Squad Update (SOD’s away)

King

4 hours ago, Fletch said:

All 3 are far better than Wilson at the minute. Wilson could and probably will improve but you only need to look at that really bad game v St Mirren to see the drastic dip in quality when Wilson stepped in.

It's pointless him hanging around here offering nothing when he has something to offer someone at a lower level.

We could quite easily bring in someone who can offer more in that position than what we've got from Wilson over the past couple of seasons which is a shame because at one point he looked like he was going to be a real success.

We can't even name a team with subs! We need bodies and like it or not some are simply going to be squad fillers. My point is that despite how badly we played at times last season there were certain players who had to be suspended (even played with light injuries) to miss a game and create an opening.

Wilson had looked a prospect at one point but his chances have been restricted the last couple of years. Under Clarke you can understand why when we were playing so well, but under AA and AD certain players were awful and should have been dropped to give them a kick up the backside but we seen the same team weeks on end despite being awful.

I understand him choosing to leave but I believe if we had managed him properly last year then we would still have one of our own in the squad.

Just now, Wee_Eck1979 said:

We can't even name a team with subs! We need bodies and like it or not some are simply going to be squad fillers. My point is that despite how badly we played at times last season there were certain players who had to be suspended (even played with light injuries) to miss a game and create an opening.

Wilson had looked a prospect at one point but his chances have been restricted the last couple of years. Under Clarke you can understand why when we were playing so well, but under AA and AD certain players were awful and should have been dropped to give them a kick up the backside but we seen the same team weeks on end despite being awful.

I understand him choosing to leave but I believe if we had managed him properly last year then we would still have one of our own in the squad.

Some are going to be squad fillers and he's made it clear at Christmas that he wants to play. He's not going to hang around for the odd appearance if someone gets injured. He hasn't been mismanaged he just hasn't progressed enough to get in front of the guys who are playing.

You now also have Ally Taylor breaking in, there's no saying where Wilson was going to be in the pecking order.

• 3 weeks later...

Who knows? It might just happen.

He has turned down moves in the past because they were too far away so if he feels the same way then his options will be quite limited. I certainly don't think there are going to be any life changing deals on offer.

I certainly would be pleased if things change and he stays but I still doubt that will happen.

Edited by historyman

1 hour ago, Pride_of_ayrshire said:

Scott Boyds considering to put the boots back on. Could be worth offering a short contract 

Need to be looking at younger players that we can build the team around and possibly sell in a few years like McGowan, Gogic, Fraser not another player in their mid 30's

On 5/22/2020 at 3:23 PM, Garvis said:

10 men against Dundee brilliant goal.

Oh, come on; he ran sixty yards chasing the ball, never had it under control, lucked his way past two dreadful floppy tackles and toe-ended it into the net. If he'd been as lucky as that all the time, I'd have been glad to keep him.

10 minutes ago, jasper said:

Oh, come on; he ran sixty yards chasing the ball, never had it under control, lucked his way past two dreadful floppy tackles and toe-ended it into the net. If he'd been as lucky as that all the time, I'd have been glad to keep him.

Who cares if it was a scrappy goal. A goals a goal and it won us the match.

4 minutes ago, jasper said:

Have you just came out of hibernation, I was at the game an absolutely fantastic goal the place was jumping brilliant. 

1 hour ago, jasper said:

Lay off the vin rouge a bit please.

With the amount of players who have left clubs , We should be able to build up a Squad. If we have less money than previous years then the quality will drop,  I would prefer us to bring in younger player, Under 25 . This way we might find one or two who might improve as the season progresses.

I don't think their would be much difference between a free transfer at 18-21 as their would be signing a journey man free at 28/31. I would think its easier to sign and younger player too.

What the Club do need to do is start to grasp the complexities of a Transfer Window and figure out whats the Clubs vision is going forward. The last three windows have made us look very amateurish in this area , Failed signings, Lack of signings , Players signed not good enough, Lack of understanding in the admin side, Contracts allowed to lapse. 

If this Window continues along the same lines it is going to cause more problems long term. How does a Club progress if we have to rebuild every year. 

