January transfer

Craigieboy

6 hours ago, cammy2012 said:

Who'd have thought we'd be having such a desperate and sadly downbeat discussion  like this last May? Steve Clarke's departure has been unbelievably mismanaged.

This, its the most annoying aspect of the whole thing, we've shot ourselves in the foot. Let's be honest we never really feel like we have a plan when it comes to transfer windows (Lee Clark signing 25 guys in 1 day etc.)

Most of the disappointment on here is the fact we haven't capitalised on what Clarke achieved, and been able to attract a better standard of player using that

I have to admit although he hasn't been in the job that long but if we have another poor transfer market here surely the decision to appoint Fowler who has no experience will come under scrutiny. He oversees football matters. The lack of addressing obvious key positions has not only meant we are going to get nowhere close to last season but we are back now to worrying about our top flight status. 

Edited by kfc_superteam

It's been obvious where the squad is lacking for so long! Targets should have been identified ages ago and ready to sign on January 1st, otherwise what has Fowler been doing? My patience in the summer was rewarded with Osman Sow, so f**k it... I'm kicking aff! Give us a signing now!

Whilst the board, Fow and Dyer might be quite relaxed and thinking there's still 3 weeks of the transfer window left, after the cup game, we play Celtic a week on Wednesday, St Johnstone on the Saturday and Ross County a week after that - season defining games.  At present, our squad, I believe, is nowhere near sufficient and we need players in of real quality who will be ready to go for these matches in,  We simply cannot leave it much past this weekend to start strengthening the team.

50 minutes ago, kfc_superteam said:

I have to admit although he hasn't been in the job that long but if we have another poor transfer market here surely the decision to appoint Fowler who has no experience will come under scrutiny. He oversees football matters. The lack of addressing obvious key positions has not only meant we are going to get nowhere close to last season but we are back now to worrying about our top flight status. 

This is Fowler’s first window involved in. Better the judge him in summer window.

2 minutes ago, Barbinho said:

Bollocks.  He'll be judged on this window, and rightly so.

Definitely! It's what he was brought in to do, and as I said above - the deficiencies in the squad have been obvious for ages. It's not like we've just lost our star players and he needs to react.

Just now, Scooby_Doo said:

Hi Ladies and Gentlemen, thanks for tuning in to Insanity FM, where commenters begin to question an appointment based on a failed transfer window, more than twenty days before it finished.

Wibble.

We have games WELL before the transfer window ends.  We need players in for those games.  People are right to be concerned,

8 hours ago, cammy2012 said:

Who'd have thought we'd be having such a desperate and sadly downbeat discussion  like this last May? Steve Clarke's departure has been unbelievably mismanaged.

And, after BB’s hubris about challenging for the title and having the best manager in the country, you couldn’t blame the rest of Scottish football if it revelled in our plight. 

16 minutes ago, skygod said:

And, after BB’s hubris about challenging for the title and having the best manager in the country, you couldn’t blame the rest of Scottish football if it revelled in our plight. 

To be fair, we did top the 2018 year league table.

The manager appointment, not so much.

Edited by NorfolkG

23 minutes ago, bizza_89 said:

It's been obvious where the squad is lacking for so long! Targets should have been identified ages ago and ready to sign on January 1st, otherwise what has Fowler been doing? My patience in the summer was rewarded with Osman Sow, so f**k it... I'm kicking aff! Give us a signing now!

Unfortunately where the squad is lacking has been since this time last year. 

Whether we like to admit it or not, Clarke also failed in finding the creativity we really craved. Even though I thought McAleny was a smashing player he didnt really fill the "playmaker" role.

Fowler's main aim when he was brought it was to make sure we are better in the transfer market, to begin with anyway.

If we have a terrible January as far as I'm concerned he will be under a lot of scrutiny from fans. It will blatantly be seen as failure

11 hours ago, Fletch said:

We've had a bad spell but if we can sort out our system again I don't think quality is as drastic as that.

We could mess this up big time but I wouldn't say our squad is anything of the level of bottom 2 and that's before we add anyone. If Hamilton, St Mirren, Ross County or Livingston finish outside the bottom 4 they have over achieved for what they have available.

3 decent signings in the right positions and we're a**** the better squads in the league again.

When you are considering the quality of our squad you should remember that we havent won any of the last matches against all of those teams you have listed.
Results don't lie - we are currently no better than any of them. The only team we have beaten in months are sitting at the bottom of the league.

5 minutes ago, historyman said:

When you are considering the quality of our squad you should remember that we havent won any of the last matches against all of those teams you have listed.
Results don't lie - we are currently no better than any of them. The only team we have beaten in months are sitting at the bottom of the league.

And you need to consider we lost our manager, we've been trying to replace him and that the players had chucked it before he was out the door. It's not all been down to squad quality. We're lacking in a few positions but because St Mirren beat us (without Findlay, SOD or Power) doesn't all of a sudden mean they have a stronger squad than us. If I'm honest they have very few players I would take here, even to enhance our squad options.

Edited by Fletch

7 minutes ago, historyman said:

Fowler has had a huge influence on sacking Alessio and giving the job to Dyer until the end of the season.  He's made his mark already.  If we fail to make good, quality additions to the squad in this window and continue to struggle he's under massive pressure and will lose the support of the fans IMO.

Just now, historyman said:

We now have one of the most threadbare squads in the league. What would our current bench look like? Who could we bring in that we think could make an impact or influence the game? If Brophy got injured what would we have up front? Kilite on his own? We are miles away from where we need to be.

And the St Mirren team that practically played us off the park were missing 3 out of their normal back 4 and since then they have made 2 new signings.
Since then we have released 3 players and brought 1 back from loan.

I repeat - we are miles away from where we need to be. 

This.  Fowler and the board take note.

26 minutes ago, Fletch said:

And you need to consider we lost our manager, we've been trying to replace him ....

Didn’t try very hard! 

Doubt we interviewed anyone and gave it to a guy who wouldn’t apply.  

In other words, kicked the can down the road and hope that we can salvage something from the season. 

37 minutes ago, historyman said:

I agree we probably need six. But I don't think think it's as bleak as that. With coaching, management and avoiding injuries that first eleven is strong. 

An eleven that we have matched the third placed side in the league which is scoring for fun and only lost because of a blunder. 

A couple of players and good managenent and that squad is capable of top six this season. Big worry as to whether we have the good management... 

Edited by mitch14