Niko gutted to miss Kilmarnock return

One of many loan and out of contract players we may never see again at Rugby Park , not too bad a place to be locked down in though 

#####
NIKO HAMALAINEN admits he’ll be gutted if he misses out on a Kilmarnock return as the move helped him mature as a player.

The young defender has flourished at Rugby Park this season after signing on loan from Queens Park Rangers. 

But, with the deal due to run out at the end of this month, he is worried he won’t get the chance to return to Ayrshire.

Hamalainen said: “Going to Kilmarnock was a big thing. It would be disappointing not to return. It is probably the first time I have had the chance to play every game during a season and be playing in the top team.

“Training all through the week, getting my body right and mentality right to play game on game.

“I also wasn’t used to playing in front of fans. All this has come together to improve me.

“I feel it has matured me a lot. It has made me a man as a footballer. In my career, it’s been a tremendous step.

“I have thought about a scenario where I might not ever get back to play for Killie in the future, but I try not to.

“There’s nothing anyone can do at the moment, there isn’t even a date for returning, so I’m really without any idea right now.”

Hamalainen is currently holed up with his family in the USA as he embraces lockdown in the Florida sunshine. He said: “I flew back home to America when football stopped.

“As a US passport holder, I was able to return to the States without a problem. I’m back in West Palm Beach right now with my parents and my sister.

“In the morning, I drive to go and train a little bit and all I can see is clear skies, sunshine and palm trees everywhere.

“Things are slowly opening back up, but there is still plenty of lockdown, so the situation is kind of the same as it is in the UK.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5557615/niko-hamalainen-gutted-miss-out-kilmarnock-return/

Just now, Pride_of_ayrshire said:

I'd love to have him back. He's a good left back filled the shoes of Taylor pretty well and his first touch is brilliant. Plus QPR have 2 Left backs anyway so we could get him back.

And we'd need him back with Hendrie and Waters out of contract adds them to the list of hundreds at the club.

Think Waters signed an extension before going back to St Mirren for the second half of the season.

1 hour ago, stewarty66 said:

Personally I thought he looked great first 3 or 4 games. 

However over the course of his whole period I was disappointed. 

Very weak defensively, great going forward until his final ball. 

It's a no from me. 

I totally agree with you wasn’t impressed when I saw him first

4 hours ago, stewarty66 said:

Personally I thought he looked great first 3 or 4 games. 

However over the course of his whole period I was disappointed. 

Very weak defensively, great going forward until his final ball. 

It's a no from me. 

I agree. To start with he really did make me feel we wouldn’t miss Greg Taylor, but suddenly he seemed to go back several steps. Defensively he definitely deteriorated and in attack, as you say, his final balls suddenly weren’t what they had been. Never really got it back.

After a great start he was just mistake after mistake. He was too easy beat and his final ball wasn't great at all. He showed enough in his first few games that the potential is there to be a very good full back if he can iron out his problems but didn't seem to have the concentration to do it for us as time went on.

The amount of games you would watch him and think he was a contender for motm only for him to switch off and give away a goal was more often than not.

7 hours ago, Ngonge88 said:

His Debut I thought we'd got a total Gem.

Gradually got worse from there.

We've had worse full backs in the past and will have worse again. Not totally against trying to strike a deal to keep him and let him n Waters fight it out

Unless we really struggle to get a half decent left back in I can't see Waters getting game time here.

My St Mirren fan mate said Waters was an upgrade to the previous left back , whatever that means . I’d take Nico back . I think a lot of players will realise that in these uncertain times for football they’ll need to try and play at their best if they want a deal .

2 hours ago, stewarty66 said:

Out of the loan players we had I would only keep Dario Del Fabro. 

How Broadfoot got a game ahead of him baffles me. 

Under Alessio Del Fabro was brilliant. But I thought Del Fabto started making quite a few mistakes. Him and SOD seemed to have problems at times as well. 

But in general I'd 100% keep him if he wanted to stay 

On 5/6/2020 at 9:28 AM, Fletch said:

After a great start he was just mistake after mistake. He was too easy beat and his final ball wasn't great at all. He showed enough in his first few games that the potential is there to be a very good full back if he can iron out his problems but didn't seem to have the concentration to do it for us as time went on.

The amount of games you would watch him and think he was a contender for motm only for him to switch off and give away a goal was more often than not.

I wonder if there was some competition from Waters or someone else, his concentration might improve? By all accounts, Hendrie isn’t providing meaningful competition.

23 minutes ago, Jimmy Superscot said:

I wonder if there was some competition from Waters or someone else, his concentration might improve? By all accounts, Hendrie isn’t providing meaningful competition.

I don't think any of the three are good enough currently. Left back must be one of our priority positions.

• 3 months later...
On 5/5/2020 at 1:07 PM, Pride_of_ayrshire said:

I'd love to have him back. He's a good left back filled the shoes of Taylor pretty well and his first touch is brilliant. Plus QPR have 2 Left backs anyway so we could get him back.

And we'd need him back with Hendrie and Waters out of contract adds them to the list of hundreds at the club.

he’s better than what we have now