A sensible “Honest “ man

It’s not very often that i agree with the great unwashed south of Symington but step forward Lauchlan Cameron.

He wants to play home and away each season. And not base leagues around 4 Glasgow derbies each year. Reconstruction for the good of all not just this season. 
(Death threats on the way no doubt from some sections and media meltdown)

sorry can’t upload stuff not young enough to know how. See Daily Record app for full story

Ayr United owner Lachlan Cameron reckons Scottish football should no longer be based around four Old Firm games per season.

The Somerset Park chairman insists he is "more interested in parity for the leagues" moving forward.

Cameron, a member of the SPFL reconstruction taskforce, also said he would vote for "neither" a 14-14-14 setup or 14-10-10-10 proposal.

Speaking on the PLZ Soccer show, he said there should be more to the game than just TV rights for the derbies between Rangers and Celtic.

He said: "I seem to be out of whack with everyone else but I've long maintained we should have two leagues.

"I like the idea of home and away - I don't really care about the Old Firm playing each other four times.

"I know that's where the money comes from but I'm more interested in parity for the leagues.

"I think long term we'd be much better off for that and it would make it a lot more interesting.

"I think it would also engage supporters at a far higher level."

Lachlan, whose Ayr side finished fourth in the Championship season which was called early, added that he "wasn't thrilled" at the fallout from Dundee's late vote switch.

The resolution eventually passed, with the United chairman taking his place on a 15-strong taskforce discussing reconstruction.

Two options have been mooted, with League Two sides saying they will swing behind a 14-14-14 setup, while the 14-10-10-10 model is also under consideration.

But Lachlan said: "I think I would vote against both of those.

"How does that solve anything? I'd rather just stay as we are until we can find a better solution going forward.

"We don't have to change our format for next year. We can take some time to think about it.

"I certainly wouldn't be jumping in and rushing and making a decision to change to 14-14-14 or 14-10-10-10 because I don't think it solves anything.

"But nothing has been proposed yet. A lot of ideas are being discussed and Les Gray is collating all of that.

"Once we have our next meeting we will start to narrow down what the actual choices are."

Cameron also called for the establishment of a commissioner system in Scottish football and added: "Sometimes I think there's too much power within each club and the voting structure.

"I would have the clubs elect a commissioner who would make decisions for the benefit of Scottish football.

"It wouldn't decrease the amount of bickering and arguing but at least things would actually happen.

"And the clubs would have the right to vote that person out come the next elections should they choose."

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/time-scrap-four-rangers-v-21954206

18 hours ago, Pompey Exile said:

I agree with his point that clubs have too much say. Every club voting means it will always been done on a selfish level and not for the good of the game or the fans

Yes but it's a member owned organisation, so in effect there SFA is the or rather child be the clubs.

Personally I believe a radical rethink is needed and the clubs on a rotational basis put forward reps who are voted in to sit on an overall football board of 6, with an ecmxecituve chairman who is employed by the board.

This board then run the games make the decisions, etc. And will be elected every 3 years, and noone is allowed to sit more then 3 terms.

When the reps are elected they CANNOT hold any official or unofficial office or power at ANY club.  They can hold shares but must or should have those set aside and put into some kind of trust.  This would only change IF a club got into difficulty when the elected rep could resign and take up their previous role.

Edited by Beaker71

Playing "home and away each season" was done away with because there were too many mid-table meaningless matches. A return to that isn't a step forward.

And we've gotta be honest with ourselves, TV audiences are really only interested in one game up here. We've created a freak show over the years and that's what brings the money.

2 hours ago, Scooter said:

Playing "home and away each season" was done away with because there were too many mid-table meaningless matches. A return to that isn't a step forward.

And we've gotta be honest with ourselves, TV audiences are really only interested in one game up here. We've created a freak show over the years and that's what brings the money.

League was changed in the 70s because of celtics 9 in a row