End of season

LS180312

That’s the league officially ended with Celtic champions and Hearts relegated. Not the season we wanted after the last couple of years which makes a big Summer of rebuilding needed. 

We will miss the away points at Tynecastle next season, our away form was awful this year. Hopefully some younger players in, but realistically who knows what next season will look like? If there are no fans I don’t understand how we could pay players without the match day revenue. 

5 minutes ago, LS180312 said:

That’s the league officially ended with Celtic champions and Hearts relegated. Not the season we wanted after the last couple of years which makes a big Summer of rebuilding needed. 

We will miss the away points at Tynecastle next season, our away form was awful this year. Hopefully some younger players in, but realistically who knows what next season will look like? If there are no fans I don’t understand how we could pay players without the match day revenue. 

I suspect next season will be truncated as well so I think they should decide what will happen in such an event. I would guess they will use this season as a precedent.

The last game that was played in the league this season was on 11th March when St Mirren beat Hearts 1-0.

At the time none of them would have realised just how important that game was.

If the result had been the other way round then St Mirren would have been bottom of the league on goals scored.

Edited by historyman

Hopefully this dreadful virus will be overcome ASAP and can get back to enjoying football at RP again..

For many reasons 2019/20 will not be a season too fondly remembered , though did see a few very good results ....looking back this time last year there was so much to look forward as a supporter too even after losing SSC .European trips , chance to build on success  etc.....but due to various failures the football and decisions made let us down ...BUT main thing is we are still in top league and hopefully the board have learnt lessons 

Loans and contracts will coming to an end will mean whenever football does start back in Scotland we will have a very different squad,

of those leaving will be some players who will be quickly forgotten and add to likes of Sow and Jackson as strange signings having no positive effect ....but do feel sorry for a number of players who did contribute and gave their all but who will leave the club in this strange way

Edited by Scouser2

45 minutes ago, stewarty66 said:

Had a little look on the Jambos Kickback. 

I think its safe to say they are not happy. 

Although some clown has started a thread about them applying to join the English league. 

Ha ha ha ha , dont let the door hit them on the arse on the way out ya absolute clowns.

I think ultimately, 8th is probably where we would have finished had the season been played to a normal conclusion (maybe 7th). When we look back at the months of December and January, and that 7 game losing streak, when it seemed that we were in trouble, 8th probably isn't too bad, considering all the upheaval.

The problem with their calling the League now is that it will rumble on for months-Hearts trying either legal means (no chance), or getting reconstruction back on the table, and the whole Celtic-Rangers...its '9 in a row/no its no' etc.

According to the release, it was unanimous that the league should end. Meaning even hearts and rangers agreed.

PREMIERSHIP CLUBS REACH UNANIMOUS AGREEMENT THAT TOP FLIGHT CANNOT BE FINISHED

The SPFL has today announced that, following consultation with all 12 top-flight clubs, the Board of the SPFL has determined that the 2019/20 Ladbrokes Premiership has been concluded with immediate effect.

As with the Ladbrokes Championship, Ladbrokes League One and Ladbrokes League Two competitions, final season placings have been determined by points per game in league matches played to 13 March 2020 by each club.

The decision means that Celtic are crowned 2019/20 champions and Hearts have been relegated to the Ladbrokes Championship. The final placings in full can be seen below:

Screenshot_2020-05-18-14-14-55_1.jpg

SPFL chairman Murdoch MacLennan said: “Firstly, I would like to take this opportunity to officially congratulate Celtic on their achievement of winning the Ladbrokes Premiership this season, and also to sincerely commiserate with Hearts on their relegation.

“We would all have rather seen the league season played out on pitches, in stadiums and in front of supporters. This is not the way anybody involved with Scottish football would have wanted to conclude the league season but, given the grave and unprecedented circumstances that we are facing, the Board has agreed that it is the only practical way forward.

“Covid-19 has wreaked havoc on sporting competitions around the world and the repercussions will be felt for a long time. Scottish Government restrictions and deep concerns for both player and spectator safety left the SPFL with no realistic option but to call the Ladbrokes Premiership now and we thank the Premiership clubs for their support on this decision.”

SPFL chief executive Neil Doncaster said: “On Friday, Ladbrokes Premiership clubs expressed their clear and unanimous view that there was no realistic prospect of completing the outstanding fixtures from Season 2019/20.  The SPFL Board met this morning and in line with the express agreement of member clubs in April, the Board determined that League Season 2019/20 and the Ladbrokes Premiership be brought to an end.

“This decision now enables us to pay out around £7 million in fees to help clubs stay afloat during this incredibly difficult time. We will begin processing these payments immediately.

