Jump to content

Recommended Posts

47 minutes ago, undefined said:

I wasn't at the march on Saturday but have attended a couple in the past.  When you're there, you tend to speak to various strangers being inadvertently caught up in the march.  Anyone I've spoken to tended to have the similar messages of encouragement or support.

"It's great intit" / "Wow, there's so many people" / "Ah don't usually bother wae politics (I'm too busy making the weans their cereal), but this is great". 

Additionally, from the front to the back of the march, there are usually so many different groups, all supporting indy for various reasons.  Labour for Independence, Tories For YES, Greens, SSP.

Like it or not, support for independence is on a knife edge.  A labour voter, spotting a Labour for Indy banner may have their head turned.  Undoubtedly there'll be plenty of people who simply aren't engaged who see these crowds and think: "Wow, I want to be a part of that"

Although, a tory voter, spotting a Tories for YES banner would probably self combust.

I can see the way it helps folks who are already passionate about independence provide each other with support and lets them know they are not alone and that they are part of a "Body".

However my feeling is that people who are not engaged could just as easily be turned off by the whole thing. Maybe I am wrong. 

It is certainly not going to soften the line of those totally opposed to independence and the really uncomfortable truth is that quite a large number of those people need to be won over to make independence a democratic reality. You actually need "Tories for Yes" to win a vote.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

Tories are political opponents and at least a quarter of your fellow countrymen will still be tories and Scottish and still there in any Indy Scotland. 

This point seems to be totally lost on the zealots who are convinced that when they win a referendum vote all the opposition to independence will simply vanish. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

................ and their ex leader is about to appear on trial for attempted rape, so I wouldn’t be too precious.

I agree that no party has a monopoly on the moral high ground but I am astonished that some people seem to think that discrediting Alex Salmond will make the appetite for independence just dry up and disappear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sandman396 said:

Are you trying to conflate the BBC with racists/bigots/rapists?

Interesting.

Is it everyone that disagrees with your point of view that is put in this box?

Where did I mention BBC?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gdevoy said:

It is certainly not going to soften the line of those totally opposed to independence

They aren't the people who we need to win over though.  People ideologically opposed to independence are never going to support it. I wouldn't waste my energy trying to convince them otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mclean07 said:

I oppose Tory governments, and have done all my life, but I would like to think I object to them in a civilised manner and not use the crude language of the gutter. I think it demeans the people themselves and their cause. I may be old fashioned, but what an example to children on that march and elsewhere. Believe you me, there are racists in the SNP, I’ve met them, it’s full of anti English bigots and their ex leader is about to appear on trial for attempted rape, so I wouldn’t be too precious. Tories are political opponents and at least a quarter of your fellow countrymen will still be tories and Scottish and still there in any Indy Scotland. 

I was absolutely certain you'd pipe up about Salmond when I mentioned rapists.  So much so, that the rapists bit was chucked in there to see if you'd react.

Your recent comment on the East ayrshire "cooncil" facebook page proves it.  You have him guilty before trial.  You and many others are absolutely desperate for him to be found guilty.

See if he is found guilty? He's a c**t. A rapist c**t. And he'll be slaughtered by the majority.  Until a verdict is reached however, he and his accusers deserve a fair trial.

Edited by undefined

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, gdevoy said:

At a football match it's about emotion. You want your emotion to be transferred to the guys on the park. That can be a very +ve thing in tight games. Although it can be counter productive.

With the independence thing these marches are just preaching to the converted.

So football is about emotion but these marches are "emotional hosecrap" (sic)?

The two are exactly the same. Like football supporters, the participants are passionate about their cause and they show there is still big support for another IndyRef to the 'team' who can deliver it ie. the politicians.

I didn't see you utter a single word of contempt in the 3 years the Union, UKIP, EU and sundry other banners were flown outside Westminster, so why do you clutch your 'Scottish cringe' tinged pearls so tightly at the appearance of the St. Andrews Cross on our streets?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many people have died due to Tory policies over the decades ? How many died after being told that they were fit for work? How many have taken their own life's? The Tories are rightly hated by I would guess most people in Scotland. There is a lot worse going on than a few dafties with placards. Then anything to have a go at folk who want Independence. I'm sure during the miners strike years ago there were placards non too complimentary to the Tories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, undefined said:

Where did I mention BBC?

You quoted a post with a pic calling the BBC "c**ts" and then proceeded to refer to c**ts in your own post before moving on to your comments about rapists etc. 

Perhaps you should read your posts again for understanding. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Sandman396 said:

You quoted a post with a pic calling the BBC "c**ts" and then proceeded to refer to c**ts in your own post before moving on to your comments about rapists etc. 

Perhaps you should read your posts again for understanding. 

Perhaps you should read my posts again for understanding. Nowhere on any of the posts I've made do

a) I reference the bbc

b) I quote a reference to the bbc

If you've correlated me saying the word "c**t" with the BBC, then it says more about your opinion of the BBC than it does mine. 

My comments are a direct response to McLeans implication that Scotland is not / would not be a tolerant society. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, undefined said:

Perhaps you should read my posts again for understanding. Nowhere on any of the posts I've made do

a) I reference the bbc

b) I quote a reference to the bbc

If you've correlated me saying the word "c**t" with the BBC, then it says more about your opinion of the BBC than it does mine. 

