Jump to content
Scouser2

SPFL relegation / play offs

Recommended Posts

On 5/12/2018 at 5:05 PM, gdevoy said:

I think Thistle will be comfortable pin the playoffs against Livi.

They'll need to play a lot better in the second leg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, killie billies pal said:

Never thought i would hear myself say this , but, cmon Thistle , the thought of another set of absolute thugs on the pitch, playing fvck off football that bring no fans to RP is more than i can take.

In regards to Archibald, i think he will be kept in some role, but we have set the standard tbh, you can invest in two players or a decent manager looking for work and looking  to put himself back in the market, lets face it SSC has made Lee Macs team look pretty good.

Pretty grim football but their energy is fantastic, Thistle were completely devoid of ideas and ability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thistle were a big let down tonight. They don’t seem up for it at all. Lost just about every battle and displayed very little quality throughout. Livi have something to defend now just like the last round so will be giving it everything again. 

You wonder how much more Livi have got before the bubble bursts. It’s effectively a squad put together for League 1. A few loanees and can’t fill their bench tonight. With no one to bankroll them and a small fan base to boost funds would they be able to compete in the top flight over a season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having been born in Livingston I would like to see them up for a year then back down. Their manager has done a phenomenal job with one of the smallest budgets in league. Two successive promotions would be incredible. Good luck to them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cmon Livi. Deserved it tonight & I hope they do the same at Firhill. Any sympathy for Thistle goes out the window when they start singing the anti Killie songs. Every game I have seen them play against other teams they are slagging us off, What have we done to them? Get them stuffed Livi. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought one of the commentators absolutely nailed it with one comment - one team desperate to win and one desperate not to lose. Really poor from thistle. At least in the first leg v Falkirk we created chances. It's not pretty, but absolutely fair play to Livi - Thistles job to get past that style of football and they can't. Really interesting second leg now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would rather Thistle stay up, but they were awful tonight. They had around one shot on goal, which they scored from. When we played Falkirk we were the better team in the first leg, and for some reason I was weirdly confident going into the second game. I think thistle could be done for, which is crazy as Livy have Lee Miller up front, and Partick have Sammon, Doolan and other guy we tried to sign. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doolan would be a solid signing if Partick went down. I know he has been linked with us in the past.

I reckon he still has a couple of years in him at 31. Always liked his movement off the ball and his link up play. Good for 7-10 goals a season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, harley said:

Cmon Livi. Deserved it tonight & I hope they do the same at Firhill. Any sympathy for Thistle goes out the window when they start singing the anti Killie songs. Every game I have seen them play against other teams they are slagging us off, What have we done to them? Get them stuffed Livi. 

I like the fact they hate us.

Give me fixtures against Thistle any day over Livi.

Plus Livingston is s cesspit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Souleycouley93 said:

Doolan would be a solid signing if Partick went down. I know he has been linked with us in the past.

I reckon he still has a couple of years in him at 31. Always liked his movement off the ball and his link up play. Good for 7-10 goals a season. 

Doolan wouldn't get near our team.

His in laws are all massive Killie fans right enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finely poised.  Livi well on top but the Championship team always run out of legs with the extra games played.

Were it not for the history of the playoffs, you'd have Livi as favourites, but I'm not so sure.

Bumper Thistle crowd, could see them getting the 1-0 in a nervy game and it going to pens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, RAG said:

Finely poised.  Livi well on top but the Championship team always run out of legs with the extra games played.

Livi and Partick have played the same number of games - 38 prior to last night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Pelesboots said:

Livi and Partick have played the same number of games - 38 prior to last night.

It isn't about the season total, it is the toll over the past few weeks. Usually smaller squads as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Prahakillie said:

It isn't about the season total, it is the toll over the past few weeks. Usually smaller squads as well. 

The schedule is almost the same as well, in fact Livy will have had an extra day rest before the play off final first leg over Partick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Prahakillie said:

It isn't about the season total, it is the toll over the past few weeks. 

Prior to last night Thistle have played 3 games in May and Livi played 2.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The play offs are a shambles - there is a perfectly functioning model in England, which they chose to ignore for self serving reasons.

Two teams should be automatically relegated from the Premiership, and one up. In the Championship, 2nd play 4th, 3rd play 5th and the winners play a one off final for promotion.

It means that there is no issue with weighting towards the Premiership teams, it spreads the money further down the leagues, and makes for more meaningful Championship games - if your team is eighth, but only a few points from fifth then there is still something to play for.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Scooby_Doo said:

The play offs are a shambles - there is a perfectly functioning model in England, which they chose to ignore for self serving reasons.

Two teams should be automatically relegated from the Premiership, and one up. In the Championship, 2nd play 4th, 3rd play 5th and the winners play a one off final for promotion.

It means that there is no issue with weighting towards the Premiership teams, it spreads the money further down the leagues, and makes for more meaningful Championship games - if your team is eighth, but only a few points from fifth then there is still something to play for.

 

Yes but the Premiership teams never agreed to a revised format as it works against them so this is the best deal championship clubs were allowed 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scooby_Doo said:

The play offs are a shambles - there is a perfectly functioning model in England, which they chose to ignore for self serving reasons.

Two teams should be automatically relegated from the Premiership, and one up. In the Championship, 2nd play 4th, 3rd play 5th and the winners play a one off final for promotion.

Surely the reward for finishing 2nd is a tie against the 5th placed team though? I get your point though - now that our relegation fears are behind us :ph34r:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't convince myself that finishing fourth in a league of ten should bring the reward of a level shot at promotion, never mind fifth.

If play offs are here to stay, and the Championship clubs were to take a longer term view, 2nd would go straight into the play-off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What about the winners of the 3rd vs 4th tie playing the Premiership team over two legs. The winners of this then play second in the championship in anone off game at a neutral venue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Livi go up then it's on merit. If a style of football works for the resources that a team has available to them then fair play to them for using it effectively. Hopkin has proved himself to be a very astute manager. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, historyman said:

If Livi go up then it's on merit. If a style of football works for the resources that a team has available to them then fair play to them for using it effectively. Hopkin has proved himself to be a very astute manager. 

Totally agree. It was interesting to read Jim Duffy's column in the paper through the week where he explained how Livingston had a style in League One that appealed more to the football purists but Hopkin felt he had to change things to have a chance in the Championship. I've heard John Hartson talking about Hopkin (Hartson does some coaching at Livi) and he is very impressed with the manager's attention to detail. It will be interesting to see what happens at Firhill tomorrow. I'll be listening in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


The Killie Trust

KFC Supporters Association

Young Kilmarnock

FC Kilmarnock

Kilmarnock FC (Official)

×