Paul Wrights last game

RayD

14 hours ago, CB said:

Home Scottish cup v hibs. 10/03/01 lost 1-0

Away vs hearts 14/03/01 lost 3-0

The best striker I have seen at RP (IMO), some wonderful goals, cup final winner, penalty to keep us in Europe, lob over leighton at easter road and so on. great stuff Bunion.

13 minutes ago, Killie alan said:

In the modern age yes but you can’t beat the late great Eddie Morrison

Eddie was a great striker granted, and his pairing with Ross Mathie was as good a pairing as I can recall.

My top three overall would be Kris Boyd, Andy Kerr and Paul Wright

18 minutes ago, jbm1965 said:

Eddie was a great striker granted, and his pairing with Ross Mathie was as good a pairing as I can recall.

My top three overall would be Kris Boyd, Andy Kerr and Paul Wright

Never saw Andy Kerr my father used to say he would nothing for most of the game but then he would pop up with a goal or two. Yes your right about boydy and Paul Wright 

Eddie is a club legend and still one of the top goalscorers ever but I think Wright was a better all-round player.

Their strike rates for Killie are very similar but a lot of Eddie's goals were scored outside of the top division. On the other hand, Eddie never took penalty kicks.

Eddie was definitely better in the air. I don’t recall many Wright headers. 

Best to say that they were both great players and leave it at that! 

Edited by skygod

3 minutes ago, Killie alan said:

Never saw Andy Kerr my father used to say he would nothing for most of the game but then he would pop up with a goal or two. Yes your right about boydy and Paul Wright 

I probably saw Andy playing quite a number of times but none of his goals ever left me with any visual memory at the time.  The things which stuck out were that he was capable of scoring from the most unexpected opportunities (obviously baffled defenders as well) and the write ups in the papers over the following couple of days.  One of my great regrets is that I turned down the opportunity to go to a game against Airdrie (1962 I think, and for a reason that's long forgotten)  Andy scored 5 that day in a 8-0 victory.

I was at the Airdrie game as well as Falkirk (9-2) and Ross County (7 - something, probably 0!).

I remember when Kerr signed for Sunderland we wondered who would score the goals but it all turned out fine! 

I can't remember much about him, to be honest. His goals seemed to usually be from close range, one touch - nothing spectacular. He just had that knack of being in the right place to turn the ball in.

Strange to think that he was capped as a right-back before Thistle converted him to a striker. Even then, he was nothing spectacular until he signed from Killie from Man City. 

1 hour ago, Killie alan said:

In the modern age yes but you can’t beat the late great Eddie Morrison

I agree he was my favourite striker growing up , his memory was sullied imo on becoming manager . Iirc he only bought his kids ice cream on a Saturday night if Killie had won that day . Unfortunately they had to do without their dessert quite often . 

3 hours ago, red_dug said:

Wrights career was all the more remarkable given the horriffic injury he had. That was often a career ender in those days.

That brace at Easter Road in the cup will live with me forever. 2 brilliant finishes against an International goalkeeper.

I might be wrong but I think he was still getting over injury when he first signed for us, so he wasn't exactly firing on all cylinders in his early games (and he took some abuse for it). Alex Totten knew what he could do though and believed in him and what a player he became for us.

3 hours ago, Bonbon19 said:

....(Eddie Morrison’s) memory was sullied imo on becoming manager . . 

Not in my eyes. 

The club was a basket case with no money and a moribund board. 

He probably only took the job because of his love for the club (despite the poor way he left as a player). 

30 minutes ago, skygod said:

Not in my eyes. 

The club was a basket case with no money and a moribund board. 

He probably only took the job because of his love for the club (despite the poor way he left as a player). 

This is true he had 2 loves in his Killie and Greenock Morton

1 hour ago, red_dug said:

Any idea what PWs last goal for Killie was?

He scored a penalty in the match before the Hibs one, a 2-1 Cup replay win over ICT at RP.

Last league goals were the hat-trick at foggy Love Street on Boxing Day 2000.

He finished the season with eight league goals from 15 (10) appearances, one Scottish  Cup goal from 2 (1) appearances and failed to score in 3 (1) League Cup appearances (we lost to Celtic in the final).