My comments are a direct response to McLeans implication that Scotland is not / would not be a tolerant society. 

 

You are still not reading fully what you post and quote. 

Poor show. Poor show. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Scooter said:

I didn't see you utter a single word of contempt in the 3 years the Union, UKIP, EU and sundry other banners were flown outside Westminster, so why do you clutch your 'Scottish cringe' tinged pearls so tightly at the appearance of the St. Andrews Cross on our streets?

I am appalled at the amount of union flag waving involved in Brexit. It us an economic train crash wrapped up in a chorus of Land of Hope and Glory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Sandman396 said:

You are still not reading fully what you post and quote. 

Poor show. Poor show. 

I genuinely thought you were sharper than this. Ah well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, gdevoy said:

I am appalled at the amount of union flag waving involved in Brexit. It us an economic train crash wrapped up in a chorus of Land of Hope and Glory.

Aye whatever, empty words as usual! You're "appalled" but will not do anything to change the status quo!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, undefined said:

I genuinely thought you were sharper than this. Ah well. 

Still in first gear and yet I am streaking away from you. :2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Scooter said:

Aye whatever, empty words as usual! You're "appalled" but will not do anything to change the status quo!

 

Not only that, he'll criticise any attempts made by anyone to try to change the status quo. 

Yet when asked to recommend an action he approves of... Silence. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Scooter said:

Aye whatever, empty words as usual! You're "appalled" but will not do anything to change the status quo!

 

You mean like waving a saltire furiously is somehow better than a union flag?

I see that despite all the furious saltire waving at the weekend Mr Johnston has not even found the time to grace The First Minister with a "f**k Off" in response to her referendum enquiry.

Maybe we just need to wave those flags more intensely and wear more tartan.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gdevoy said:

You mean like waving a saltire furiously is somehow better than a union flag?

I see that despite all the furious saltire waving at the weekend Mr Johnston has not even found the time to grace The First Minister with a "f**k Off" in response to her referendum enquiry.

Maybe we just need to wave those flags more intensely and wear more tartan.

 

...Silence 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, undefined said:

I was absolutely certain you'd pipe up about Salmond when I mentioned rapists.  So much so, that the rapists bit was chucked in there to see if you'd react.

Your recent comment on the East ayrshire "cooncil" facebook page proves it.  You have him guilty before trial.  You and many others are absolutely desperate for him to be found guilty.

See if he is found guilty? He's a c**t. A rapist c**t. And he'll be slaughtered by the majority.  Until a verdict is reached however, he and his accusers deserve a fair trial.

Oh dear, someone else stalking posters on social media and bringing it on to the forum. Must say, I always think that is bad form. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

Oh dear, someone else stalking posters on social media and bringing it on to the forum. Must say, I always think that is bad form. 

You made a remark on a public page with 13,000 readers. It's not really "stalking" is it?  I read a comment, saw the profile picture and thought "That HAS to be McLean".  It seems I was right.

Must say, I think it's extremely bad form to try to use rape allegations as a way to score political points while a case is going through court.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, EKX16 said:

How many people have died due to Tory policies over the decades ? 

Estimated extra austerity deaths @ 30,000 (2017 Royal Society of medicine) to 120,000 (Institute for Public Policy Research 2019). What is more tangible is the drop off in UK life expectancy for first time ever, during the tory austerity period. 

Edited by RAG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, undefined said:

You made a remark on a public page with 13,000 readers. It's not really "stalking" is it?  I read a comment, saw the profile picture and thought "That HAS to be McLean".  It seems I was right.

Must say, I think it's extremely bad form to try to use rape allegations as a way to score political points while a case is going through court.

I never said he was guilty. Just the state we would have been in with the new Scotland’s first ever FM probably having had to resign over sexual charges and our economy in tatters due to the collapse of oil revenue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mclean07 said:

I never said he was guilty. Just the state we would have been in with the new Scotland’s first ever FM probably having had to resign over sexual charges and our economy in tatters due to the collapse of oil revenue. 

I am reasonably confident, based on the Scottish Government published White Paper and subsequent events, that if Alex Salmond had won the 2014 referendum that Scotland's economy would be in a similar state to that of the current Ferguson Marine Ferry contract.

I'm also reasonably confident that if Salmond had won the 2014 referendum any sexual misconduct allegations against him would never have seen the light of day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Mclean07 said:

I never said he was guilty. Just the state we would have been in with the new Scotland’s first ever FM probably having had to resign over sexual charges and our economy in tatters due to the collapse of oil revenue. 

I never said you did.  You used, and are continuing to use rape allegations in an effort to validate your viewpoint that Scotland could/should/might not be capable of being an independent country.

If our FM does resign, regardless of the reasons why - the governing party will elect a new one.  The rest of us are free to elect another at the next election.  It is in no way relevant to the ability of an independent scotland to function.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


The Killie Trust

KFC Supporters Association

Young Kilmarnock

FC Kilmarnock

Kilmarnock FC (Official)

×