Killie v Sheffield Wednesday 2001, help please

3GAKAS

1 hour ago, Rondo said:

I remember going to Gus' testimonial match and thinking what a pitiful attendance - 2,145 - for a guy who was a great servant to our club.

Friday night, pre-season, uninspiring opposition - I expect these were all factors. 

Without checking, I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a substantial number of fringe players and reserves in the Wednesday team. No household names, outside of Simon Donnelly’s hoose. 

4 minutes ago, skygod said:

Friday night, pre-season, uninspiring opposition - I expect these were all factors. 

Without checking, I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a substantial number of fringe players and reserves in the Wednesday team. No household names, outside of Simon Donnelly’s hoose. 

Hadn't Gus already left us for dunfermline? Might have put a few off.

1 hour ago, skygod said:

Absolutely right; Friday night, Sheffield Wednesday, season not started and as stated at the time: Only 2145 customers bothered to help Gus MacPherson receive a profitable send off from Rugby Park in his testimonial against Sheffield Wednesday.

The veteran defender perhaps paid for his close-season defection to Scottish Premier League rivals Dunfermline Athletic having turned down Kilmarnocks offer of a new contract. MacPherson could only play for three minutes of the rather dull 0-0 draw because of injury sustained during his new club Dunfermline’s pre-season trip.

Legendary status somewhat soured perhaps?

"Kilmarnock's out-of-contract defender Gus MacPherson yesterday ended speculation over his future and signed a three-year deal with Dunfermline. McPherson, 32, revealed that contract negotiations with the Rugby Park club had broken down irreparably after they refused to offer him a pay rise as he entered his testimonial year."

telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/4777287/New-signing-is-real-bargain-says-Advocaat.html