What are we left with

piffer

1 hour ago, mitch14 said:

Timing might be massive in all of this. Aberdeen have season ticket money and more money generally, so it may be they can offer SoD something now that we couldnt commit to until later and that forces his hand. 

Jim Goodwin said on the radio they had six targets who they could go for the second they had certainty in terms of what money will be coming in. I hope Fowler has us in a similar position. 

Aberdeen signed another right back in January and still have Logan. One rumour up there at the time was SOD backed out of a deal as he didn’t fancy moving/commuting. I can’t decide if this whole situation has strengthened or weakened our position with SOD. On Aberdeen they seem to be all over the place. One minute Cormack is saying they are in a strong position then he’s bemoaning a loss or lack of money.

I agree with you regarding having targets in mind. The flaw with this is no permanent manager at the moment. Fowler had targets in January who Dyer knocked backed as he didn’t think they’d fit for a variety of reasons. Dyer has been involved up until now but what if he’s not the manager next year and has helped identify players the new manager wouldnt want.

9 minutes ago, piffer said:

I agree with you regarding having targets in mind. The flaw with this is no permanent manager at the moment. Fowler had targets in January who Dyer knocked backed as he didn’t think they’d fit for a variety of reasons. Dyer has been involved up until now but what if he’s not the manager next year and has helped identify players the new manager wouldnt 

On your last line - that's why I think Dyer is the most pragmatic choice in this situation. Targets identified and players appear to want to play for him and stay. 

I'm still very, very wary of putting much stock by the thing about knocking players back. 

The strong impression I got from the various interviews afterwards was that it was something akin to saying no to a few backup options of the Ndjoli mould and Dyer chose to trust in what we had. 

I haven't seen anything to suggest that players who could have made a material difference were knocked back. Unless anyone knows anything to the contrary, I don't think there's much in it and it's one of those throwaway lines that has taken on legs it shouldn't have. 

Main thing is we are still in the top league , but there is a big task over the summer in terms of squad recruitment and this time after major flaws in the last 2 transfer windows ,the club need to get it right and hopefully they will even in the current circumstances .

Some vital areas especially in terms of a keeper and defence need quality additions 

Edited by Scouser2

51 minutes ago, Killjoy1869 said:

62EBF63C-842C-41A3-8C6C-DA8DDA189BDE.png

Ross Millen and Jamie MacDonald have found themselves in a fortunate position. No other club in flight would deem them good enough for their teams yet in current situation we have no other players in their position so they will get a deal. 

2 hours ago, stewarty66 said:

Although he has been injury ravaged I liked the look of Pete Haring their midfielder. 

Remember him basically running their midfield when we played them in 1-1 daw at Tynecastle midweek just before the beast from the East arrived 

Is there not talk of him having to retire? A botched surgery or something?

57 minutes ago, DuncD said:

Ross Millen and Jamie MacDonald have found themselves in a fortunate position. No other club in flight would deem them good enough for their teams yet in current situation we have no other players in their position so they will get a deal. 

I wouldn't say that about Macdonald. He is only 34 and has plenty of experience. If the management team didn't think he was good enough then they wouldn't be in talks with him about a contract. i would be happy if all players in the 'talks category' stayed but certainly for Millen in a back up capacity.

Its a disappointing situation that we have only 7 players from what would be seen as the current first team squad signed up for next season and there is not a goalkeeper among them. Pretty poor planning , I don't know when we last signed a player on a pre-contract

Edited by historyman

2 hours ago, Pride_of_ayrshire said:

Seen somewhere on Twitter were pushing for Bryson again. As much has I'd like to have him back. Dont necessarily think central midfield a big issue atm. With Power, Dicker, el Mak and Taylor

Disagree with you slightly. We have numbers in midfield but we know from this season that the Dicker/Power/El Makrini setup offers a very defensive setup and lacks that something different and more attack minded. Bryson IMO would add to the midfield but there are major questions about his fitness. It also doesn’t fit with an idea Fowler spoke of about bringing the age of the squad down a bit. 

Hladky has already been scouted by several clubs outside Scotland.

Liam Boyce is outside our wage capabilities... think he is outwith Hearts as well, pretty sure I read someone was contributing to his wages?

Thomas has always been much better coming on as a sub.  Never seems to make much impact when he starts a game.

Liked the look of Waters the couple of times I've seen him ... time to give him a run of games.

SOD had an outstanding first season but the 2nd and 3rd saw a general decrease in the standard of performance from him.

1 hour ago, chubbs said:

Hladky has already been scouted by several clubs outside Scotland.

Liam Boyce is outside our wage capabilities... think he is outwith Hearts as well, pretty sure I read someone was contributing to his wages?

Thomas has always been much better coming on as a sub.  Never seems to make much impact when he starts a game.

Liked the look of Waters the couple of times I've seen him ... time to give him a run of games.

SOD had an outstanding first season but the 2nd and 3rd saw a general decrease in the standard of performance from him.

St Mirren haven't given up on keeping Hladky yet according to their club Twitter a day or so back.

2 hours ago, Killiepies said:

Hladky is a non starter .Sevco were supposably interested and I think he would be well out our range now .It will be interesting to see if we do any business before we have a definite start date for some kind of football to resume.

*anger* are interested in every half decent player just before they play against them.

Most Hearts players, if not all, will have a relegation clause in their contracts cutting their wages or giving them the freedom to go. that will be where the bargains are. *anger* too will have to seriously reduce their squad to make way for the next raft of signing that they say they need to challenge for the title (a decent manager would be a better way to spend their debt).

Our young players i think will be breakthrough/Squad members this next season. Seems to be 3/4 players from what i can see. I don't think we will see games were more than 1/2 will start games as it takes time to evolve into first Team players. With youngsters you will get enthusiastic performances , But they can also be inconsistencies , As fans we would need to be careful in how we critique them, Same for first team players behaviour towards them,  So it might take time for them to be regular starters.

I would like to see us trying to attract players  from say the Scottish championship, I think most players are on one year contracts. If we know who the better players are, But as we have seen with Kambamba and Power their are some quality in our wage structure in the Non League in England. Theirs a guy scoring for fun at FC United who came from god knows where.  The only good thing about the shut down is the Scouting at killie must have been able to have a good look at who is going to be available.

2 minutes ago, Bigdaw said:

The only good thing about the shut down is the Scouting at killie must have been able to have a good look at who is going to be available.

How does that work when there is no football being played? Do you mean on video?

I've been thinking that the closure would have caught out clubs who hadn't finalised their wish lists, planning to watch players in the last few weeks of the season.

1 minute ago, skygod said:

How does that work when there is no football being played? Do you mean on video?

I've been thinking that the closure would have caught out clubs who hadn't finalised their wish lists, planning to watch players in the last few weeks of the season.

I ment a study of who is out of contract. checking stats , wages required , asking contacts , checking which clubs are in poor financial positions and might have to release players.