George Green

Clubs at many levels charge players/ employees for their suits. Most recent club i was at you paid £200 for the suit and you didn't own it. If you left the club you handed it back. It happens throughout the lower English leagues as well.

Standard practice for a club our size. I'd imagine other scottish clubs are the same.

1 hour ago, azertyuiop said:

Clubs at many levels charge players/ employees for their suits. Most recent club i was at you paid £200 for the suit and you didn't own it. If you left the club you handed it back. It happens throughout the lower English leagues as well.

Standard practice for a club our size. I'd imagine other scottish clubs are the same.

What size would that be ? 42" regular?

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Just heard Green on BBC Radio 5 Live as part of a discussion about football's treatment of young players, eg rewarding them before they have achieved anything, having no incentives to achieve, receiving support or not etc.

Green spoke about spending nine years in the Bradford City academy system then, at 15, suddenly being bounced into a transfer to Everton amid headlines about the new Rooney and £2m transfer value. He said he really just wanted to play rugby with his mate!

He said that he had no-one to advise him about money - his dad died when he was young and his mum wasn't around - so he spent his money on the things he'd been deprived of growing up. He said that Everton didn't give him any advice at all.

The PFA representative said they they were on hand to advise young players on a wide range of issues. Green said you had to go to the PFA, that they didn't come to you.

He confirmed that he was out of contract with Stavanger since 31 December and is without a club. He didn't mention his history of depression.

He sounded like an honest but very naïve young man who needs all the help he can get. You could see how might have floundered at Killie, expecting the club to do everything for him.

There's a lot to be said for the old system of youth players coming through and cleaning the senior players boots, menial jobs etc and making them really work and earn their chance rather than being handed it because they had a good month in the reserves 

i know everything has to move forward from the dark ages but there is nothing wrong with having to work your arse off to earn what is a real opportunity 

my very first office job in my industry was in Paisley and my manager was an old dinosaur who used to put a 20p on my desk every morning around 10am and tell me "go grab my evening times son" while he stood chain smoking and drinking black coffee 

one day I forgot to get it and he called me into the office and ripped me to shreds and told me when he told me to do something I do and I better not forget 

at the time I was seething to the point I had tears in the eye and he was all the bastards under the sun but from that day I learned never to put myself in the position to let someone speak to me that way again and strangely out of all my managers in the last 20 years with the exception of one he's the man I respected most 

he had worked all his days and demanded respect rightly or wrongly but he did teach me about tenacity and making sure the job was done right 

these days you try that and you'd get the bullet 

my point is the old style thinking of having to earn the respect of your seniors and doing what your told when your told has become cloudy and they are taught to question everything and while I agree that old school way wasn't perfect what the new style of managing people has done has created this mindset of expecting everything served up to you on a silver plate and the ones that get things far too easy have no clue what it is to be made to really earn what you have 

anyway enough of my dinosaur rant I'm off to pick a fight with a velociraptor 

4 hours ago, Sp3ckyh0td0g81 said:

There's a lot to be said for the old system of youth players coming through and cleaning the senior players boots, menial jobs etc and making them really work and earn their chance rather than being handed it because they had a good month in the reserves 

i know everything has to move forward from the dark ages but there is nothing wrong with having to work your arse off to earn what is a real opportunity 

my very first office job in my industry was in Paisley and my manager was an old dinosaur who used to put a 20p on my desk every morning around 10am and tell me "go grab my evening times son" while he stood chain smoking and drinking black coffee 

one day I forgot to get it and he called me into the office and ripped me to shreds and told me when he told me to do something I do and I better not forget 

at the time I was seething to the point I had tears in the eye and he was all the bastards under the sun but from that day I learned never to put myself in the position to let someone speak to me that way again and strangely out of all my managers in the last 20 years with the exception of one he's the man I respected most 

he had worked all his days and demanded respect rightly or wrongly but he did teach me about tenacity and making sure the job was done right 

these days you try that and you'd get the bullet 

my point is the old style thinking of having to earn the respect of your seniors and doing what your told when your told has become cloudy and they are taught to question everything and while I agree that old school way wasn't perfect what the new style of managing people has done has created this mindset of expecting everything served up to you on a silver plate and the ones that get things far too easy have no clue what it is to be made to really earn what you have 

anyway enough of my dinosaur rant I'm off to pick a fight with a velociraptor 

When I was Accies I didn't clean boots, some of the other kids did. But my duty was sweeping the main stand and making sure the washed training tops were folded away properly.

