Squad Update (SOD’s away)

King

SOD is fortunate compared to the majority of out of contract players in Scotland this summer. He will be in demand and a lot of work will have been going on behind the scenes for months. Best of luck to him, we helped each other over the last 3 seasons.
Hundreds of players, many of them very young will not get another professional contract in all likelihood. Let’s get that into perspective. 

On 5/19/2020 at 8:39 PM, Ngonge88 said:

Right let's get admissions from the down voters here.

Who believes Jamie MacDonald is a good enough goalkeeper to have us fighting for top 6?

Unless you've been living on the moon for the past 4 years this particular topic has been done to death by many posters on this forum!

1 hour ago, Bbk said:

Unless you've been living on the moon for the past 4 years this particular topic has been done to death by many posters on this forum!

Like dozens of others.

I’m guessing you still think Jamie is worthy of a place, I don’t , and really fear for how we are going to come out of this, we have unrealistic general expectations of Killie due to Board comments and a manager that got us “back where we belonged” or did he? 

Stephen O'Donnell would love a chance to play in the English Championship after deciding to leave Kilmarnock but the Scotland defender is also open to staying in his home country.

The right-back has rejected the offer of a new deal at Rugby Park and is free to move on this summer.

The former Partick Thistle and Luton player rejected a January move to Oxford and has recently been linked with Dundee United,  with Celtic previously reported to have shown an interest.

Although stressing he needs to play regularly at his new club to be in a position to add to his 11 Scotland caps, the defender is open-minded about his next destination.

He told PLZ Soccer: "I would love to have a crack at the Championship down in England.

"I was fortunate I had an opportunity to go down to League One in January but I just didn't feel the timing was right. But if I feel the opportunity is the right one down there I would go there as well

"I am leaving all my options open, I just want to make sure this is the right move for me personally and professionally because when I moved back up from Luton I certainly loved being around my family, and it would need to be something I really feel I could sink my teeth into if I was to move back down south."

O'Donnell stressed he would be interested in staying in the Scottish Premiership, adding: "I am open to a new challenge, one where I will at least be competing to start, and get a good crack of the whip to prove I'm good enough."

On Celtic's reported interest, he said: "I heard a lot more rumours last summer. I have not heard anything recently. If that was to arise it would obviously be a great option to have but I don't see that being an option any time soon. But never say never, who knows what's around the corner?"

O'Donnell admitted his decision to leave Kilmarnock was made during Angelo Alessio's spell in charge.

"Every decision you make in your career is tough but I had made my mind up a wee while back that I wanted to run my contract down," he said.

"Under the old manager it was a slightly easier decision but then when Alex Dyer came in, he is someone I have a huge amount of respect for, and I love him to bits, and it made the decision certainly a lot tougher.

"However, I am looking for pastures new and I am looking forward to the next chapter of my career.

"I hold the club in great regard, I have spent three great seasons there latterly a wee bit disappointing all round, both personally and collectively, but I just feel I needed a change. I have just turned 28 and coming to a stage in my career where I want to try and achieve as much as I can.

"This has obviously come at an awkward time but hopefully when I sign up somewhere I will be able to kick on."

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/kilmarnock/news/stephen-odonnell-sets-sights-on-championship-move-after-kilmarnock-exit_399988.html

5 minutes ago, Dieter's Heeder said:

Some football fans are becoming more and more extreme in their views, especially when they're of a negative persuasion. 

Some of the s**te I've seen directed at SOD is completely OTT. 

I watched the best bits video the club put out for him. Reflecting you realise how important he has been for three seasons. IMO for an 18months spell in those seasons he was the best RB in the country. He chipped in with some crucial goals and some vital assists. That will be difficult to replace. The likes of Millen can come in for a game or two in a solid defensive unit not sure he could sustain it over a season though when we are rebuilding. 

Not to have a total continuous dig about SOD. But his comment in the paper (which could be twisted) hasnt cover him in glory.

"My mind was made up early on about wanting to run down my contract"

Doesnt look good towards killie fans who most of thought his efforts weren't his usual

'O'Donnell admitted his decision to leave Kilmarnock was made during Angelo Alessio's spell in charge'.

