-1 with Invincibile or Dalglish up top.

Was only one club relegated that season? We finished 11th, with just Gretna relegated.

Seems that there was play-offs in the lower divisions only.

Edited by skygod

3 minutes ago, skygod said:

It looks like we switched to a 4-5-1 with Invincibile or Dalglish up top.

Was only one club relegated that season? We finished 11th, with just Gretna relegated.

Must've been 1 up, 1 down. That was the season of 'it doesn't matter, Gretna will save us'.

Only Gretna came up the previous season.

Didn't realise that's how that worked out.

I though we just sold Nish to make some money on him and didn't bring in a striker cause MJ was a skinflint and he thought we could avoid relegation without signing anyone as Gretna were good as certain to go down. Always though he essentially wrote off the rest of that season. Didn't remember us trying to get someone in.

5 minutes ago, Bodgdan said:

I though we just sold Nish to make some money on him and didn't bring in a striker cause MJ was a skinflint and he thought we could avoid relegation without signing anyone as Gretna were good as certain to go down. Always though he essentially wrote off the rest of that season. Didn't remember us trying to get someone in.

Kilmarnock have completed the signing of striker Allan Russell.

The Ayrshire club failed with a bid sign the 27-year-old in January but sealed the transfer after Airdrie United's last game of the season.

The former St Mirren player, who struck 26 goals this season, has moved to Rugby Park after his contract expired.

Killie manager Jim Jefferies said: "It's a two-year deal with the option of a third year if he meets certain criteria in the second season."

Russell's arrival will go some way to making up for the sale in January of Colin Nish to Hibernian.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/k/kilmarnock/7401013.stm

5 minutes ago, Bodgdan said:

Wales' goals had dried up, and we'd sent Di Giacomo on loan to partick. The memories of that season are coming flooding back now. Oh very dear.

Nish was our top scorer with 9. 7 games without a league win, twice...