We were in at 8am 5 days a week and had to go to Strathclyde park and setup the goals etc for the first team players.

Even back then with us in lower leagues we had a respect and awe of those first team players who in hindsight (Quitongo and Hartley aside) very few went on to carve out respectable careers.

I agree with your points, we seem to live in a climate now where such tasks seem beneath the youngest player. Even when we were in first team squad away from home knowing we wouldn't even make the bench, the reality of cleaning and running about after the first team kept most of us grounded that we hadn't made it yet...

... then again I'm sure Green was on more than £65 a week like we were so it's easy for me to say that!!

3 hours ago, Bullitt said:

When I was Accies I didn't clean boots, some of the other kids did. But my duty was sweeping the main stand and making sure the washed training tops were folded away properly.

We were in at 8am 5 days a week and had to go to Strathclyde park and setup the goals etc for the first team players.

Even back then with us in lower leagues we had a respect and awe of those first team players who in hindsight (Quitongo and Hartley aside) very few went on to carve out respectable careers.

I agree with your points, we seem to live in a climate now where such tasks seem beneath the youngest player. Even when we were in first team squad away from home knowing we wouldn't even make the bench, the reality of cleaning and running about after the first team kept most of us grounded that we hadn't made it yet...

... then again I'm sure Green was on more than £65 a week like we were so it's easy for me to say that!!

I think I read somewhere that some 17 year old was going to get something crazy like £40k per week from an EPL team to make sure he didn't move elsewhere.

the whole thing is mad but like any bubble whether it is tulips, dot com stocks or bit coins it will burst some day. 

2 hours ago, historyman said:

I think I read somewhere that some 17 year old was going to get something crazy like £40k per week from an EPL team to make sure he didn't move elsewhere.

the whole thing is mad but like any bubble whether it is tulips, dot com stocks or bit coins it will burst some day. 

40k... jeezo. How the other half live eh?

3 minutes ago, diamond_geezer said:

It’s like winning the lottery to be fair . Most professional footballers are nowhere near that , never will be . Plus , it is a massive bubble that is on the point of popping come the next Sky/BT round . 

That's it. If anything happened with those TV deals English football will combust. 

3 hours ago, historyman said:

I'm not sure it will burst - might go down, should sports revenues shrink but no more than other football leagues as a %.  

The EPL is completely dominant as a worldwide super league,  beyond Barcelona Real Madrid PSG Bayern. Also has the advantage of USA now having soccer as the top grassroots sport.Importantly (in terms of market share) the EPL on North and South American TV has no rivals for sports fans on TV schedules. 

3pm or 8pm is early kickoffs in USA for breakfast or lunch viewing. Are no NFL, NBA NHL games on in direct competition with English football, but the revenues are less than NFL -  despite more worldwide interest in football (arguably the EPL itself)  than the NFL.

With streaming, if the EPL goes down,  NFL, boxing all the PPV sports will too.

Edited by RAG

18 minutes ago, diamond_geezer said:

...  a massive bubble that is on the point of popping come the next Sky/BT round . 

From what I read, the likes of Netflix, Google and Amazon will come into the bidding and up the ante. 

Edited by skygod

4 minutes ago, skygod said:

From what I read, the likes of Netflix, Goggle and Amazon will come into the bidding and up the ante. 

You might play a few quid extra on the iphone for live games of your choice too! EPL is still dominated by Sky/Tv model.    Apple or Google could do what Sky did to the BBC.  Sky are being sold to Disney, so it will be in their sights, then licensed out for TV viewing to Sky by whoever pays stupid money for overall rights.  No change to traditional satellite TV customers but opens up internet (and cheap) worldwide broadcasting, protecting against the streaming itself.  NFL or EPl will do alright cos of apple or google and the smartphone.

Edited by RAG

There is more chance of the bubble bursting with only two bidders for the EPL rights.

The rules state that the TV rights cannot go to one company (which is why there are now two packages to bid on) ... if both Sky and BT half their next tenders then they will both get a package and the Premiership loses 50% of it's income.