Biggest Coup

LH31

I think it's close between Tommy Burns and Steve Clarke but maybe the fact that the position/ legacy SC left has been dribbled away so quickly means Tommy Burns gets my vote! 

Of course, what happened next doesn't relate to the contribution either made when they were here, but it does influence the longer term impact which is relevant to the question. 

As we’re veering to off the field signings.: The £2m cheque from the football trust to redevelop RP was a great off the field signing.  Whoever signed off MJ’s debt reduction at the bank, seems a better signing as every day goes by in this corona crisis!  On the field it has to be Durrant.  Cocard was a bigger coup on paper, but never consistently delivered - which always annoyed me in retrospect.

18 minutes ago, RAG said:

As we’re veering to off the field signings.: The £2m cheque from the football trust to redevelop RP was a great off the field signing.  Whoever signed off MJ’s debt reduction at the bank, seems a better signing as every day goes by in this corona crisis!  On the field it has to be Durrant.  Cocard was a bigger coup on paper, but never consistently delivered - which always annoyed me in retrospect.

Especialy on the reported £5,000 grand a week how much would that be worth in todays terms?

15 minutes ago, ChrissyRoss said:

Tommy Burns is the best player I have ever seen in a Killie strip, such a talented player and an excellent coach, so for on field talent it has to be him.

Can I just throw Ally Mitchell's name out there as well. Maybe not a coup as such but the 100k we spent to get him from East Fife certainly feels like a bargain. Loved that man and his 12 year service was exceptional.

Off the field, signing Steve Clarke. I sadly think we may not be that competitive again for a generation or three. I hope I am wrong.

Tommy Burns great player manager for killie but more important a throughly decent and honourable person

Edited by killie1961

13 hours ago, Bonbon19 said:

Tommy Burns wouldn’t have been here without Bobby Fleeting who wouldn’t have been here without James Moffat .

Also Ally McCoist was one of those signings it was hard to believe we’d got him 

Shame his son never had the same affection for the club as his dad did

1 hour ago, Prahakillie said:

5000 grand a week is an enormous amount for anyone even today. 

One or two in EPL and a couple of other leagues probably approaching it. There are some on high hundreds of thousands a week now if you believe the papers. Mind you I tend not to.

I would agree with others that Tommy Burns was by far the best and Stevie Clarke the best managerial appointment we could ever have made but I’m going to throw a tommy burns signing out there which if believed cost us a packet of sweeties and turned out to be one of our best signings George McCluskey a delight to watch in his day 

Difficult question but I think for me it has to be Tommy Burns. He could easily have signed for other clubs higher placed in the league but he chose Killie. 

Would give a shout for Paul Wright as well. Number of goals he scored for Killie and one in particular in 1997. 

Big Dieter Van Turnhout was a big guy...