Findlay on Manager, SOD and not looking too far ahead

Scouser2

Do hope the club at least try to start talks on a new deal asap

STUART FINDLAY admits he’s desperate for Alex Dyer to land the Kilmarnock job on a permanent basis.

Dyer was handed the manager’s role until the end of the season after taking over from sacked Angelo Alessio in December.

But the 54-year-old’s audition for the hotseat was cruelly cut short by the coronavirus pandemic which brought the Premiership campaign to an early end.

Dyer - also Steve Clarke's Scotland No2 - kept Killie in the race for a top-six finish and guided the Ayrshire club to a memorable 2-1 win over title hopefuls Rangers. And defender Findlay believes the popular Londoner deserves a full crack at the job next season and revealed the whole dressing room is behind him. “When we were under Steve Clarke, the new gaffer was the assistant and he got on brilliantly with all the boys.

“It’s a really hard thing for someone to go from a number two to the first-team manager.

“But I think he’s done unbelievably well. I think he’s got massive respect from all the boys in the team, especially myself, and he’s someone we all want to play under.“It’s not been announced yet but if he does get the job then I’d definitely look forward to working under him. I believe he would do well as our manager.

“We all want to listen to him and take his advice on board. He’s someone that we want to play for.

“The respect we gained for him under Steve Clarke and the respect we gained for him under his own accord, it speaks for itself and I think everyone would agree with me there.”

While Dyer’s future has yet to be thrashed out, one player who definitely won’t be at Kilmarnock next season is Stephen O’Donnell. The 28-year-old right-back decided to leave the club on a free transferand Scotland team-mate Findlay admits he’ll be a big miss.

He said: “Stephen’s success speaks for itself. He came in at right-back and made the position his own and that’s been rewarded with his Scotland caps.

“He was the PFA representative for the club so he did a lot of work behind the scenes in the last couple of months, especially with all the lockdown stuff he’s been doing  “He’s a guy that will definitely be missed. He’s been there through all the good times we’ve had over the last few years. Whenever you lose anyone from that sort of era it’s always a sad one.

“It’s one of those ones, when you get to that stage in your contract you have to make the decision that’s best for you and your family and the people involved.

“Obviously, he’s had a good time with us but he’s felt it’s probably the right moment for him to move on and see what else he can do for himself.

“Wherever he does end up obviously I wish him all the best and hopefully it works out well for him.”

Former Celtic kid Findlay could find himself in a similar situation 12 months from now. The 24-year-old is in the final year of his deal and has yet to open talks over an extension. He said: “Everything to do with football has been put on the back burner.

“It’s all up in the air and I think there’s more pressing matters with boys that are maybe out of contract or leaving the club. “I’m not in any rush to force Killie to do anything. It’s obviously a very hard and stressful time at the club and some things are more important at the moment.

I’d rather just get back to the football before I start thinking about things like that. I just want to start kicking a ball again, that’s the most important thing for me.

“I’ve not even thought about my future at all. At this moment in time, I should just be winding down and enjoying the off-season. The fact you’re at home for ten weeks and have not kicked a ball puts things into perspective. You don’t really think about what’s going to happen in the future.

“You just look a week or two in advance and try and see a way to get back doing what you love. It’s hard to try and think past that stage.”

Why haven’t we opened contract talks already? 
We should be sitting down with more than just the players out of contract, we should at least sat down and talked numbers and thoughts to get the ball rolling and form a plan If we are close enough to keep talking or if we are too far apart then discuss selling.

7 hours ago, Twonky65 said:

Dyer has respect from our best player but not some fans.

cmon guys, let’s support the team and the manager!

In fairness Findlay sees a lot more of him than we do on a Saturday afternoon. I’d take those comments with a pinch of salt. “Unbelievably well” really? Steve Clarke did unbelievably well in his tenure. Dyer was so so. 

2 hours ago, piffer said:

In fairness Findlay sees a lot more of him than we do on a Saturday afternoon. I’d take those comments with a pinch of salt. “Unbelievably well” really? Steve Clarke did unbelievably well in his tenure. Dyer was so so. 

Could read with a pinch of salt. Could also mean "unbelievably well... given the mess he was left". 

Findlay is a player whose opinion has always seemed to be honest and straightforward. If he supports Dyer and tells us SoD was fantastic behind the scenes I reckon that should have a bit of weight to it. 

More than anything though - good to see a positive interview. Would quite like him to be captain. 

13 minutes ago, Maverick11 said:

Findlay will be offered a new deal this summer (once we have those who are out of contract sorted). 
Hopefully we get him signed up but if not then he’ll likely be sold this summer. 

We can negotiate with more than those out of contract. Anyone with a brain can see he is our most valuable asset, to let him enter the last year of his contract is reckless, to let him enter the last year and not even open talks is undefendable.

It never fails to amaze me how some know more about how football works then the football people themselves.

