Kabamba interview

skygod

Nicke Kabamba makes Kilmarnock prediction as he reveals Alex Dyer's greatest quality  

Nicke reckons Kilmarnock are destined to do great things again under the leadership of Alex Dyer.

The striker believes the extensive managerial qualities of his fellow Londoner give the Ayrshire outfit every chance of getting back into the higher echelons of the Scottish game in the near future.

Dyer was assistant boss to Steve Clarke at Rugby Park when Killie charged into third spot in the table this time a year ago and is now the main man after the departure of Italian Angelo Alessio.

Killie chiefs are keen to give Dyer the opportunity to extend his stay in the role into season 2020-21 and Kabamba would not argue with that plan for a single second.

The 27-year-old has lifted the lid on the skills of the Scotland No.2 having seen his confidence soar within just a few weeks of working for him.

Dyer signed Kabamba in January on an 18-month deal and the payback was instant with goals in his first two games against Queen’s Park and Celtic contributing to a four in 12 ratio before football’s shutdown.

The-ex Portsmouth hitman puts his ability to hit the ground running in the Premiership down squarely to Dyer and said: “The manager is right up there in a variety of ways.

“In terms of man-management, he knows just how to get the best out of individuals. It’s an old saying but some players need different things to get motivated to be at their best.

“The fact he is the one who gave me this opportunity at Kilmarnock and played me straight away is a big bonus for me.

“When someone like that gives you a chance, you feel as though you have to take it with both hands and I feel as though I have done so as best I could.

“He has boosted my confidence and he motivates all of us.

“If you have a manager like that backing you, you are destined for great things.”

Dyer built his connection with the squad as Clarke’s lieutenant and Kabamba continued: “You can speak with the gaffer and he’ll always tell you the truth. That’s what you want.

“We finished third in the league a couple of years ago and the club has that mentality to achieve success.

“I’ve always wanted to be part of a winning team. If you were to go into our changing room, you would feel that amongst everyone.”

Kabamba has settled instantly into his life at Rugby Park and says the openness of his team-mates has been crucial. 

Although apart at the moment due to the Covid-19 lockdown, the Killie squad are maintaining their spirits with a steady stream of Zoom calls.

Kabamba said: “The calls are so funny, especially with people just cutting their own hair. Some have cut all theirs off.

“Others have gotten their partner to get the No.1 out. Everyone will be almost bald when we come back for training.

“Seriously, the calls are really important because you get to speak to everyone and see how everyone is.

“We are missing the togetherness.” 

As well as team-mates, Kabamba has been blown away by the warmth of the people at all levels of the club.

He added: “The set-up is brilliant. Everyone is so welcoming and I’ve felt at home immediately.

“When you move to a new area, it’s important to fit in and the staff and players has been brilliant. The camaraderie is fantastic and it hasn’t felt like a transition in life because everyone has made it so easy.

“I’ve been fortunate in my career that all of the clubs I have been at I’ve managed to fit in and it’s a key factor.

“It’s part of football to have big characters in every dressing room, but it’s the togetherness we have and the morale which is really special.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/nicke-kabamba-makes-kilmarnock-prediction-22029134