Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Pompey Exile

Next season's team

Recommended Posts

Think Waters want's to be first choice LB, hence his leaving on loan. Question is, is he good enough. 

I agree we at least need a keeper, a LB and RB. 

A couple of CBs. One or two wingers/ creative mids and a striker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope we’re not looking at Ashcroft think he found his level at the championship, he was slow and prone to giving away penalties. 
 

I would imagine that there will be a host of players available and i would imagine that a lot of wage demands will be more reasonable given the uncertainty going on, I can’t see us making any signing until we have a clearer picture on when football is safe to return and I would most clubs would be the same 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, kmck18 said:

I hope we’re not looking at Ashcroft think he found his level at the championship, he was slow and prone to giving away penalties. 
 

I would imagine that there will be a host of players available and i would imagine that a lot of wage demands will be more reasonable given the uncertainty going on, I can’t see us making any signing until we have a clearer picture on when football is safe to return and I would most clubs would be the same 

What we will probably do is leave it to the last minute and as a result miss out on anyone who is half decent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly think we will struggle, we don’t seem to have had any strategic plan in place for signings up until January, I cannot see how we will have managed to create one during the past ten weeks.

Motherwell, Hamilton and even  St Mirren under Goodwin seem to have adopted the Aberdeen model of picking up big strong athletic players who can manage to play a set way within Scottish football.

We have big yin’s, wee yin’s, fat yin, thin yin’s, fast yin’s, slow yin’s, skilful yin’s, pish yin’s. But I guess you don’t really get to choose when you sit back and wait to see who’s left at the end of windows.

Set up The Kilmarnock Way and get players to fit it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, killie billies pal said:

I honestly think we will struggle, we don’t seem to have had any strategic plan in place for signings up until January, I cannot see how we will have managed to create one during the past ten weeks.

Motherwell, Hamilton and even  St Mirren under Goodwin seem to have adopted the Aberdeen model of picking up big strong athletic players who can manage to play a set way within Scottish football.

We have big yin’s, wee yin’s, fat yin, thin yin’s, fast yin’s, slow yin’s, skilful yin’s, pish yin’s. But I guess you don’t really get to choose when you sit back and wait to see who’s left at the end of windows.

Set up The Kilmarnock Way and get players to fit it.

Looking likely we will have - 

Keeper 

RB Findlay Broadfoot Waters 

Burke Dicker Power McKenzie 

Brophy Kabamba 

Im confident that it wouldn't take many signings to complete that team and finish above County, Accies and St Mirren. Wouldn't want to rely on Broadfoot for a season obviously. 

I can't see that team doing much more than that, but I think all of the teams will be in the same boat up to January at least in just getting enough players on the pitch and surviving. I think Goodwin said St Mirren only have twelve players as it stands. 

I think the teams who finished below us are going to get weaker than what we have left, Hladcky leaving St Mirren, Accies losing Smith and Gogic, County losing numbers etc. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't get into the 'let's kick on up the league' as if it's a normal season at all. Everything is going to be different. 

Planning must be next to impossible. We are going to have months where entire divisions are going to suddenly make decisions which free up thousands of players. There is no road map to all this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kmck18 said:

I would imagine that there will be a host of players available and i would imagine that a lot of wage demands will be more reasonable given the uncertainty going on....

You might find some good players will sign a one-year contract at lower terms just to guarantee some income until things settle down. Free agent again in a year's time. 

But we would have to get in early - waiting until the last minute is unlikely to succeed.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, killie billies pal said:

I honestly think we will struggle, we don’t seem to have had any strategic plan in place for signings up until January, I cannot see how we will have managed to create one during the past ten weeks.

With 10 weeks of no football I would hope that this is precisely what has been developed by our HoF and Manager. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not happening.

January window  looked to have come too early in Fowler's regime along with the change of manager. He and Dyer have had 6mths now to discuss and develop a strategy for the forthcoming window albeit it may require to be adapted depending on hoe the budget is affected by Covid related events.

it's going to be an interesting next few months for signings and as a fan I hope we see more positive activity than in the last two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, skygod said:

But we would have to get in early - waiting until the last minute is unlikely to succeed.

 

I think it needs a nuanced approach - 

We should be all over anyone in Scotland who is out of contract that could improve us, and any targets that were identified who are now free agents. 

But - there's going to be a huge domino effect from the English Premiership which isn't going to happen for months. 

Every chance there will be far fewer cup games and far less need for Watford to have Bachmann - but we can't do anything there until they finish their games. 

And all manner of free agents are going to appear once the English leagues decide what to do, that looks weeks away. Then they will probably release more again when they get Premiershop loans. 

Have to balance making smart signings now and holding back for the players that are inevitably going to free up. 

Would be a sickenet to sign a big standard keeper nownl and have Bachmann in goals against us for someone else in our first game back. It's tough. 

I don't envy them the job. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Killie1984 said:

Think Waters want's to be first choice LB, hence his leaving on loan. Question is, is he good enough. 