We are in the middle of a lockdown and pandemic and nobody knows which club will survive this. I am confident that we will survive, but until we know if and when football will return, why would you offer a player who has a year of his contract to run and extension? It does not make business sense. 

When all has settled down I am sure that SF will be first on the list of JF to get another contract sorted out.

Contracts do not happen overnight. There are weeks of negotiation with the agent who will always look at alternatives and hold off.

Have I said this before?.....I do not like agents! Parasites of the game. Take millions out of the game and put nothing back!

8 minutes ago, CBFC said:

We are in the middle of a lockdown and pandemic and nobody knows which club will survive this. I am confident that we will survive, but until we know if and when football will return, why would you offer a player who has a year of his contract to run and extension? It does not make business sense. 

I get your point with survival. Im fairly certain we will survive we've took every chance to get on top of the cash situation during the pandemic by offloading players, staff in furlough, money from the trus, the killie shop sales and well as the prize money from the SPFL.

As for the contract situation yes hes got a full year left but Findlay arguably our best player with a year you'd hope to get him tied down for longer. Plus it adds a little more zeroes to his transfer fee should one come in.

14 minutes ago, CBFC said:

Have I said this before?.....I do not like agents! Parasites of the game. Take millions out of the game and put nothing back!

They also help players get the best possible deal for themselves and not get exploited by clubs. Would you have a talented teenager going in and representing himself in contract negotiations?

39 minutes ago, CBFC said:

It never fails to amaze me how some know more about how football works then the football people themselves.

When all has settled down I am sure that SF will be first on the list of JF to get another contract sorted out.

Contracts do not happen overnight. There are weeks of negotiation with the agent who will always look at alternatives and hold off.

Using the pandemic as an excuse is pathetic, JF arrived 6 months before it. One of his early duties was to start sorting out contracts. As an ex player, asst and manager he knows that a player can only attract top money if he has over a year left on his contract.

By not even sitting down prior to now we go into the last possible chance to get decent money for him with no idea if we could keep him or we have to sell. I understand you may not have had the chance to iron out the finer details but to not even have had a sit down is criminal.

52 minutes ago, CBFC said:

It doesn't make business sense to get a player that could potentially be worth millions on a longer contract when he could sign for somebody else in 6 months for nothing? 

When a player says he is isn't looking to far ahead or is just concentrating on Kilmarnock at the moment this basically means he'll be off ski. This is the problem we are getting ourselves into. Brophy will be the next one. Nobody really minds if they are bought by an English championship team and go on to have a great career but when they leave on a free and end up at the likes of Dundee Utd or Aberdeen that's the annoyance. 

1 hour ago, Killie lad said:

It doesn't make business sense to get a player that could potentially be worth millions on a longer contract when he could sign for somebody else in 6 months for nothing? 

Unfortunately it often doesn't make sense for the player to sign that contract when he can be open to better offers in 6 months time.

21 hours ago, Gaz of the 20/20 said:

They also help players get the best possible deal for themselves and not get exploited by clubs. Would you have a talented teenager going in and representing himself in contract negotiations?

There is a players union. Let them earn their subscriptions!

20 hours ago, Wee_Eck1979 said:

Using the pandemic as an excuse is pathetic, JF arrived 6 months before it. One of his early duties was to start sorting out contracts. As an ex player, asst and manager he knows that a player can only attract top money if he has over a year left on his contract.

By not even sitting down prior to now we go into the last possible chance to get decent money for him with no idea if we could keep him or we have to sell. I understand you may not have had the chance to iron out the finer details but to not even have had a sit down is criminal.

Whilst I understand your comment, do we know for certain that no "informal" talks have taken place? Findlay has said that he is yet to open talks on a new deal, that does not mean that it hasn't been spoken about informally.

As in, "Stuart we are going to offer you a new deal, but we need to get some other players signed up first"

Edited by CBFC

13 minutes ago, CBFC said:

There is a players union. Let them earn their subscriptions!

The players union in Scotland is going search throughout the world for the best possible option, both personally and financially, for every single player then negotiate their contracts for them? I think thats quite an ask and not really within their remit.

I understand it is frustrating at times at a club like ours, where agents play a part in players leaving but it works both ways, and theres a lot of players we have picked up through the years due to agents informing us of their availability and interest. 

Yes theres no doubt they make too much money, but there is definitely a requirement for them in the game. 

Edited by Gaz of the 20/20

3 hours ago, Gaz of the 20/20 said:

Yes theres no doubt they make too much money, but there is definitely a requirement for them in the game. 

I think where the money comes from is the main problem with agents, they shouldn't be getting paid by buying and selling clubs. If they represent the player they should be on a percentage from him.

49 minutes ago, Prahakillie said:

I think where the money comes from is the main problem with agents, they shouldn't be getting paid by buying and selling clubs. If they represent the player they should be on a percentage from him.

Spot on, although I believe in the past players paid their agent a monthly sum as a retainer.