General Election

skygod

I wonder how long the Scottish Greens will retain their branch office independence from the HQ that is SNP Central Office.

With them now standing in less than 10 of the 59 seats in Scotland one has to question the reason for their continued existence.

Despite their stance on Independence I must say I have a soft spot for the Greens. In the recent council elections they got my second vote after the Lib Dems.

However, they have become more and more simply an adjunct to the SNP rather than a party in their own right.

5 hours ago, Mclean07 said:

I know it's FAKE NEWS and SAD to the cybernats, but if anyone sane is interested there is a debate in the drop in education standards on Radio Scotland right now. Looks like my highlighting of the issue is winning through :)

Some of us work you know (and will work a hell of a lot longer than you due to your pal Gordon)

29 minutes ago, Sandman396 said:

I wonder how long the Scottish Greens will retain their branch office independence from the HQ that is SNP Central Office.

With them now standing in less than 10 of the 59 seats in Scotland one has to question the reason for their continued existence.

Lib Dems, tories, labour etc can afford to waste money standing in every seat, whilst targeting specific ones (last go round, in the Scottish elections, the Lib Dem candidate for Cunninghame north never once showed face in the constituency. Probably couldn't point to it on a map. And instead, spent all her time canvassing for Cole-Hamilton in Edinburgh) The greens, communists, monster raving loony party etc can afford no such luxury.

9 minutes ago, CB said:

Lib Dems, tories, labour etc can afford to waste money standing in every seat, whilst targeting specific ones (last go round, in the Scottish elections, the Lib Dem candidate for Cunninghame north never once showed face in the constituency. Probably couldn't point to it on a map. And instead, spent all her time canvassing for Cole-Hamilton in Edinburgh) The greens, communists, monster raving loony party etc can afford no such luxury.

I love how attempting to offer the choice of representation to  all Scots is now deemed to be a "waste" of money. CB I am not angry with you, just disappointed.

1 minute ago, Sandman396 said:

I love how attempting to offer the choice of representation to  all Scots is now deemed to be a "waste" of money. CB I am not angry with you, just disappointed.

Why on earth would you be either angry or disappointed?

5 minutes ago, Sandman396 said:

Not only have you let me down but more importantly you have let yourself down.

As I said I am not angry just disappointed.

I think you're going to have to spell it out. Because your original reply would suggest that you'd expect everyone to stand in every seat regardless of their chances/funds. I'm sure Dennis Canavan, when he was deselected by labour, would have loved to have had to foot the bill for standing in every seat, just so we could all get the choice of being represented by such a fine politician.

6 hours ago, ross1987 said:

If you're blaming the government for your child being unable read or write sufficiently, then I would say you have failed as a parent.

IMO there is some current culpability by the SNP and their obsession with the abstract, conceptual hot air and waffle in the paradoxically entitled "Curriculum for Excellence" experiment. Dumping that would be a huge step forward but it aint gonna happen because too many high heid yins have staked their reputations on it and aint gonna admit they got it wrong whether they have quite clearly f**ked up or not.

However on your more general point that standards of attainment are not really influenced by governments I think there is something worth considering there. In my view the fundamental problem is that people generally just don't value education. It is very trendy in the meeja to unapologetically boast about just how incredibly ignorant you are. Also at one time education would have been associated with your employment prospects but these days there are just too many unemployed educated people to make the uneducated think its worth giving a f**k.

Just what I think.

3 hours ago, gdevoy said:

at one time education would have been associated with your employment prospects but these days there are just too many unemployed educated people to make the uneducated think its worth giving a f**k.

Just what I think.

Formalised education perhaps. 

But these days you can listen to the audiobook version of Marx's Der Kapital on YouTube if you want to educate yourself a la the shadow chancellor.

( A sneaky reference from JM that one , Der Kapitals about how Adam Smith, Gordon Browns top boy, was wrong or misguided)

The world of formalised education in the 21c, hasn't caught up with recent technological advance. 

2 hours ago, Brianstorm said:

Greens standing in 3 seats. Embarrassing. 