“The focus of all those involved in the game will now turn to how we get football up and running again safely as soon as possible.  Next season’s Betfred Cup first round group stage is scheduled to begin in mid-July, with coverage from Premier Sports.  The 2020/21 League Season in all four of our Divisions is due to commence on 1 August, which coincides with the start of our new and exclusive five-year broadcasting deal with Sky Sports.

“Nobody should be under any illusion as to how complicated and difficult a challenge it will be to return Scottish football to normality. We will be liaising with Government on the best way forward and working to ensure that all of our 42 clubs are playing football again as soon as humanly possible.”

https://spfl.co.uk/news/ladbrokes-premiership-and-spfl-season-201920-cur

1 hour ago, Jedi2 said:

I think ultimately, 8th is probably where we would have finished had the season been played to a normal conclusion (maybe 7th).

I’m mixed about this. Part of me thinks we would have had enough in us and  finished about 8th. I am breathing a sigh of relief as well though as I’m not 100% convinced we wouldn’t have hibsed it and got dragged into the dogfight. The St Mirren game the weekend everything stopped was massive. 

5 minutes ago, Killiepies said:

This will run on .Hearts will probably take legal action unless they have been promised some sort of reconstruction .Funny how it's back on the table seemingly 

I’ve held the opinion for a while that daft as it sounds relegation suits Hearts. Make enough fuss but concede with a whimper. They’ve a huge squad on high wages not cutting it. Going down let’s them have a clear out probably without having to pay out huge compensation. They’ll get their house in order and fans who were beginning to turn back onside. 

3 hours ago, stewarty66 said:

Had a little look on the Jambos Kickback. 

I think its safe to say they are not happy. 

Although some clown has started a thread about them applying to join the English league. 

Aye the Newcastle district league that’s their level silly chunts , mind you I like going to tynecastle it’s a good day on the booze , we take a good support and normally win , I’d rather it was Ross county or at Johnstone going down 

3 hours ago, Scouser2 said:

Hopefully this dreadful virus will be overcome ASAP and can get back to enjoying football at RP again..

For many reasons 2019/20 will not be a season too fondly remembered , though did see a few very good results ....looking back this time last year there was so much to look forward as a supporter too even after losing SSC .European trips , chance to build on success  etc.....but due to various failures the football and decisions made let us down ...BUT main thing is we are still in top league and hopefully the board have learnt lessons 

Loans and contracts will coming to an end will mean whenever football does start back in Scotland we will have a very different squad,

of those leaving will be some players who will be quickly forgotten and add to likes of Sow and Jackson as strange signings having no positive effect ....but do feel sorry for a number of players who did contribute and gave their all but who will leave the club in this strange way

It was a massive disappointment after last season. 
I didn’t think we would replicate that but I didn’t think we would lose to a Welsh pub team in Europe, sack the ‘best manager in Scotland’, release and then resign Broadfoot and fail to make the top six. 
Who knows where we go from here, not just our club and the playing staff but the game in Scotland in general. 
I think the only near certainty is that when a bit of normality returns we will have less professional clubs than we do now. 

5 minutes ago, historyman said:

It was a massive disappointment after last season. 
I didn’t think we would replicate that but I didn’t think we would lose to a Welsh pub team in Europe, sack the ‘best manager in Scotland’, release and then resign Broadfoot and fail to make the top six. 
Who knows where we go from here, not just our club and the playing staff but the game in Scotland in general. 
I think the only near certainty is that when a bit of normality returns we will have less professional clubs than we do now. 

I dont envy motherwell or Aberdeens euro adventures next season if its allowed fans to travel

1 hour ago, Killiepies said:

This will run on .Hearts will probably take legal action unless they have been promised some sort of reconstruction .Funny how it's back on the table seemingly 

Not just Hearts if the Scotsman's twitter feed is to be believed!

scotsman twitter.jpg

Why not finish the season? If the reason is we cant afford/able to play games behind closed doors then we might aswell cancel next season too. 

Fans wont be allowed back into grounds this year So how can we Start a new season? 

Hibs a point above St Johnston(who have a game in hand) but St Johnston finish 6th seems unfair.

Hope the SPFL have a few million in the bank when sky come calling for a partial refund of their money!!!!

Scary times ahead for all clubs, ok in the EPL they have money to throw at it. We have furloughed our players. For how long who knows

5 hours ago, andy123 said:

Why not finish the season? If the reason is we cant afford/able to play games behind closed doors then we might as well cancel next season too. 

It's nothing to do with that.

The public health situation doesn't allow for matches to be played. Have you see the protocol required to enable Germany football to be played? Players in quarantine in hotels. Testing every few days. Scottish football doesn't have the resources to operate under these restrictions, even if the FM allowed it.  

Edited by skygod