Waters has proved himself as a rock in the saints defense last season. I think hes good enough. He showed some qualities when GT was injured couple seasons back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, mitch14 said:

Every chance there will be far fewer cup games and far less need for Watford to have Bachmann...

I think Gomes will retire, or possibly just leave, this summer and Bachmann will be No. 2.

We can ask the question of Watford but, if we aren't given any encouragement, we shouldn't waste time pursuing him. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Pride_of_ayrshire said:

Waters has proved himself as a rock in the saints defense last season.

I think the general opinion is that he was an absolute nightmare first half of the season but settled in to being fairly consistently average after the break.

Rock is probably a stretch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mitch14 said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't get into the 'let's kick on up the league' as if it's a normal season at all. Everything is going to be different. 

Planning must be next to impossible. We are going to have months where entire divisions are going to suddenly make decisions which free up thousands of players. There is no road map to all this. 

I agree with you, but I think there will be rewards for the clubs who work fast and get their squads sorted. Unfortunately in recent times, that has not been us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, theboyjohnston said:

With 10 weeks of no football I would hope that this is precisely what has been developed by our HoF and Manager. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it's not happening.

January window  looked to have come too early in Fowler's regime along with the change of manager. He and Dyer have had 6mths now to discuss and develop a strategy for the forthcoming window albeit it may require to be adapted depending on hoe the budget is affected by Covid related events.

it's going to be an interesting next few months for signings and as a fan I hope we see more positive activity than in the last two.

If they haven't been doing this for the last ten weeks then they may as well have been furloughed with the players. 

The fact the club kept them on the payroll means they should have been taking the time to explore the market and getting it ready for the window whenever that may be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mitch14 said:

Have to balance making smart signings now and holding back for the players that are inevitably going to free up. 

As a club we need to smarten up in transfer windows. Waiting until the end was the Steve Clarke way. We seem to have gone down that route in the last two windows because it worked for him and it’s failed miserably. We need to find a way that suits us.

As you say smart signings first. That could be a case of getting guys who are going to keep you in the division. Once we’ve built a decent foundation we can be looking for the Stewart’s who come available later in the window. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Pride_of_ayrshire said:

I know this is a long shot of getting players. But Southampton are set for a mass exodus.

Unless BB has won the euromillions jackpot, put it all on black and won, weve nae chance.  Their wages per week would each pay for pur first team squad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s opportunity in this crisis for smart operators. If at all possible we should be doing a deal for the boy Nesbit at Dunfermline, they need money, and will probably be in no position to turn down a sensible amount, even doing something with staggered payments or performance related. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is opportunity if you play it smart. Nisbet to us and maybe a deal with a couple of youngsters going the other way when their league starts. There will be loads of players to choose from, the trick is picking the best.

We will see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the moment we're in a similar boat to Dunfermline. No money from season-tickets, no money from replica strip sales, no gate money since 4th of March. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Onlyonecolinmckee said:

There’s opportunity in this crisis for smart operators. If at all possible we should be doing a deal for the boy Nesbit at Dunfermline, they need money, and will probably be in no position to turn down a sensible amount, even doing something with staggered payments or performance related. 

Apparently signing for Aberdeen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we are going to sign players early we'd be better signing guys who can play in a few different positions. Our squad (which was threadbare to begin with) is going to be smaller again next season, so having a few guys that can fill in in 3 or 4 positions have to be a priority. That's why I was surprised that Shug Wilson was allowed to leave, but maybe it was his decision to go rather than the club.

There will be guys being released from down south and possibly Europe who would have never normally considered coming up here but will be desperate for a contract so we should be looking as far and wide as possible. And as mentioned above, if the Championship isn't starting until later up here we should be looking for 6 month loans for the best players from there. Dare I even suggest a 6 month loan offer for Dobbie if Queens aren't going to start until January?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bowie said on Sky Sports news we have players identified but we can't do anything right now. We are in an enviable /unenviable position right now where we have a small squad so our costs aren't as high as they might have been. first and foremost we need to survive. The furlough scheme only pays employees up to £2500 per month, our team and most of the other teams players are on far more than that with no income. In this situation we will not be losing nearly as much as the rest. Most squads will need to free players probably. When the date comes when we know what is happening with virtual season tickets there will be lots of players desperate for a contract. At the moment yes we would struggle but there could be a few teams in administration 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Onlyonecolinmckee said:

There’s opportunity in this crisis for smart operators. If at all possible we should be doing a deal for the boy Nesbit at Dunfermline, they need money, and will probably be in no position to turn down a sensible amount, even doing something with staggered payments or performance related. 

I think we planned to go for him in the winter window. We were gonna offer Frizzel on a permanent and Dom Thomas with a loan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pride_of_ayrshire said:

I think we planned to go for him in the winter window. We were gonna offer Frizzel on a permanent and Dom Thomas with a loan. 

What happened?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dunfermline turned down an cash offer from Hibs at the January window .Don't know how much but not a lot apparently.Doubt if they would entertain any swap deals  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

The Killie Trust

KFC Supporters Association

Young Kilmarnock

FC Kilmarnock

Kilmarnock FC (Official)

×