Our Society

Fudger

Sadly as I suspected at the beginning of the pandemic, we as a society are generally too selfish to see it through properly. 

This is purely anecdotal on my part but opening this up as interested to hear your views. 

My street was a joke this weekend, various houses receiving guests (who clearly didn't live in those houses). The worst thing of all is that many of these houses contained at least one member of the NHS, some have more than one living there. 

As my family and I walked round the woods, we passed several groups of 'young team' all bunched together walking to the fields with their tunes and carry outs and then when we did the same walk the day after we witnessed all the empties left behind for some other cnut to pick up for them. 

Still, at least you can easily identify who the most selfish pricks are in your close proximity. 

Anyone else seeing this sort of behaviour? 

I live on the seafront and I witness the exact same daily unfortunately ,despite regular police car patrols , they hide behind the sand dunes and have picnics in groups that are evidently not a family . Groups of youngsters are usually the worse , they are congregating locally in the wee small hours . 

I've found it's actually the elder generation who know no boundaries,  believe they are immortal and have a right to do what they want.  The worst are the dog walkers who think it's ok to let their mutts run about off the lead.

By and large in inverurie the younger generations have been exemplary. 

I think the simple lack of leadership from the top is the issue. You tell people to "stay at home    .....   unless you have to go out   ....., Don't go to work ....   unless you have to go to work" .. etc., etc., etc.

People ask "for how long?" They reply "we don't know". People ask "how will we row back from where we are" They reply "we don't know".

While I'm not trying to excuse people for being downright irresponsible, the above are the reasons for the behaviours you describe. We need to see at least some hint that those in charge have some sort of plan. Otherwise there will be chaos.

Some people seem to have a different definition of essential to me. I’ve been off the last three days and every day as I’ve walked the dog there’s been three auld fellas at the local golf course clubhouse, sitting with the doors open having coffee. The queues outside the likes of B&Q are also unreal.

However it’s not just the general public. Today I’m sitting on my lunch, listening to a clinical support worker doing her nut in about missing out on the best of the freebies as they’re handed into site and capacity. She’s specifically irate at missing out on stuff from TK max. How do you tell someone like this to shut their greedy puss without ending up at a disciplinary hearing? 

My view is I normally provide my own food and drinks, and while it’s appreciated if I get anything, there’s plenty people who require it more and are more deserving. Please, if you feel you need to donate, consider local food banks etc rather than hospital staff. We’re still on full pay, many aren’t as lucky. Help take care of them and we’ll take care of people in here. 

Edited by Zorro

1 minute ago, Lroy said:

The fact places like B&Q are open to the masses is a joke.

I saw Alan Titmarsh moaning yesterday that it’s a travesty that they’re open but garden centres are still closed. He went on a mini rant about it killing the British horticultural industry and inferior  foreign plants coming over here, stealing local plants jobs etc. Very bizarre. 

1 hour ago, Mclean07 said:

Workers landscaping all sitting having a smoke together in a wee group. Outside a local shop today, virtually no space between people. I’m sure it’s getting broken now in households all over the place. 

It certainly is , at the beginning folk were definitely staying inside and abiding by the rules , but now more and more are going out to pals back garden etc etc ,some of the lockdown and social distancing rules are crap anyway . I was in marks and Spencer’s the other day and it was mobbed at the food department folk everywhere no social distancing but when you went to the checkout it was 2 metres apart , and one of the cheaper shops in burns mall it was chaos with folk everywhere and no 2 metres apart at the checkout , on the whole I’d say most are trying to adhere by the rules but others are totally pissed of and going out and about anyway 

43 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

I think the simple lack of leadership from the top is the issue. You tell people to "stay at home    .....   unless you have to go out   ....., Don't go to work ....   unless you have to go to work" .. etc., etc., etc.

People ask "for how long?" They reply "we don't know". People ask "how will we row back from where we are" They reply "we don't know".

While I'm not trying to excuse people for being downright irresponsible, the above are the reasons for the behaviours you describe. We need to see at least some hint that those in charge have some sort of plan. Otherwise there will be chaos.

They don’t know because THEY have no idea , THEY are the same ones who have caused many many deaths by their own negligence, too late on locking down , not enough ppe , not attending meetings on what THEY were told would be a life changer , not testing enough the list goes on 

44 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

Would tend to agree with the lack of leadership and message from government etc, however for may people it wouldn't matter what the government said or did, they would still make up their own minds and do whatever they like. 

The majority of people I interact with are adhering to the rules set out but it is clear to me that many don't give a s**t about it and I have now seen that type of behaviour increase quite a bit over the past week or so. 

Suppose in times of tragedy you see the real good and bad in people. 

1 hour ago, Fudger said:

Would tend to agree with the lack of leadership and message from government etc, however for may people it wouldn't matter what the government said or did, they would still make up their own minds and do whatever they like. 

