The Joy of Painting

I've been catching this on BBC 4 at 7pm weeknights. 

In the half hour episodes, Bob Ross; a mild mannered artist with a splendid perm, paints an entire landscape, full of "happy little trees"

As much as the painting is impressive, his soothing voice and friendly manner make it a joy to watch.

Are the any other fans on here?

Edited by Pompey Exile
Wrong channel!

9 hours ago, Pompey Exile said:

I've been catching this on BBC 3 at 7pm weeknights. 

In the half hour episodes, Bob Ross; a mild mannered artist with a splendid perm, paints an entire landscape, full of "happy little trees"

As much as the painting is impressive, his soothing voice and friendly manner make it a joy to watch.

Yep. Count me in. Used to watch him in the 70's or whenever it was and be fascinated by the style.

On 4/30/2020 at 10:21 PM, Pompey Exile said:

I've been catching this on BBC 4 at 7pm weeknights. 

Used to love coming home after a night on the nummers. 

Bob bringing me back down from space 

A cracking wee programme. Still great 

Yeah quite interesting when you read his back story. 

Move over Attenborough: why Bob Ross’s art lessons are TV’s ultimate stressbuster

It might sound unlikely, but The Joy of Painting – a kitsch, gentle show from the 80s which returns to TV this week – is the ultimate antidote to the trials of the modern world

Full Guardian article

2 hours ago, skygod said:

His techniques are good to watch and practise but his style is very dated. It is from 1987, after all!

Worth watching.

There's not enough arts and crafts programmes (and too many about food). 

Mmm. Interesting. Who defines "dated'. I love the Impressionist style and Paul Cezzane is my fav. For me Im not too interested in when precisely something was painted. I do agree though with Bob it is almost a degree of trickery in the way he paints but I wouldn't necessarily assign that to a particular decade. 

I also love art from many different periods and schools.

What I meant by “dated” is that I was expecting a  contemporary programme and it just felt a bit odd to watch this guy painting landscapes in the 1980s in a style which was commercially popular back then.  

Maybe he could paint in the style of Cezanne or Renoir or Vermeer, but he was happy doing his own thing at that time. 

As I say, it was interesting to watch his techniques. 

Edited by skygod

On 5/7/2020 at 1:10 AM, skygod said:

I also love art from many different periods and schools.

What I meant by “dated” is that I was expecting a  contemporary programme and it just felt a bit odd to watch this guy painting landscapes in the 1980s in a style which was commercially popular back then.  

Maybe he could paint in the style of Cezanne or Renoir or Vermeer, but he was happy doing his own thing at that time. 

As I say, it was interesting to watch his techniques. 

Yep. Sorry Skygod  Just watching it again last night and the exact same style is prominent in all of his paintings, every episode with the same stippling and dabbing and scraping. V clever to be fair but of that time. Still enjoy it tho and glad it's on. A peaceful half hour. "Heres a happy little bush..." My ma has one very much in that style and from that time when it was very trendy. Its a mountain scene but always annoyed me as the reflections in the lake below were all wrong.  

• 2 weeks later...