That explains some of his performances then. Whether he liked the tactics or not, whether he liked the manager or not and whether he decided to move on he should still have been giving 100% on the pitch and there were certainly times when he wasn't.

I've no problem with him choosing to move at the end of his contract but talking like that doesn't do him any favours.

Edited by historyman

SOD was always going to move. He even moved agents last year to help get a move. His new agent being Barry Hughes. Anyone unsure of him type his name into google. If he doesn’t want to be here then he can leave.  It’s a short career and I don’t grudge him a move. However with a young kid I can’t see him moving back down south. I also wouldn’t leave the offer on the table. I don’t want him just signing with us as he has no other options.

13 hours ago, Dieter's Heeder said:

Some football fans are becoming more and more extreme in their views, especially when they're of a negative persuasion. 

Some of the s**te I've seen directed at SOD is completely OTT. 

Football fans are a fickle bunch, we expect players to show the same loyalty to the club as we fans do, sadly going by Skydogs post it shows SOD couldn’t give a monkeys for almost a full season, and it was noticeable at times.

Once a player does this he loses the support of working guys/girls who skin themselves to follow the team, so while I won’t lambast him I can understand others that choose to vent their displeasure, I hope his new employer realises if they give him a 3 year deal that they will only get the good SOD for 2 of the years.

For all the talk about him not giving a monkey's, downing tools, not giving 100% nor having his heart in it, he played 90 (or 120) minutes of every match when fit, which was all but two.

Which tells me that he almost always made himself available for selection, and that both managers not only selected him for every match when he was available but didn't substitute him during those matches.

Either they were happy with his performances or, even if they thought he wasn't giving a monkey's etc, he was still a much better option than a player with whom the club are currently in contract negotiations. Not a raw youngster, by the way, but a 25 year-old with 170 first team appearances. 

Edited by skygod

2 minutes ago, skygod said:

For all the talk about him not giving a monkey's, downing tools, not giving 100% or having his heart in it, he played 90 (or 120) minutes of every match when fit, which was all but two.

Which tells me that he almost always made himself available for selection, and that both managers not only selected him for every match when he was available but didn't substitute him during those matches.

Either they were happy with his performances or, even if they thought he wasn't giving a monkey's etc, he was still a much better option than a player with whom the club are currently in contract negotiations. Not a raw youngster, by the way, but a 25 year-old with 170 first team appearances. 

Maybe the inconsistency of his performances last season were a result of what club's scouts were sitting in the stands each week

1 hour ago, historyman said:

Maybe the inconsistency of his performances last season were a result of what club's scouts were sitting in the stands each week

Given that the massive proportion of scouting is now done through wyescout and video that would make no sense as an approach even if you wanted to try it... 

2 hours ago, mitch14 said:

Given that the massive proportion of scouting is now done through wyescout and video that would make no sense as an approach even if you wanted to try it... 

I guess you've never read 'The Nowhere Men' by Michael Calvin. Scouts attending matches to look at particular players is still very much a part of the game and so it should be. If a club signs a player on the strength of the video then they are asking for trouble.

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 5:39 PM, red_dug said:

SOD was always going , probably to dons or arabs.

Sorry to see Ian Wilson leave, there's player in him somewhere.

Its a plus at the moment to be light on bodies but the manager situation needs sorted ASAP so we're not in the same mess we were 12 months ago.

I agree about Wilson. We are missing a trick letting him go.

3 hours ago, historyman said:

His inconsistency was due to him spitting out his dummy tit then throwing all toys out the pram because of the new boss. 

6 minutes ago, Wee_Eck1979 said:

We sacked said boss and still he leaves. So much for all the fans who suggested we would keep him with AD in charge.

When he wouldn’t extend with Steve Clarke in charge and the prospect of Suro football I don’t think there was any hope for us after that unless we appointed Guardiola and offer SOD megabucks.

What was he on at Killie? £1k-£1500 a week? He'll double that easily elsewhere IMO. A Dundee United, Hibs, Aberdeen would perhaps pay £3k a week for a full international. If he got a move to Celtic it’s Potentially doubled again. Then he may actUally have ambitions south of the border. At the moment he’s maybe classed as a failure down there. He came up the road and resurrected his career to a new level. A second chance down there will appeal in terms of challenge and finance.