Ground share

CBFC

There is every possibility that some clubs may not survive this current world crisis. 

How would you feel if another club (not necessarily in A*rshire) asked to groundshare with us to cut costs for the medium term?

Could be Hamilton, St Mirren, Motherwell, Stranraer etc. ( yes and possibly A*r)

Edited by CBFC

5 minutes ago, CBFC said:

There is every possibility that some clubs may not survive this current world crisis. 

How would you feel if another club (not necessarily in A*rshire) asked to groundshare with us to cut costs for the medium term?

Could be Hamilton, St Mirren, Motherwell, Stranraer etc. ( yes and possibly A*r)

Wouldnt mind it extra cash for the club.

23 minutes ago, CBFC said:

As long as it wasn't sevco. 

How do you see this need arising?

If it's because they need to sell their ground, it's not going to be a short to medium term tenancy. And a long-term ground-share would only dilute our identity, I think.

If ground-sharing is going to become a thing, it would be better to sell two grounds, eg in Dundee, and build one new joint stadium.

I feel that these tenancies, the likes of which Clyde and Hamilton had at Firhill, are not a great solution to a problem. In our case, any tenant club would be moving some distance from their traditional home base.

The exception would be Ayr, who have "borrowed" RP in the past. 

Edited by skygod

24 minutes ago, CBFC said:

Not sure how I would feel about it, might make some financial sense, but cant see why St Mirren with a newish purpose built stadium with a realistic capacity and all the infrastructure there would be one of the Clubs looking to share

4 minutes ago, skygod said:

If it's because they need to sell their ground, it's not going to be a short to medium term tenancy. And a long-term ground-share would only dilute our identity, I think.

If ground-sharing is going to become a thing, it would be better to sell two grounds, eg in Dundee, and build one new joint stadium.

I feel that these tenancies, the likes of which Clyde and Hamilton had at Firhill, are not a great solution to a problem.

Maybe mothball their stadium until they have some sense of financial stability. Reduces outgoings and ground staff costs. Business rates and maintenance reduced. Just thought I would throw it open for opinions.

5 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

Not sure how I would feel about it, might make some financial sense, but cant see why St Mirren with a newish purpose built stadium with a realistic capacity and all the infrastructure there would be one of the Clubs looking to share

Just reasonably local clubs. That's all.

Don’t see relevance that ground share would help any club in short term unless they were to sell off their own ground ..... or if they were currently only renting a stadium and could easily get out of any contact with the owners....also they would need to fund a renting fee for the ground they wish to move too etc 

Think you will see in short term major cutbacks first at a lot of clubs as they seek to reduce costs as much as possible ....be that smaller playing squads, not offering signing on fees or longer contracts for any new players or even extending deals at a lower wage for existing ones ,  reducing off the pitch staff and cutting back on youth investment and proposed new capital programmes 

Edited by Scouser2

9 minutes ago, skygod said:

I feel that these tenancies, the likes of which Clyde and Hamilton had at Firhill, are not a great solution to a problem.

Is the San Siro owned by the local council and Internationale and AC Milan ground share? I might be wrong in that.

20 hours ago, CBFC said:

Drivell 

I think it is much more likely that the changes we see will affect the livelihoods of players themselves. A first team wage for a club like us in the SPFL may drop from 2k per week to something like £500-£750 a week...still a liveable wage but without much of an opportunity an opportunity to build up money for after their career. I'd imagine the prediction above that youth investment will suffer is probably also accurate with paid roles replaced by volunteers etc...this is what will hit the national game the hardest. 

Given we are now realistically looking at October for football restarting we need to go to Sky/BT and see if a deal could be struck in the interim for all games to be televised (probably at unusual kick off times to help fill their schedules) in a way where it is financially viable to get games on again. I doubt it would be viable though given their lack of investment in our game to date compared to other leagues...but without some sort of deal struck I imagine we will be a good few clubs down by the time things start up again. Thankfully, I feel fairly confident we won't be one of those missing, having so few players under contract will work in our favour. 

Many businesses are already looking at changing their business model within their sector and within their own structure. Football will have to do the same.

I think some clubs may have to sell assets to survive, their ground and/or adjacent land being the one with the most value in most cases. If that is the case then we will see ground sharing more and more. Indeed, 4G pitches are ideal to enable this to happen so RP could be a big draw - assuming we don't have to sell our ground of course. Other than Ayr and local junior clubs, i think our location makes it difficult for any practical ground share with a larger team so can't really see us losing our identity. The clubs using the facilities would have that to contend with.

Realistically, i can't see it happening at RP for any length of time. Ayr could use Dam Park, albeit I know the rugby club are meant to be moving there, and juniors are more likely to stay closer to their important community bases. Vics could use Meadow Park or Portland Park at a push - but no guarantee that Meadow Park wouldn't need to be sold - it's all a great unknown right now.

Further afield i would not rule it out, certainly in Dundee, maybe Lanarkshire but probably more in England. I very much doubt we will have 42 'pro' clubs in Scotland in 5 to 10 years.