What are we left with

piffer

In terms of squad where do we stand? Loan players gone already? Others likely to leave by 1st of June?

Dicker has said that a lot of players have a years option in their deals. Will some of them have featured enough to trigger that. 

Findlay, Broadfoot, Waters, Thomas, Power, Brophy, Kabamba under contract. Anymore?

That’s not a lot. Do Kiltie and Frizzell still have another year? 

Can’t believe that Thomas is still here. Seems to have been around for ever. When he signed he must have been given one of the longest contracts at the club. Big mistake, he’s done nothing. 

When things get started again Fowler is really going to have to earn his wage. 

Edited by historyman

13 minutes ago, historyman said:

Can’t believe that Thomas is still here. Seems to have been around for ever. When he signed he must have been given one of the longest contracts at the club. Big mistake, he’s done nothing. 

Both I think are out of contract. Whether they have a years option I don’t know. If those options are based on appearances they could be cutting it fine. Has Frizzell played for us this season.

I think Thomas comes under the good to have about the place banner. He’s done well on loan and comes back making no impact. 

49 minutes ago, historyman said:

Can’t believe that Thomas is still here. Seems to have been around for ever. When he signed he must have been given one of the longest contracts at the club. 

I don’t know if you’re being serious, but he was given a three-year contract in 2017 and Alessio extended it by a year last summer. 

1 hour ago, skygod said:

I don’t know if you’re being serious, but he was given a three-year contract in 2017 and Alessio extended it by a year last summer. 

Totally serious. That will mean he’s been at RP for 3 years already and it could 4  years before he moves on. That will make him one of the longest serving players at the club and he’s still only played less than 30 games.  What a ridiculous decision by Alessio to give him an extra year. 

4 hours ago, historyman said:

Frizzel is pish 

It's clear we're threadbare when the loanees leave over the next month.

As correctly stated above, we're left with Findlay, Broadfoot, Waters, Power, Thomas, Brophy and Kabamba.

1. Let's hope we keep what we have but there  must be some doubt about Findlay and Brophy. Hopefully, the uncertainty over Covid-19 means they stay put.

2. We look within the club at who we'd want to re-sign.

Burke has indicated he'd like to stay. Sign him.

O'Donnell's options (again due to Covid-19) have obviously diminished. Try and sign him.

Gary Dicker. Convince him to do one more year.

Rory Mackenzie. Don't think he'd take much convincing on a new contract. Sign him.

Mohamed El Makrini. Don't know what he feels about it but I'd try and get him for another year.

Ross Millen. Decent cover and, depending on O'Donnell, possible starter. I'd even consider pushing O'Donnell into right-mid and playing Millen behind him.

Greg Kiltie. Unlucky with injuries and been messed around with by various managers. Might want away but I'd give him another year to see if he becomes the player weall know was in there.

3. Four reasonably promising youngsters in Innes Cameron, Ally Taylor, Luke Barlow and Kyle Connell. Get them secured. Keep Curtis Lyle around as a back-up  but not a 1st team keeper.

4. Even if all that comes to fruition, we're still 4 or 5 short.

Big need: Goalkeeper. St.Mirren are struggling to hold on to the boy Vaclav Hladky. Can we offer him something better financially or in long-term prospects?

Big need: Creative midfielder/Deep-lying striker. I know it's difficult (for us and him) but is there mileage in Greg Stewart?

Big need: A major (by our standards) signing just to get everyone fired up after last season's damp squib. I know Rangers are talking about Lyndon Dykes - is it paper talk? Could we land him? Nobody (yet) has picked up the big lad, Nisbet, at Dunfermline. Is his injury in March putting them off? Can we land him?

Any other suggestions?

Edited by McDicken'sLeftPeg

The fact that we didn’t look at players like Dykes and Gallacher who is now at Well last season shows our badly prepared we were for Clarke’s departure. 
I would resign Burke O’Donnell McKenzie and Kiltie from your list. I don’t think Dicker will do another year of travelling and being away from his family. Would keep Mullen as cover only. 
Would be happy to get Stewart (and Jones for that matter) back but they will still be under contract at Sevco on bigger money than we will be able to offer and I doubt we will pay a fee for anyone. They join the long list of players whose career has stalled / been ruined by Sevco. 
Dyer and Fowler certainly have their work cut out to build a squad but they won’t be very different from the rest of the other clubs. It’s going to be a very strange and potentially long close season and transfer window. 

I was totally smashed on the forum last year for suggesting we should be looking at Gallacher. Centre back pairing of Gallacher and Findlay would have been awesome.

You're right about our lack of preparation for Clarke leaving. It's my one minor criticism of his record here. He should have ensured there was more in place for his departure.  Planning for the following season should be done a minimum of 6 months in advance.

If we have the funds, I don't imagine Burke, McKenzie, El Mek etc will be difficult. 

