Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Shropshire_killie

Bomber?

Recommended Posts

37 minutes ago, Shropshire_killie said:

Anyone know what the aircraft in the middle of this photo is? Took it on my phone yesterday as they flew over the house. 

20200713_195349.jpg

ask a brexiteer, they live in that time period permanently anyways

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

25% Bristol Beaufort, 1/4 Bristol Beaufighter, 2\8 de Havilland Mosquito the rest is Vickers Wellington.  
84mlq0j.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought it might have been a Dakota but the leading edge of the wings looks a bit too square to the fuselage. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Fankle said:

Thought it might have been a Dakota but the leading edge of the wings looks a bit too square to the fuselage. 

It looks like it's got D day markings on it. I'm thinking  its some kinda transport  I've failed to find anything about it. It was heading in the Cosford direction. I'll post if I find out. Quite often see the bi planes overhead doing aerobatics as there is an  airfield nearby at Sleap, An old RAF site. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Shropshire_killie said:

It looks like it's got D day markings on it. I'm thinking  its some kinda transport  I've failed to find anything about it. It was heading in the Cosford direction. I'll post if I find out. Quite often see the bi planes overhead doing aerobatics as there is an  airfield nearby at Sleap, An old RAF site. 

Nothing in the Shropshire Star or whatever it's called ? Flight Radar can go back seven days but I've never found out how to do it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Wrangodog said:

Nothing in the Shropshire Star or whatever it's called ? Flight Radar can go back seven days but I've never found out how to do it. 

No and yes it us the Shropshire Star!. Been checking. Also googled ww2 bomber over Shropshire etc etc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would have said a Mosquito based on the wingplan layout but I am not aware of any airworthy examples in the UK.

Wrong wing shape to be the BBMF Dakota.

Anson would be a good shout. My other thought was a Dragon Rapide since the two accompanying aircraft are biplanes

The Anson was not a fighter. As our learned colleague Ken says they were transport, comms and army liason craft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m with you on the Mosquito, one of the most important bombers during the war due to the fact it was made over a wooden frame, was so fast that the German fighters couldn’t keep up and any “hits”went right through them but did not normally affect their ability to fly. Several crucial bombing raids carried out using this aircraft. There were several Mosquito built and used by a number of countries, a product of De Haviland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

The Killie Trust

KFC Supporters Association

Young Kilmarnock

FC Kilmarnock

Kilmarnock FC (Official)

×