Next season's team

At the moment I think Dyer would play

Macdonald

Millen Broadfoot Findlay Waters

Burke Dicker Power McKenzie

Brophy Kabamba

Think Dyer will be happy with just a few more singings.

Fullbacks, more cover at centreback (ideally a better partner for Findlay)

at least one winger and more cover up front would be my minimum.

I'd like to see more of Kiltie as he was showing signs of getting back to his best.

Be interesting to see if Barlow, Taylor, Brindlay and Connell will help make up the numbers as all play in useful positions

Edited by Pompey Exile

I’d let McDonald move on.

Millen, Broadfoot and Waters are back up players. As above, think we’d accept an offer for Findlay. 

Midfield looks solid if unspectacular, I think Kiltie would push for a start in there but we definitely need to sign the much talked about “creative player” we’ve missed for a couple of years. 

Think Brophy could be off if a decent offer comes in. Kabamba may not be the best striker we’ve ever signed, but has a decent work rate and chips in with the odd goal. 

Long and short is that we need a Goalkeeper, a whole new defence, probably two midfielders and two strikers, all of whom would need to be first team ready and Premiership quality. Very big ask. 

4 minutes ago, Bobby14 said:

Millen, Broadfoot and Waters are back up players.

The only one of them that's a backup player is Millen. Broadfoot albeit not the preffered partner for Findlay but it works. Waters has just spent a full season playing every game St Mirren have played this season apart from us. Now is Waters chance to prove himself in the blue and white.

1 minute ago, Pride_of_ayrshire said:

The only one of them that's a backup player is Millen. Broadfoot albeit not the preffered partner for Findlay but it works. Waters has just spent a full season playing every game St Mirren have played this season apart from us. Now is Waters chance to prove himself in the blue and white.

I take your point on Waters.
By the time the season kicks off, Kirk Broadfoot will be 36. He played in 17 and missed 13 games thru injury last season. I don’t see him being first choice. 

2 minutes ago, Bobby14 said:

I take your point on Waters.
By the time the season kicks off, Kirk Broadfoot will be 36. He played in 17 and missed 13 games thru injury last season. I don’t see him being first choice. 

He'll probably start the season as first choice but I agree we need someone in as his longer term replacement.

It’s concerning that four of that strongest lineup aren’t actually signed up yet.

For me budget permitting we need at least. Starting keeper, Starting RB, Starting CB, a less defensively minded CM, options in attack. Then we’d have to look at more strength in depth. 

We need to rebuild a solid defensive unit. If he signs a new deal we can’t just rely on Burke for creativity. I’d like a different option in midfield. Someone who can drive the team forward from that area. I’d like to see a bit more pace about us. Pace can cause defences all sorts of problems and it’s not something we have a lot of in the group. 

1 hour ago, Pompey Exile said:

At the moment I think Dyer would play

Macdonald

Millen Broadfoot Findlay Waters

Burke Dicker Power McKenzie

Brophy Kabamba

Think Dyer will be happy with just a few more singings.

Fullbacks, more cover at centreback (ideally a better partner for Findlay)

at least one winger and more cover up front would be my minimum.

I'd like to see more of Kiltie as he was showing signs of getting back to his best.

Be interesting to see if Barlow, Taylor, Brindlay and Connell will help make up the numbers as all play in useful positions

When I first read that I looked at your first line as a complete sentence and thought s**t, times must be really bad!

9 minutes ago, Pompey Exile said:

You think new deals for McKenzie and Burke would be a given. 

I'm very surprised McKenzie has let his deal run down. You'd expect he'd have been offered a deal before now. He's usually of the mould that you expect him to always sign an extension.

I think we will need to be quite creative when we return on how we recruit players. Here's one I came up with when reading about the Scottish Championship potentially not starting until January. 

Dunfermline have just released 17 players so they seem to be feeling the pinch, would it be possible for us to agree a six month loan deal for Nisbet? Would mean that he would be fully prepared for when they return as well as getting one of their biggest earners off the books while they are shut down.  We get a good striker for a pittance and can then potentially agree a deal to sign him the following summer.

Looking at that team does again point out both the current threadbare small squad but also the glaring lack of quality in vital positions .....this summer window which might be longer than usual, the club need to get the recruitment process right . Starting off with at least one keeper, 2 full backs and creative players going forward 

Player Budget given current circumstances will be reduced further so it is vital that AD and JF have used the time well to use every contact and search to find the players needed , feel again we will also be seeing number of loan deals which we have to compete with rival clubs for 

27 minutes ago, Fletch said:

I'm very surprised McKenzie has let his deal run down. You'd expect he'd have been offered a deal before now. He's usually of the mould that you expect him to always sign an extension.

How close was he to leaving at the end of his last deal. I remember Tommy Wright being very interested but Rory eventually extended here.

I see Ashcroft has been released by Dunfermline. I don't think he was given much of a chance at RP and we need a big CB. Useful signing , if only as a squad player. Okay, 66 games was quite a good chance...

Edited by jasper
factual foul-up

1 hour ago, jasper said:

I see Ashcroft has been released by Dunfermline. I don't think he was given much of a chance at RP and we need a big CB. Useful signing , if only as a squad player. Okay, 66 games was quite a good chance...

Always remember Ashcroft being very very slow

17 minutes ago, Ngonge88 said:

Always remember Ashcroft being very very slow

He was but he was also fairly solid and did the basics well. A few years in the championship playing every week will have made him a bit smarter. Not a bad option as backup.