My guess is that most clubs are going to sign up the players they have as a first step because there is going to be so much uncertainty. Better the devil you know etc. 

Timing might be massive in all of this. Aberdeen have season ticket money and more money generally, so it may be they can offer SoD something now that we couldnt commit to until later and that forces his hand. 

Jim Goodwin said on the radio they had six targets who they could go for the second they had certainty in terms of what money will be coming in. I hope Fowler has us in a similar position. 

Someone like Nesbit is going to be in a really interesting position as I can't see that league starting this year. We might see all sorts of players released from sides here and in England whose leagues can't start. 

18 minutes ago, mitch14 said:

If we have the funds, I don't imagine Burke, McKenzie, El Mek etc will be difficult. 

My guess is that most clubs are going to sign up the players they have as a first step because there is going to be so much uncertainty. Better the devil you know etc. 

Timing might be massive in all of this. Aberdeen have season ticket money and more money generally, so it may be they can offer SoD something now that we couldnt commit to until later and that forces his hand. 

Jim Goodwin said on the radio they had six targets who they could go for the second they had certainty in terms of what money will be coming in. I hope Fowler has us in a similar position. 

Someone like Nesbit is going to be in a really interesting position as I can't see that league starting this year. We might see all sorts of players released from sides here and in England whose leagues can't start. 

Interesting point about lower leagues not even starting up in the new season.

Assuming Budge doesn't get her reconstruction and Hearts are messed up by a non-start, might there be a couple to pick off there?

Dare I say the name... Naismith?

Players like Naismith, Halkett and Souttar who have international ambitions are not going to want to sit on their arses for 9 months - even if it's on bigger money.

Edited by McDicken'sLeftPeg

4 hours ago, historyman said:

Totally serious. That will mean he’s been at RP for 3 years already and it could 4  years before he moves on. That will make him one of the longest serving players at the club and he’s still only played less than 30 games.  What a ridiculous decision by Alessio to give him an extra year. 

It wasn't a bad decision by Alessio at all. He rated him and he featured in most of his squads.  New manager obviously doesn't see a place for him but  that's not Thomas' fault. It has worked the other way for Kiltie, Alessio showed him the door but Dyer has probably given him enough game time to offer a new contract.

49 minutes ago, McDicken'sLeftPeg said:

Assuming Budge doesn't get her reconstruction and Hearts are messed up by a non-start, might there be a couple to pick off there?

Players like Naismith, Halkett and Souttar who have international ambitions are not going to want to sit on their arses for 9 months - even if it's on bigger money.

Naismith has said he'll be at Hearts next season come what may i think. 

48 minutes ago, McDicken'sLeftPeg said:

Naismith - no chance. Too many injuries and allegedly an artificial surface would just make them worse. Would love a fit Naisy at RP though, but that ship has sailed. 

Halkett- great at Livi and was probably one of their top players this season. Mind you that's not difficult. 

Souttar- got bags of potential but seems to switch off at times. Stuart Findlay is a better defender by far. (crazy tackles apart) 

13 minutes ago, stewarty66 said:

Naismith - no chance. Too many injuries and allegedly an artificial surface would just make them worse. Would love a fit Naisy at RP though, but that ship has sailed. 

Halkett- great at Livi and was probably one of their top players this season. Mind you that's not difficult. 

Souttar- got bags of potential but seems to switch off at times. Stuart Findlay is a better defender by far. (crazy tackles apart) 

So, assuming any of this was possible.. what would you prefer as first choice?

Findlay and Broadfoot

Findlay and Halkett

Findlay and Souttar

39 minutes ago, MrTumnus said:

It wasn't a bad decision by Alessio at all. He rated him and he featured in most of his squads.  New manager obviously doesn't see a place for him but  that's not Thomas' fault. It has worked the other way for Kiltie, Alessio showed him the door but Dyer has probably given him enough game time to offer a new contract.

It looks like a daft decision by Alessio considering he still had a year left on his contract. He wasn’t even a regular starter. Alessio could have waited until he had proved himself before committing to a decision. If it was designed to give him confidence then it didn’t work as I certainly didn’t see anything in the first few months of the season that resulted in me hoping the club would extend his contract.
The player isn’t good enough. Thomas has had three years to nail down a starting place in some poor squads and he hasn’t managed to do so. 
I would take Kiltie over him any day of the week. There is no comparison. 

Edited by historyman

1 minute ago, skyhigh said:

Liam Boyce is the player ye want to grab from Hearts. 

Absolutely. Presumably on big money but, again, depends on how important international career is to him. No guarantees, of course, that Hearts (especially if they have people leave over a delayed start to Championship) would get promotion at first time of asking. ICT, A*r, Dundee and Dunfermline might do better holding on to players and give them a run for their money.

If lower leagues are suspended for a longer period than Premier, it could really throw things up in the air. How long could Hearts keep that expensive squad together with no income coming in?