The majority of people I interact with are adhering to the rules set out but it is clear to me that many don't give a s**t about it and I have now seen that type of behaviour increase quite a bit over the past week or so. 

Suppose in times of tragedy you see the real good and bad in people. 

The government say " dont take drugs, it'll really f**k up your life.', the say "dont get in your car and drive  when you're s**tfaced you could kill sombedy"

But some people are still either convinced the government dont know shut, or that it's some kind of control conspiracy thing. 

Edited by gdevoy

I think situations like this amplify your personality, be that good or bad. Nice people do extraordinarily nice things, and selfish people remain pricks.

It does show though that any government mandated PPE advice is pointless. If those in a clinical setting have to be trained to use PPE effectively, what is the point of telling the general public they should get some and use it properly. If it isn't used properly then it is utterly useless.

It seems clear from the last few days that some businesses are trying to figure out how to open in some way to keep some money coming in without breaking guidelines, to the point of farce. Greggs are the latest today.

27 minutes ago, Scooby_Doo said:

It does show though that any government mandated PPE advice is pointless. If those in a clinical setting have to be trained to use PPE effectively, what is the point of telling the general public they should get some and use it properly. If it isn't used properly then it is utterly useless.

In other countries they are not using medical PPE equipment when out in public.

They are using cloth face masks or even scarves to cover nose and mouth.

Not 100% effective I know but with everyone wearing them it should make some difference.

as someone whose in the "essential worker" group, and working full time, i'm finding myself becoming increasingly bitter at all the folk out swanning about on their "daily exercise"  while i'm working. the ones I see are clearly miles from home and look like they're having a grand old time, like its become a free holiday for them. inside I know I shouldn't feel like this and we're all in this together etc, but it looks like some of us are in it more than others and the lazy gits are getting on my tits

Got to admit im struggling a wee bit this past week at work with the behaviour and attitude of many people. Customers mainly but staff also. 

The amount of permaraging people out there doing as they please and giving pelters to people when asked to do otherwise is soul destroying. 

Simply it isne them yet so f**k it. 

Many many people are quite clearly still children mentally when it comes down to it. Never suffered a hardship in their lifes and throw a tantrum when they have thier lollipop taken off them. 

Its been five f**king weeks. 

Yet something something war something clap something something. 

These clowns wouldne last five minutes in a war if they think being at home in thier gardens in lovely weather with bevvy and plenty entertainment on the telly is tough. 

Edited by cammy_boy

5 hours ago, Zorro said:

I saw Alan Titmarsh moaning yesterday that it’s a travesty that they’re open but garden centres are still closed. He went on a mini rant about it killing the British horticultural industry and inferior  foreign plants coming over here, stealing local plants jobs etc. Very bizarre. 

The guy is a tosser

1 hour ago, Prahakillie said:

In other countries they are not using medical PPE equipment when out in public.

They are using cloth face masks or even scarves to cover nose and mouth.

Not 100% effective I know but with everyone wearing them it should make some difference.

But if not everyone is wearing them then it's almost pointless.

Out of those who do, do you think they will be boil washing their scarves between uses? Or just wearing it on the bus, taking it off at work and then back on again later.

Every time I have the misfortune to see the news, I'm initially ecstatic that there is a new series of The Day Today on. Then I realise there isn't.

I would say the vast majority of us are abiding by the lockdown and the physical distancing rules, even grudgingly.

I've noticed most folk are a lot more patient when out for a walk or out shopping, keeping their distance and waiting till you move away before going past or following you round the aisles.

In any situation, you're gonna get the Accepters, the Sufferers or the Resisters?

The Resisters are in a minority but their actions can get magnified out of all proportion, ie. to represent the 'whole society'? Really?

There's no point getting worked up too much about them, we've got enough to get anxious about.

Keep the heid! B|

Edited by Scooter

1 hour ago, Scooby_Doo said:

But if not everyone is wearing them then it's almost pointless.

Out of those who do, do you think they will be boil washing their scarves between uses? Or just wearing it on the bus, taking it off at work and then back on again later.

Every time I have the misfortune to see the news, I'm initially ecstatic that there is a new series of The Day Today on. Then I realise there isn't.

So everyone, just about, is wearing them. 

People are boil washing them (cotton masks at least) between wearing. 

UK argument against then seems to be if you wear a mask you won't wash your hands or keep your distance. 

People here don't seem to have a problem doing all three. 

Are they effective? I don't know but at the moment I prefer our figures to yours. 

14 minutes ago, Prahakillie said:

So everyone, just about, is wearing them. 

People are boil washing them (cotton masks at least) between wearing. 

UK argument against then seems to be if you wear a mask you won't wash your hands or keep your distance. 

People here don't seem to have a problem doing all three. 

Are they effective? I don't know but at the moment I prefer our figures to yours. 

How do you know what everyone is doing?

It's commonplace for those in China to wear masks day to day. That worked out well didn't it?