What is the Clubs strategy in the long term ?

Is it to produce young players and bring them  into the first Team. With a hope of selling for profit and then investing in the club.

Is it survival ,season to season on a small budget on free transfers, Loan players but Higher wages small Squad.

I don't really see a direction at the moment , I can see the Club progressing behind the scenes in other area's. These areas are all infrastructure and business oriented , Which is great , But its noticeable how quickly improvements were made  because that is where our boards area of expertise is.

But since  Steve Clark left its easy to see the disorganisation of the playing staff. I feel the Club appointed AA with the expectation of , Their you go this playing side is all yours , We won't get involved. But we brought in a coach who was not skilled in the recruitment side , No real scouting setup and no admin experienced in contract negotiations.

Fowler hopefully with all the free time and having had one window experience , will have sorted out how to do his job correctly and built up his infrastructure to help him in his role.

What ever happens we will need to be patient , I think results this season will be inconsistent , I don't see Alex changing our style away from defensive counter attack. 

Apart from Celtic , I think Teams will all takes points off each other.

For me sign up players under 25ish and think long term.

Loan only quality players , not squad players. Not to many. It should not be an option to build up the numbers.

Build up a Squad , Having players on the bench who will push for first team slots.

Balance the squad , IE  more than two strikers , Different options in Midfield, Creative and defensive  , No left sided attackers is stupid.

2 minutes ago, Bigdaw said:

With the amount of players who have left clubs , We should be able to build up a Squad. If we have less money than previous years then the quality will drop,  I would prefer us to bring in younger player, Under 25 . This way we might find one or two who might improve as the season progresses.

I don't think their would be much difference between a free transfer at 18-21 as their would be signing a journey man free at 28/31. I would think its easier to sign and younger player too.

What the Club do need to do is start to grasp the complexities of a Transfer Window and figure out whats the Clubs vision is going forward. The last three windows have made us look very amateurish in this area , Failed signings, Lack of signings , Players signed not good enough, Lack of understanding in the admin side, Contracts allowed to lapse. 

If this Window continues along the same lines it is going to cause more problems long term. How does a Club progress if we have to rebuild every year. 

What is the Clubs strategy in the long term ?

Is it to produce young players and bring them  into the first Team. With a hope of selling for profit and then investing in the club.

Is it survival ,season to season on a small budget on free transfers, Loan players but Higher wages small Squad.

I don't really see a direction at the moment , I can see the Club progressing behind the scenes in other area's. These areas are all infrastructure and business oriented , Which is great , But its noticeable how quickly improvements were made  because that is where our boards area of expertise is.

But since  Steve Clark left its easy to see the disorganisation of the playing staff. I feel the Club appointed AA with the expectation of , Their you go this playing side is all yours , We won't get involved. But we brought in a coach who was not skilled in the recruitment side , No real scouting setup and no admin experienced in contract negotiations.

Fowler hopefully with all the free time and having had one window experience , will have sorted out how to do his job correctly and built up his infrastructure to help him in his role.

What ever happens we will need to be patient , I think results this season will be inconsistent , I don't see Alex changing our style away from defensive counter attack. 

Apart from Celtic , I think Teams will all takes points off each other.

For me sign up players under 25ish and think long term.

Loan only quality players , not squad players. Not to many. It should not be an option to build up the numbers.

Build up a Squad , Having players on the bench who will push for first team slots.

Balance the squad , IE  more than two strikers , Different options in Midfield, Creative and defensive  , No left sided attackers is stupid.

Agree with most of the points made here with the exception of everyone other than Celtic taking points off each other. Sadly I see the gap between the OF and the rest getting even larger. They will be able to use cash reserves OR borrow more than the other teams to get themselves out of the mire. Clubs like us are going to need to take an extremely cautious approach to any sort of recruitment as nobody truly knows what the playing field will look like in 3, 6 and 12 months time. 

Having less money as a club might not be as big an issue for getting new players.

every club will be in same boat so player demands will need to drop. There’s been a tonne of players released who’ll want security so we might end up with a few guys who we’d would’ve normally been priced out of getting.