Why that's  embarrassing then? What's the point of wasting £500 per seat the Grens won't win in?

Under The FPTP system,they've no chance in all but few seats where the populations probably over educated and under skilled industrially,  by any society, anywhere, in all of history's standards. 

Edited by RAG

6 minutes ago, Brianstorm said:

And they have no chance of winning. The boss of the green branch of the SNP has spoken. They're an irrelevance. Sturgeons puppet. He'll regret turning his party into an SNP sideshow. 

Who knows, McLeans Red boys and girls might join forces with Mays Blue army like they did in local elections.

2 minutes ago, Mcilroy56 said:

Who knows, McLeans Red boys and girls might join forces with Mays Blue army like they did in local elections.

I know the feeling. I'm currently represented by a SNP/Tory coalition. Better Together, just like when the Tories helped the minority SNP govt pass their budgets.

17 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Some of us work you know (and will work a hell of a lot longer than you due to your pal Gordon)

You really need to stop taking the Tory line on everything from taking business's side over people earning a living wage to defending business for using a tax adjustment to pensions as an excuse to close down their final salary schemes. Pensions are massively subsidised even now and the abolition of higher tax payers relief would allow us to put billions into the NHS, schools etc. Why should other people finance your pension. But hey, keep talking about the Labour abandoning their roots, while talking Tory yourself. 

49 minutes ago, Brianstorm said:

As for no money, maybe their SNP buddies who get paid 70k a year with a limitless expenses bill and who are on a daily basis begging poor people on twitter for money to fund their leaflets and s**t could spare them a fee quid. 

Maybe you could tap them a few quid if it bothers you that much?

29 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

You really need to stop taking the Tory line on everything from taking business's side over people earning a living wage to defending business for using a tax adjustment to pensions as an excuse to close down their final salary schemes. Pensions are massively subsidised even now and the abolition of higher tax payers relief would allow us to put billions into the NHS, schools etc. Why should other people finance your pension. But hey, keep talking about the Labour abandoning their roots, while talking Tory yourself. 

hahahaha, Mr PFI talking about lack of money going into the NHS and Schools. You literally couldn't make it up!

There's your Labour legacy. A bookkeeping exercise used to make the deficit look like it's striking whilst lumbering future generations of billlions of debt to PRIVATE companies.

Talk about talking Tory.

56 minutes ago, Brianstorm said:

And they have no chance of winning. The boss of the green branch of the SNP has spoken. They're an irrelevance. Sturgeons puppet. He'll regret turning his party into an SNP sideshow. 

Bit like the boss of the Red side of the Tories eh?

Talk about an irrelevance! Add their votes together and they just about beat the SNP. No wonder the Labour voters are switching to Tories (not that it's hard for them)

vote.jpg

It must be awkward for McLean and what's left of Scottish Labour, that the main body of their party has just committed to scrapping university tuition fees. They describe it as "a gift from one generation to the next", while the goons up here insist it's  " subsiding the well off at the expense of the poor". 

14 hours ago, RAG said:

The world of formalised education in the 21c, hasn't caught up with recent technological advance. 

Its been like that for a while. For years I was browbeaten with pointless mental arithmetic skills like memorising multiplication tables, also memorising how to spell arcane words. I was also taught to use a slide rule. With my money earned from my part time job at the weekends I bought myself a Sinclair Scientific calculator, the last word in high technology at affordable prices.

Now every desk where I work has access to Excel spread sheets and a Word spell checker, what a waste of my formal education time eh? 

The thing was that demonstrating I had been paying attention during formal education was the key to being given a job. Then I was able to deploy my own self taught skills to earn some money.

Now I feel the perception of the general public, rightly or wrongly is that formal education (pointless as it sometimes proves to be in the real world) has no leverage whatever in obtaining gainful employment. 

49 minutes ago, Zorro said:

It must be awkward for McLean and what's left of Scottish Labour, that the main body of their party has just committed to scrapping university tuition fees. They describe it as "a gift from one generation to the next", while the goons up here insist it's  " subsiding the well off at the expense of the poor". 

Beat me to it, irony overload