Extending Contracts Now

Rondo

This may have been touched on previously but given all the uncertainty, let's use this time as an opportunity to extend the contracts of all the players we want to keep. If we can presume that Killie is going to survive this lockdown then let's get our core team nailed down. Time to be ambitious. McCulloch and Clarke gave out 2/3 year contracts to the players that were a mainstay of our team. Let's look at doing the same with eg O'Donnell, Findlay, Dicker, Power, Brophy, Kabamba Burke, McKenzie, Kiltie, El Makrini. We can then build for the future and never again have the signing ineptitude that transpired last year.

Now as you digest the above, consider this. Hamilton have just agreed a new two-year contract with David Templeton.

7 hours ago, Rondo said:

...given all the uncertainty, let's use this time as an opportunity to extend the contracts of all the players we want to keep. Time to be ambitious. 

I think you have contradicted yourself there.

Given the uncertainty, it is absolutely not the time to be ambitious. 

Some of the players you list are under contract for next season. Given that we have no idea when football will recommence and whether there will be paying spectators allowed - and, if so, how many - extending these contracts would make no sense to me.

Before you say that the likes of Findlay and Brophy have good transfer values, we have no idea what the state of the transfer market will be going forward. English clubs might have to refund television fees already received and - most likely - spent, leaving a vast hole in their balance sheets.

We do not have the funds to be be ambitious. All the quotes coming from the club are of ensuring the long-term sustainability of the club. I don't think they are going to jeopardise this by giving contract extensions to 30+ year-old players until the situation has become much clearer. 

The owners of Hamilton Academical can run their club as they see fit.   

Edited by skygod

1 hour ago, skygod said:

Some of the players you list are under contract for next season. Given that we have no idea when football will recommence and whether there will be paying spectators allowed - and, if so, how many - extending these contracts would make no sense to me.

Before you say that the likes of Findlay and Brophy have good transfer values, we have no idea what the state of the transfer market will be going forward. English clubs might have to refund television fees already received and - most likely - spent, leaving a vast whole in their balance sheets.

We do not have the funds to be be ambitious. All the quotes coming from the club are of ensuring the long-term sustainability of the club. I don't think they are going to jeopardise this by giving contract extensions to 30+ year-old players until the situation has become much clearer. 

Burky staying another year, on SSB just now

If and/or when football resumes, for some time crowds will be down and there will be less money going round in the game. I am sure many clubs will run with smaller squads to keep the wages bill lower to survive. This could mean more players are available. 

2 hours ago, skygod said:

Before you say that the likes of Findlay and Brophy have good transfer values, we have no idea what the state of the transfer market will be going forward. English clubs might have to refund television fees already received and - most likely - spent, leaving a vast whole in their balance sheets.

Obviously you are not getting where I am going with this and to be honest I can't be arsed explaining it to you.

Did McKenzie and Dicker not day they'd be happy to extend their stay.

Plus Brophy, Kabamba and Power still have a year left. Lots of more urgent matters of contracts running out Burke and O'Donnell hopefully pen a new deal with them.

Both Branescu and DDF are ou tof contract at Juve this year could get either of them on a permanent.

But look at on the bright side at least we'll be happy in this transfer window than the previous cause we're gonna need players.

Edited by Pride_of_ayrshire

On 4/27/2020 at 7:47 PM, Rondo said:

Obviously you are not getting where I am going with this and to be honest I can't be arsed explaining it to you.

Sorry guys - I'd like to apologise to skydog for my inappropriate response above. I was wrong.  After all this is a debating Forum. I can only put my aberration down to my corona cabin feveritis affliction!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Like Foster, Scotland and Kilmarnock defender Stephen O'Donnell, 27, is in the final few weeks of his contract.

"In normal circumstances, maybe June at the latest you're getting sorted," he added on BBC Radio Scotland's Sportsound.

"Just now you're thinking, 'is it going to be July, August before teams are actually building for next season'?

"Just now I'm not worried. Maybe in two months' time I'll be a slightly more stressful man. I've been fortunate, I've been offered something and it's my choice."

3 hours ago, theboyjohnston said:

Like Foster, Scotland and Kilmarnock defender Stephen O'Donnell, 27, is in the final few weeks of his contract.

"In normal circumstances, maybe June at the latest you're getting sorted," he added on BBC Radio Scotland's Sportsound.

"Just now you're thinking, 'is it going to be July, August before teams are actually building for next season'?

"Just now I'm not worried. Maybe in two months' time I'll be a slightly more stressful man. I've been fortunate, I've been offered something and it's my choice."

Sounds very much like he’s on the lookout for a new club.